Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Mojave Mile  (Read 79361 times)

Offline WildBro

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
  • NO Fairies Here
    • Wild Bros Racing
Re: Mojave Mile
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »
Well Scott it is a joke (that number, that is).  I knew what exactly the guy that was at the event said to explain the number and he has seen it in roadracing several times even showing a speed up 400.
Now that explanation is taken off the post... who got to you Jeff???  Feel free to post it again.
This is not stirring the pot, but more like a use of a centrifuge to get the crap to precipitate out.

Bill
 :bike:

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »

Bill I asked Jeff to edit the part about the joke as it was not a joke when I posted it nor was it intended to be a joke. The negativety in this thread had finally died down so I asked him to please not stir things up. Jeff chose to remove the entire post. Again, merely this is what the GPS said when we pulled it from the bike. I would get where you were coming from if I came on here and said hey Noonan went 314 mph and here is the GPS to prove it, but that was never the case. You have twisted this and implied that was my intenion when it was not.

Well Scott it is a joke (that number, that is).  I knew what exactly the guy that was at the event said to explain the number and he has seen it in roadracing several times even showing a speed up 400.
Now that explanation is taken off the post... who got to you Jeff???  Feel free to post it again.
This is not stirring the pot, but more like a use of a centrifuge to get the crap to precipitate out.

Bill
 :bike:
Seek to understand, then to be understood.

Offline brmrc51

• Rider
  • DUMP PIPES SAVE LIVES !
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »
bill, best to be fastest guy with the smallest mouth, then to be another fast guy with a BIG mouth  :duh:

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »
bill, best to be fastest guy with the smallest mouth, then to be another fast guy with a BIG mouth  :duh:

Oh good, more intelligent contributions.

I'm looking forward to reading John's posts on this issue, and seeing how things play out ON THE TRACK.

Hope to see you all there.

Dean

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
I was not going to say anthing but when I saw the picture I knew that there would be trouble. I and others have an idea of what it would take to go that fast in a longer distance, in my opinion it will never happen in a mile, again my opinion. I have seen that pic on several sites and there are people that don't know any better
that believe everthing that they see. I have had people ask me if it was true and I told them no way. I've seen gps show wrong numbers several times, I even went 208 in the 1/4 mile, but knew it was bogus since I had been running high 180's all night and the pro street guys were running low 200's.  There is lots of money, time and pride at stake at going the top speeds. Bill speaks his mind (when others of us are thinking it), he's is highly competitive and very passionate about what he's doing. Like him or not you have to admire his ambition and testicular fortitude. Hopefully we can find out what caused the accident so that NO ONE else gets hurt or dies. Thanks, Tom   

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
Well saidTom! Gps speeds dont mean sh--. Timing slips are the only thing that counts.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
fred, yes timing slips are what counts for most folks involved in lsr....

i keep getting emails about so and so going 300, people all over the world see this...

its like going to a theatre and seeing a firey action seen.....and posting publicly
that "you should have seen the big fire at the theatre".......

then sitting back....and "watching" the fallout...

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline jasontmc

• Post Whore
    • We all know one.
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »
First off let me say I'm glad John was not seriously injured in his get off. I spoke with John on the phone and it sounds like he is bruised but not broken.  He is a tough nut and I know he will be back soon enough!

Like Tom and many others, I knew that the gps reading would cause a stir.

In the dark ages of lsr, there would be gps postings from 9/10 events. The racers running SCTA and ECTA events dismissed the gps readings as they can easily be manipulated and are prone to erroneous readings.

Now many years later a gps reading causes a stir again!

The gps I use at bonneville has a time vs speed function which allows one to see the accurate speed or any discrepancies in acceleration or speed. If John's gps has this function it would be easy to show the actual speed when the bike crashed.

I don't believe that Scott or John would try to pass off the 314 gps reading as an accurate speed of the bike before, during or after the crash. Unfortunately there are many racers seeking sponsorship and working on lsr deals at present and the internet buzz that a guy went 314 mph in california detracts from what they are trying to achieve.

