Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: You guys want a bikes-only event at Mojave?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Mike Borders

• Rider
You guys want a bikes-only event at Mojave?
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »
See my other post on the new asphalt at Mojave.  Just throwing this out there, but if enough of you are interested (over 100) in having a 2-day bikes-only event on what will be the finest racing surface you will ever see, post up here and let's see what level of interest there is.  We have a lot of flexibility for scheduling events at Mojave, and we can certainly make this happen if enough of you want to do it.

Mike B.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Re: You guys want a bikes-only event at Mojave?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Great idea, what's the average bike count for the races that have been held previously.

Offline Mike Borders

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »
Great idea, what's the average bike count for the races that have been held previously.

Tom,

So far, we've seen numbers in the 20s, we think partly because of schedule timing, and partly because we are new.  We are hoping to see an uptick due to the loss of Maxton and the changes at Texas.  We realize the Maxton folks would have to drive a long way, which is why we would want to make the event 2 days for them to get the best value, but if interest doesn't materialize, we can also do some planning for a 1 day event, and for that I would probably need about 60 bikes to come.  The upside would be LOTS of runs, as you guys are quick to get on/off the course, plus a superb surface with lots of run-out for those select few in the 250+ range.  The new runway surface means that, if needed, we could start all the way at one end, and STILL have 1.3 MILES of shutdown, and you won't find that anywhere else on asphalt.  With the repaving, the total usable runway distance is now 12,500 feet, or almost 2.4 miles.

I'm also willing to entertain resetting the mile start-line for the super-fast bikes (and cars) that attend a regular meet if they express concern about stopping safely from the standard mile layout, which has a stopping distance to the first turnout of 3/4 mile, and slightly over 1 mile to the far end.  So far, it hasn't been a problem but we haven't seen the 270+ mph passes here yet.  One thing I will guarantee is that we will do everything possible to keep racers safe, as anyone who was here in April when John went down will attest. 

Mike B.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Thanks, it's good to see that you are willing to work with the racers and concerned about their wants rather than the spectators.

Offline beckertb

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
I'd be game depending on timing.

ben
Texas mile 2009 252.806
Third Coast Speed

Offline Stubbs

• Post Whore
  • 265+mph Club
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
I'd be willing to make the trip in Nov  :wink: say the week before or after Elmo meet  :tu:
265 mph Naked Loring (World record)
262 mph Naked #ecta Arkansas Track record
253.4 mph Naked Texas mile
241.8 mph Half mile (WR)
248 naked Colorado Mile (TR)/TredwayStubbs Racing
248 naked ECTA~Ohio (TR) / TredwayStubbs Racing
264 ECTA~Maxton SGR
259.9 Texas Mile SGR & Mr Turbo
265 LTA Loring 09 SGR
277.9 Texas Mile Victoria Track Record
245.6 Texas Mile Beeville 2.0 Track Record
251.6 ECTA New Mexico Naked Track Record

Offline donpearsall

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:08:53 AM »
Mike, after racing at Bonneville for the last 6 years and seeing my bike disintegrate from the salt corrosion, I am seriously looking at your venue. A bikes only event is a good idea. Have you looked into getting AMA or other sanctioning? Running on the runway would be great, but if the speeds were from a recognized body like AMA, SCTA, FIM, etc, it would be much better.
I want to get to Mojave, but would for sure if the records were sanctioned.
Thanks for thinking of the bikers.
Don

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »
Mike, That would be way cool! I am crazy about a 2 day event so I could spend some time testing and tuning.
 Thanks
 Steve
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline bulletb

• Rider
  • Knocked on the door in 08 Kicked the door down 09!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:44 AM »
Mike, have ya'll considered running a 1.5-mile? with all that extra runway length?
Maybe timing at the 1mile & 1.5 mile? 

Bob.
206.9 "Texas Mile" Goliad-2009
209.0 "Texas Mile" Beeville"-2012
215.9 "Mojave Magnum"-2012
203.569 "ECTA Record-Wilmington"-2012 
214.005 "Loring"-2009
 (All on Stock Motor-Tuned by Cheese)

204.5 "Texas Mile"-Naked Turbo-(Fkawi Racing)-2010

225.187 "SCTA-Bonneville Record"-2012 (Entropy's Rust Bucket")

Offline Mike Borders

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
@donpearsall:  Yes, in fact I would like to soon move our program towards sanctioned records such as these, (both for cars and bikes, but we'll stick with bikes for this discussion) and I request those of you that are more knowledgable about these organizations or that represent them contact me to discuss the best way to go about this.  For example, we could certainly adopt the current asphalt 1-mile records from Maxton, as these are, to my knowledge, the only sanctioned asphalt ones being recorded (I also know Texas recognizes them, too, but not sure of the exact mechanics of this).  But, as I understand it, if I were to run, say, a 1.3 mile course, which I could do easily, those records would not translate to El Mirage because of the surface differences.  Now, I know all this is obvious, but I guess what I am asking is, what do you guys think is the best way to put our venue to use, and to make it an event everyone would mark on their calendar to attend?

@bulletb:  Yes, I could set up a 1.5 mile course, but what would be the reason to do so?  I am not being flippant here, I am wondering if there has been interest in this amongst the bike community in the past but, before Mojave, not having a venue capable of supporting this length?  Also, for many, running 1.5 miles would raise the top speed bar considerably (I'm thinking of the 190-210 mph group here, who suddenly find themselves hitting 230+), which, from the safety standpoint, has implications on gear, tires, driver skill, and aero effects, and from the equipment standpoint, has implications on gearing, setup, testing, and additional bike prep.  You know better than I if the bike community is prepared for this, or even wants it, and I would be very interested in hearing perspective from you guys on this.  My current thought is that if there is significant interest in creating a 1.3 mile asphalt event complete with a full set of classes and records similar to Maxton or El Mirage, I would be very interested in discussing it.

