Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Wossner Pistons for Nitrous use, still alive  (Read 12780 times)

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Wossner Pistons for Nitrous use, still alive
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:56:49 AM »
I purchased two sets of Wossner pistons to be used in nitrous bikes. They are a tall deck, heavy duty piston, similar to a Turbo piston, but with less dish to them. They have been running in two nitrous bikes (1, 1397 only making about 275HP, the other a stroker 1535)

We were planning on seeing what kind of power the bigger bike woudl make, but the crank let go on the dyno.

Crank didn't hold up so well, but the pistons are still great with no issues and the pins still slide out of them (I have seen some VERY tight pins in some other pistons after use, not necessarily a bad thing I guess, but these didn't get tight).

Not trying to be a huge Wossner nut swinger, but I have a set of turbo pistons in my bike as well. I haven't torn the top end down since the build since there is still nearly zero blowby on the motor and it still runs strong. there may be pistons as good as these available, but that said, I have not yet found any issues with these, and the price is reasonable.

The pins are a very heavy duty, thick wall design. This does add weight to the piston, and with a very high revving normally aspirated application, likely are not worth the extra weight. The thicker wall does add a considerable amount of stiffness to the pins.

They come with a graphite-like skirt coating as well

I have no reason not to use them in my future builds, and probably will :tu: :bike:

Ring gaps are wider than most probably use, but I have been using these wider gaps without any problems. Here they are for future reference when someone searches for "ring gap"  :lol:
84mm Nitrous pistons have ring gap at ~.022 top, .025 second
81mm Turbo pistons have ring gap at ~.018 top, .023 second

This is a picture of the nitrous pistons when new (kind of shitty since it was a cell phone pic). They still look similar, obviously with some coloring on the tops

This is the crank....it looked a little different when we put it in  :bah:

Another point to note is that the rods from this motor seem to be fine. They are being check today I believe, but still going strong, even after the crank broke in half (Bearing surfaces look like new on the rods and mains, other than some edge issues on the broken journal rid from the journal machining a bit of the bearing away.

John
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
Re: Wossner Pistons for Nitrous use, still alive
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »
I purchased two sets of Wossner pistons to be used in nitrous bikes. They are a tall deck, heavy duty piston, similar to a Turbo piston, but with less dish to them. They have been running in two nitrous bikes (1, 1397 only making about 275HP, the other a stroker 1535)

We were planning on seeing what kind of power the bigger bike woudl make, but the crank let go on the dyno.

Crank didn't hold up so well, but the pistons are still great with no issues and the pins still slide out of them (I have seen some VERY tight pins in some other pistons after use, not necessarily a bad thing I guess, but these didn't get tight).

Not trying to be a huge Wossner nut swinger, but I have a set of turbo pistons in my bike as well. I haven't torn the top end down since the build since there is still nearly zero blowby on the motor and it still runs strong. there may be pistons as good as these available, but that said, I have not yet found any issues with these, and the price is reasonable.

The pins are a very heavy duty, thick wall design. This does add weight to the piston, and with a very high revving normally aspirated application, likely are not worth the extra weight. The thicker wall does add a considerable amount of stiffness to the pins.

They come with a graphite-like skirt coating as well

I have no reason not to use them in my future builds, and probably will :tu: :bike:

Ring gaps are wider than most probably use, but I have been using these wider gaps without any problems. Here they are for future reference when someone searches for "ring gap"  :lol:
84mm Nitrous pistons have ring gap at ~.022 top, .025 second
81mm Turbo pistons have ring gap at ~.018 top, .023 second

This is a picture of the nitrous pistons when new (kind of shitty since it was a cell phone pic). They still look similar, obviously with some coloring on the tops

This is the crank....it looked a little different when we put it in  :bah:

Another point to note is that the rods from this motor seem to be fine. They are being check today I believe, but still going strong, even after the crank broke in half (Bearing surfaces look like new on the rods and mains, other than some edge issues on the broken journal rid from the journal machining a bit of the bearing away.

John

I like your gap settings!!!  To tight they butt and lift the lands!

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
Yeah, we had that happen once on a JE 84mm flat top. Broke the ring into 8 pieces adn actually pushed the ring out and made a sort of gouge in the cylinder. No better way to learn thatn through actual experience.

I haven't seen any negatives of the big gaps. Doesn't really seem to hurt performance.

Put a good ring in the cylinder and squared it as if checking the gap, then shined a light into the cylinder from underneath adn saw the light on the contact side of the ring. That technique seems to work pretty good for checking cyl roundness.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:56:32 AM by sportbikeryder »
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.

Offline altiki

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:19:04 AM »
Who has the wossners in stock like the ones described, that is exactly what I am looking for!!!
Altiki Racing Hayabusa Forever

Offline KerrdoggRPS

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »
How much for part pf the crank? I am building a new display for PRI this year and like things that grab attention, like our 8" diameter aluminum mandrel bend :)
Thanks,

John Kerr

08 B-King
11 Corvette GS
11 Tundra

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
Who has the wossners in stock like the ones described, that is exactly what I am looking for!!!

Check your PM's. :tu:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »
Not sure anyone has any in stock. They were not an off the shelf piston. The pistons are still going strong, now in a 1397 motor. Good enough for 170 mph for the less than lightweight rider.  :tu:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:55:14 PM by sportbikeryder »

Offline mysticblu999

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • turbohead
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
That crank pic hurts my eyes :eek:
2007 Hayabusa Super Ultra (in progress)    
2013 Hayabusa Limited (on order)
2008 RM250 (for jumping stuff)

Super Ultra build thread http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=160376.new#new

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »
That crank pic hurts my eyes :eek:

8)

Sometimes stuff like that happens when you start going big....Crazy thing is that the only parts that needed to be replaced were the Crank (obvioulsy), Bearings, 2 exhaust valves, and head gasket. Even the rod  that was on that journal was just fine.

Offline mysticblu999

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • turbohead
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:41 PM »
I understand. I had a meltdown that is being taken care of at the moment. Pics on turbo talk. Sorry about your loss.
2007 Hayabusa Super Ultra (in progress)    
2013 Hayabusa Limited (on order)
2008 RM250 (for jumping stuff)

Super Ultra build thread http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=160376.new#new

Offline boostking

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Looks like I found my next set of pistons

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »
Still going strong!