See you on the salt!

J.

Sponsored by: CATALYST COMPOSITES, RCC Turbos,
Scott Guthrie Racing, Helmet House, NJK Leathers, Atomic Speedware, Innovate, Bridgestone, Dumonde tech oils, Spider grips, Boost by Smith, Worldwide Bearings.

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
First off let me say I'm glad John was not seriously injured in his get off. I spoke with John on the phone and it sounds like he is bruised but not broken.  He is a tough nut and I know he will be back soon enough!

So are you, Jason!

Between you, John and Russ, you guys have over 600 mph in combined get-offs.  

The three of you guys are tough as nails!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
No doubt Walt! Jason was racing again very soon after his accident. He had on his Superman underoos.

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »
Don't forget Fred at Bonneville, that makes 800 mph of get-offs. Let's not make it 1000.   LSL
All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »
I am going to do my best not to raise the number, again. :bike:
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline jasontmc

• Post Whore
    • We all know one.
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
Me too Fred. That is one record i'm glad to loose!!!
Sponsored by: CATALYST COMPOSITES, RCC Turbos,
Scott Guthrie Racing, Helmet House, NJK Leathers, Atomic Speedware, Innovate, Bridgestone, Dumonde tech oils, Spider grips, Boost by Smith, Worldwide Bearings.

Offline Stubbs

• Post Whore
  • 265+mph Club
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »
I am going to do my best not to raise the number, again. :bike:

that's one club membership I don't need hanging on my wall  :tu:

I got off once on a road course years ago at about 150 in a sweeper  (long curve) even at that speed I was luck to be here  :D
265 mph Naked Loring (World record)
262 mph Naked #ecta Arkansas Track record
253.4 mph Naked Texas mile
241.8 mph Half mile (WR)
248 naked Colorado Mile (TR)/TredwayStubbs Racing
248 naked ECTA~Ohio (TR) / TredwayStubbs Racing
264 ECTA~Maxton SGR
259.9 Texas Mile SGR & Mr Turbo
265 LTA Loring 09 SGR
277.9 Texas Mile Victoria Track Record
245.6 Texas Mile Beeville 2.0 Track Record
251.6 ECTA New Mexico Naked Track Record

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
I call it the " Down over 200mph and walked away Club". The good thing is we lived to race another day. :moped:
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph

Offline Stubbs

• Post Whore
  • 265+mph Club
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
I call it the " Down over 200mph and walked away Club". The good thing is we lived to race another day. :moped:

:thumb:
265 mph Naked Loring (World record)
262 mph Naked #ecta Arkansas Track record
253.4 mph Naked Texas mile
241.8 mph Half mile (WR)
248 naked Colorado Mile (TR)/TredwayStubbs Racing
248 naked ECTA~Ohio (TR) / TredwayStubbs Racing
264 ECTA~Maxton SGR
259.9 Texas Mile SGR & Mr Turbo
265 LTA Loring 09 SGR
277.9 Texas Mile Victoria Track Record
245.6 Texas Mile Beeville 2.0 Track Record
251.6 ECTA New Mexico Naked Track Record

Offline dpc1235

• Rider
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:42 AM »
Well saidTom! Gps speeds dont mean sh--. Timing slips are the only thing that counts.

Just to put another wrench in the mix. I once ran a 1/4 mile drag race. et was 8.74 with a 301mph speed(according to the time slip) on a busa. I wish I had kept the time slip that night. That is why you have to back it up.  :D

Offline LE05BUSA

• Rider
  • If you say so...
    • LABusas.oRg
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
John is no rookie, but maybe something worst.... someone that went fast once in the past and now trying to play catchup with out walking through the necessary steps and knowledge.

Bill

I find this to be the funniest post in this thread...and the truest showing of Bill's character.   :td:

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
"John is no rookie, but maybe something worst.... someone that went fast once in the past and now trying to play catchup with out walking through the necessary steps and knowledge." 