If any of my assumptions above are wrong, please correct me, but I certainly want to keep the dialogue going, as you guys are the most active "top speed" bike forum out there, and amongst your posters are some of the most experienced racers in the sport.

Mike B.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
I think the 1.5 would draw more people because of the chance to run higher or possibly the highest mph ever depending on temps and winds. There would only be around 10 mph higher than the mile. Something that I always missed from drag racing was incremental times/speed. Another thing from drag racing that would help would be a tracked prepped with VHT, there I go dreaming again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:49:28 PM by TrickTom1 »

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
I would like to see 1.5 miles. There is a whole bunch of Texas racers going 2500 miles to Loring Maine. The reason is the 1.5 mile, super smooth track. Most of us LSR types are interested in one thing, how fast can we go. You are much closer than Maine, to Texas. Lots of us are on a limited budget. We want the most bang for the buck, so to speak. IMHO

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline bulletb

• Rider
  • Knocked on the door in 08 Kicked the door down 09!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
Mike,  my perspective, as a land speed competitor, is that as racers, we are looking for the longest, safest venue, with the best traction available, & the least possible maintenance, (ie...Bonneville),  Just look at Loring, the amount of interest it has drawn, in a couple of short years? even being way up in the northeast corner of this great nation. (new records are soon to be set there!)(World Records). Lord knows that pavement, surpasses the salt & dirt at the other long venues. Records are records, even world records, wherever they are accomplished, as long as there are recorded with accurate timing equipment, (NO GPS). No one I know, disputes the speeds that are achieved at Texas, Maxton, Mojave,or Woodbridge (mile venues). As it stands only Loring & Bonneville offer a longer run to achieve higher speeds.
I would be interested in attending Mojave, if there was a way to go faster, than say Texas, at such an altitude difference.
Just my two coppers worth...

Bob.
206.9 "Texas Mile" Goliad-2009
209.0 "Texas Mile" Beeville"-2012
215.9 "Mojave Magnum"-2012
203.569 "ECTA Record-Wilmington"-2012 
214.005 "Loring"-2009
 (All on Stock Motor-Tuned by Cheese)

204.5 "Texas Mile"-Naked Turbo-(Fkawi Racing)-2010

225.187 "SCTA-Bonneville Record"-2012 (Entropy's Rust Bucket")

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
Timing at the 1-mile and 1.5-mile would be great!  I'm interested in racing at Mojave as well as Loring because of the longer course/shutdown and smoother surface. 

Realistically, it will probably be next year before I'm back to racing again but it's nice to see what other events are out there...
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline Super Streetbike Magazine

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
The surface is amazing—absolutely smooth. Only hang up is that you can't warm your tire up in a burnout box.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
Timing at the 1-mile and 1.5-mile would be great!  I'm interested in racing at Mojave as well as Loring because of the longer course/shutdown and smoother surface. 

Realistically, it will probably be next year before I'm back to racing again but it's nice to see what other events are out there...
When the winds are bad in Texas I only run to 1/2 mile, currently relying on gps :(. I have an idea of what I should go based off of that. Others with more data logging have this info. but I do not yet.

Offline gixxerfixxer

• Rider
  • Always rebuilding....
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
For me if things are fixed and timing is right I would go 1 mile or/and 1.5 miles

I need Vacations in my off time and it looks like I could be off all August and Oct. if my Visa for work is done in the next week. :)
Maybe this year?

Offline Texanzone

• Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »
I like the all bike idea & the 1.5 mile but most of all that you ask what the racers would like  :thumb:

Offline California Kid

• Rider
    • Bills Landspeed Racing
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
Mike,
               I will be going to Mojave in oct , it is in my back yard , it takes me about 45 minutes to 1 hr to get there . a 1.5 mile would be perfect . We would have a 1.5 mile event on the east and west coast it doesnt get any better then that .

Bill
RCC stage 2 turbo :Texas Mile Oct 2019 240.6 Texas Mile March 2019 237.8 ,Texas Mile 2018 227.4 ,Texas 09 199.166  March stock 08 Busa 2nd drive
Louis Heil 205.523 MPH Texas Oct 09 199.780 , Mojave 2018 217.6
Loring 09  207.837 Aug stock 08 Busa,
Mojave 2010 186.8 MPH 08 Busa.Texas 2010 march
202.3 MPH Loring 2011 July 208 MPH
Mojave 2018 217 MPH
Texas 2011 March 202 Texas Oct 2011 204.9, Mojave ,Oct 2013 215.6 , Texas Mile Oct 2013-213.6 , Mojave April 2014- 215.6

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:02:40 AM »
Mike,
               I will be going to Mojave in oct , it is in my back yard , it takes me about 45 minutes to 1 hr to get there . a 1.5 mile would be perfect . We would have a 1.5 mile event on the east and west coast it doesnt get any better then that .

Bill

+1,000,000

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »
Mike,

Bill

+1,000,000

+1,000,001
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline Texanzone

• Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »
Mike,

Bill

+1,000,000
+1,000,002

+1,000,001

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »
For those making the long haul, a three day event Fri-Sun would be great also.
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
1.5 miles for sure would generate the most interest and response!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick