Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: On My 09............  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
On My 09............
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
I just finished changing out the recalled voltage regulator - no issues.   Then, since I had 500 miles on the bike, I changed the oil and filter.

I gotta say, those new Gen II plastics kinda suck comin' off and goin' back on compared to my old '01.  Anyways, I got that done and was using a litre bottle of fresh oil to top off the bike.............needless to say I put a tad too much in, and no, I did not put in the entire litre......I put in about 3 1/2 quarts.  With the bike standing straight up the oil covers the sight glass just past the black line but as soon as you lean the bike just a degree or two to the left, the oil line is visible.  If I had to measure, I would say it is about 1/8" to 3/16ths" high in the sight glass.  The simple and obvious question is.........should I drain some out?  My guess is that it is about 1/3 quart over full.  Certainly no more than 1/2. 

:oops:

Also, what do you guys recommend I put on the odometer before changing over to a full synthetic like Motul. 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
Re: On My 09............
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
Leave it be. Id put a good 1000 miles if not 2000 miles on it. Id change oil again around 1000 and then the next oil change id shove synthetic in it.

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
I have put a full 4 quarts in my '08 from day 1, never and issues.  Put 1000 miles on this oil change then the synthetic if you want to.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
Thanks guys,
                       I am just gonna ride the pee-pee outta it and switch to synthetic next change.
Dave

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
I used to run a half quart over on my ZX11 all the time as they were known for cooking the #3 bearing and I used to hang three gear wheelies on her all the time wheelie,lol,never had a problem.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
I used to run a half quart over on my ZX11 all the time as they were known for cooking the #3 bearing and I used to hang three gear wheelies on her all the time wheelie,lol,never had a problem.

Had 3 friends that all had that problem. I did a bore kit and a undercut tranny so while it was apart Kerry at Schnitz did some mods to assure #3 wouldnt starve for oil. :thumb:

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
[/quote]

Had 3 friends that all had that problem. I did a bore kit and a undercut tranny so while it was apart Kerry at Schnitz did some mods to assure #3 wouldnt starve for oil. :thumb:
[/quote]

It's funny I never had a problem with any of my ZX11's and I had three of them,I had 25,000 on my 1990 / 18,000 on my 1992 / and 45,000 on my 1994 which was the updated dual ram air model. My 94 was wheelied from here to china,down the drag strip at least 500 times as we used to do track rentals all the time,never mind the street racing and basically it was ridin like it was stolen,lol. I ran a 10.16 and my friend ran a 10.02 on it at Lebanon Raceway,NY (2000ft above see level) with stock wheel base just lowered with a Vance & Hines pipe,pump gas. I loved my Kawi's back then for sure,I remember hearing about the bike and that my friend had bought one so I was excited to run into him,at the time I was on a Ninja 900 and getting bored with it so was ready for something knew. So I'm standing in front of this local bar and there he was rolling by at about 20mph,he looks over and gives me a little nod and whacks the throttle open and the tire just start incinerating for a good 300' and I said to myself I gotta have one!!! So he turned around and I jumped on for a test ride,got on the highway and blasted up to 160mph in the blink of an eye,no helmet back then as we were stupid and indestructable at that age,lol, and so began the addiction to road evaporating big bore speed. The End,well not really then the Busa came out and it started all over again,lol.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
Geez, you guys now make me think that running a little extra oil is actually preferable to just puttin' the level in the window.  I dunno if it is me or the bike, but lately, every time I get on the thing and spank it, it seems to get a hair faster..............either that or this geezer is gettin' a little slower in the uptake.   They say that some of the first signs of Alzheimer's is that the world seems to be goin' by faster than ya can take it in.  Maybe I should check with Cookie on that one, he is about my age.  (Where did I put that Aricept?)   :hys:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
Perception is everything!!!! As long as you think your going fast that's all that matters,safer too, if in fact you are getting Alzheimers,lol

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
I alwasy's felt that most of my bikes that I bought new,6 of them to be exact,really broke in around 800 to 1000 miles the bike's front end starts lifting and floating out just wacking the throttle open,shifts become slicker,the motor just get smoother and revs quicker,thought it was in my head the first bike but it's been consistent with all my other new bikes as well. Your not getting Alzheimer's your becoming one with your machine Grasshopper,lol. I didn't realize you had just bought the bike Dave,I have run my oil a half quart over every oil change on all my busa's and haven't had an issue in the 100k Ive had between all of them,would stress for a second over it.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:24:14 PM »
gip 1300,

Yeah, I just picked this bike up in December..........it was a new left-over Silver/Gray '09 and the dealership was 200 miles away.  They were nice enough to bring the bike to my front door in an enclosed trailer for a couple of extra bucks.  Some of you guys may recall I used to have an '01 with a modified MC Xpress kit on it...........this new stocker pulls in third and 4th almost like it has a-half-a-turbo on it.   I am very impressed with what Suzuki did to these bikes when they redid them in '08.  The handling and suspension seem slicker than on my old bike.   The only downside for me so far, is the multitude of fasteners on the plastics.  Just changing the oil takes more patience than it did with my old '01.   

"Step UP or Step Aside"