Now that is just so wrong in so many ways I cannot believe you wrote that, let alone think it! I have watched John race for years now and have nothing but respect and admiration for his abilities.

Thought LSR was a haven from all the trash talking,it used to be.

Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
"John is no rookie, but maybe something worst.... someone that went fast once in the past and now trying to play catchup with out walking through the necessary steps and knowledge." 

Now that is just so wrong in so many ways I cannot believe you wrote that, let alone think it! I have watched John race for years now and have nothing but respect and admiration for his abilities.

...anybody know this guy? :lol:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2011, 06:02:07 PM »
from the outside of this lil controversy...

I consider John a friend, he has helped me out plenty.
I consider Bill a friend, he has helped me out plenty.

From the outside, it appears that Bill has a point.
I have been told by two major 30 year Bonneville "experts" that the aeros of John's package are very tricky, much wind tunnel work is needed to help assure stability, "center of pressure" and that kind of stuff.
Does SCTA allow that style bodywork?
However, on LSR John said it was not due to aeros, but he didn't really say what he thought it was.

A year ago, at the Texas Mile, I pitted with Bill, saw him experimenting with new plastic, no where near as radical as John's, but Bill had stability issues.  Finally he ran naked, set the naked record
Then he went back to the drawing board and apparently solved them, ran 278 at Texas in Oct, no apparent stability issues. He was in a wind tunnel earlier this year working on further improving the aeros.  He logs everything including chassis data, never quits developing.

Bill's observations may prevent someone less experienced than John from hurting himself.

Personally, I applaud Bill's one voice against many  :thumb:

And, i would sure like to hear John's thoughts on the aeros/stability of that package.

Karl
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:54:54 PM by entropy »
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »
Great post Karl  :thumb:
IMO whenever there's and accident, there always should be an investigation of some sort handled by the track. They should then post or release for everyone to learn from to help anyone else avoid an accident in the future.

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2011, 06:54:04 PM »
IMO whenever there's and accident, there always should be an investigation of some sort handled by the track. They should then post or release for everyone to learn from to help anyone else avoid an accident in the future.

HUGE agreement.
Bill & Dean & Shane & Tom have all done over 260 and each are hunting for more, they are each friends to most of us.
Anything shared that could prevent them or someone else from getting hurt in their pursuit of crazy speeds is needed. No not just needed, but fukken obligatory!

We don't depend on fukken rules to keep us safe, we depend on our common sense, testing, and sharing.

That said, I'm just an NA guy who hasn't cracked 220, so don't listen to me. :bike:
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »

If that's the case i have a slip for 397mph from Bonneville back in 03, I just couldn't back it up..but its true!!

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
Great post Karl.  :tu:

I agree with Tom too about the accident investigation. That is a very good idea.

from the outside of this lil controversy...

I consider John a friend, he has helped me out plenty.
I consider Bill a friend, he has helped me out plenty.

From the outside, it appears that Bill has a point.
I have been told by two major 30 year Bonneville "experts" that the aeros of John's package are very tricky, much wind tunnel work is needed to help assure stability, "center of pressure" and that kind of stuff.
Does SCTA allow that style bodywork?
However, on LSR John said it was not due to aeros, but he didn't really say what he thought it was.

A year ago, at the Texas Mile, I pitted with Bill, saw him experimenting with new plastic, no where near as radical as John's, but Bill had stability issues.  Finally he ran naked, set the naked record
Then he went back to the drawing board and apparently solved them, ran 278 at Texas in Oct, no apparent stability issues. He was in a wind tunnel earlier this year working on further improving the aeros.  He logs everything including chassis data, never quits developing.

Bill's observations may prevent someone less experienced than John from hurting himself.

Personally, I applaud Bill's one voice against many  :thumb:

And, i would sure like to hear John's thoughts on the aeros/stability of that package.

Karl

2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave