Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 03 r1 hp limits  (Read 9535 times)

Offline jbeans69

• Apprentice Post Whore
03 r1 hp limits
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
I have a buddy that has an 02-03 r1 that is getting a gt2860rs put on rite now and the builder thought 225-230hp no problem. But i talked to another shop and they didn't think it wud handle that. Maybe only around 190. Does anyone know what its limits are. HP or psi.  Its a bone stock motor

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
Re: 03 r1 hp limits
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
All i know from a couple of guys over here that have put turbo's on R1's is there very easy to damage compared to the gsxr 1k, something to do with the 5 valve head and cyl temps , esp with std compression, i would be cautious about how much hp to aim for ,5 psi maybe ??  , and be sure your dyno guy has turbo experiance
Official Site Donor

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »
yes the 5 valve head has issues and also dues that clutch holdin that power have to instal a barnett spring set up

Offline jbeans69

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
5 psi is what he was thinking about running maybe less. He was aiming for 210-230 sumwhere around there. We already put a Barnett clutch in when his stock started slipping a lil. But thanks for the info guys  :tu:

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
5 psi is what he was thinking about running maybe less. He was aiming for 210-230 sumwhere around there. We already put a Barnett clutch in when his stock started slipping a lil. But thanks for the info guys  :tu:

:thumb:

Offline FastazzR1

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »
My R1 is putting down close to 300rwhp on 12lbs of boost with a stock motor. It's on E85 though and I've been running this setup for over a year with no problems. Can you guys tell me where you get this info from? Is this from personal experience?

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
2 guys i exchange information with often here in Australia that have both built R1 turbo's from scratch, both experianced turbo fab and fitters both had "issues" at ~5-6 psi on pump with an 02 and i think 04 or 5 , more decompressing and a lot more care with timing and a/f  fixed the probs , the damage just happened so fast on quick runs , not even leaning on it hard yet .
Official Site Donor

Offline jbeans69

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
FastazzR1. I read ur posts on the r1 fourm. What kinda mileage u get outta a tank.  How hard do u ride ur bike. Have u had any issues with ur system. Did u build it?  What did u have to do to the fuel system. Did u ever tune for any other fuel or just e85

Offline FastazzR1

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
2 guys i exchange information with often here in Australia that have both built R1 turbo's from scratch, both experianced turbo fab and fitters both had "issues" at ~5-6 psi on pump with an 02 and i think 04 or 5 , more decompressing and a lot more care with timing and a/f  fixed the probs , the damage just happened so fast on quick runs , not even leaning on it hard yet .

I see stories like this and really don't know what to say. I wonder if I'm just lucky. I know of two other R1's that make around 220-240hp on 5-7lbs of boost on pump gas with stock motors. And they have never reported any problems and I haven't had any problems either. I know tuning has a lot to do with it living, but that's with any motor. I don't know, but maybe the guys you talk to did something wrong. Go figure.

Offline FastazzR1

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »
FastazzR1. I read ur posts on the r1 fourm. What kinda mileage u get outta a tank.  How hard do u ride ur bike. Have u had any issues with ur system. Did u build it?  What did u have to do to the fuel system. Did u ever tune for any other fuel or just e85

I never paid attention to the gas milage. But it wasn't bad as long as I stayed out of it. The only time I ride it hard is at the track and that's due to it not hooking on the street. If i hit it hard It will fry the tire from a 90mph cruise in 6th gear. You have to get into it slow so it stays hooked on the street. Yes, I built the whole system. Because I put a 03 motor in an 01 chassis I had to use an external Bosch 044 fuel pump, aeromotive 100 micron fuel filter, and a aeromotive compact efi 1:1 rising rate regulator. I had to also increase the inside diameter of the fuel rail being that it's extremely small. I started out tuneing on pump gas and 6lbs of boost but then changed my mind and switched to 12lbs of boost and q16 racing fuel. I then switched over to e85 and it was the best decision I ever made.   

Offline jbeans69

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »
R u using stock injectors or how big what kind are u using.  Thanks for ur info  :thumb:

Offline FastazzR1

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »
If your shootin for around 200-220hp I think the stock injectors should be ok. But when I switched to e85 I needed a bigger injector so I steped up to a 480cc injector.