Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 1000cc bikes vs Busa's  (Read 114240 times)

Offline caddylt1

• Post Whore
  • "Its not the tires screaming, its the tarmac"
    • GarageSpec Magazine
Re: 1000cc bikes vs Busa's
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »
lots of butt hurt going on in this thread
Gen I Turbo/Intercooled
RCC Turbo/MCXpress Intercooler
Fab and Tuned by Williford Racing
Head by Port Tech
Hays T3 Convertible
64 inch wheelbase
8 Second "kinda" Streekbike

Offline MslPilot

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
 :hys: nah
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Steve P

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »
LOL... The total "pre turbo" was 15 bikes....... After turbo was 15 bikes per gear...so hmmmmmmmm,, it adds up quick..LOL..... Don't hate,,, the gen 1 busas are just slow :lol:

Offline caddylt1

• Post Whore
  • "Its not the tires screaming, its the tarmac"
    • GarageSpec Magazine
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »
rename this site to haybusabutthurt.org
Gen I Turbo/Intercooled
RCC Turbo/MCXpress Intercooler
Fab and Tuned by Williford Racing
Head by Port Tech
Hays T3 Convertible
64 inch wheelbase
8 Second "kinda" Streekbike

Offline teezy

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »
    Im new too bikes but I have noticed that there seems to be a rivalry between the GSXR1000 guys and the HAYABUSA guys. Its kinda funny seeings how it really is comparing apples to oranges.

Isnt a GSXR1000 considered a superbike and a BUSA considered a sport touring?
And there is what......................over 100lbs weight difference between the 2 bikes themselves?

Its kinda like comparing a corvette to a gto.......in reality. I mean I could see if the BUSA was making 15-20whp more stock to stock but from what I have seen stock 1000's make the same as stock gen 1's. Im not taking anything away from the 1000's but what is trying to be proven?

My favorite thing to hear is "stock motor"..... I love hearing that!!

I think the gsxr 1000 is a cool bike!! I personally think its uncomfortable to ride but I didnt buy one because it looks like a 600. Same everything...doesnt stand out. I dont like that where the gauges are its not all finished like a busa. Does plastic ready weigh that much they couldnt have made it clean.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:56:09 PM by teezy »
In the begining I wanted 140's in the 1/4...
never thought it would go 140's in the 1/8

one very pissed off 1397cc we call MR ANGRY

Offline MslPilot

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
I definatly have to agree. Sold mine because it was uncomfortable. The Busa looks better for sure! :tu:

I don't care either way, I have just noticed a ton of shit talkers around where I am that barely know anything about bikes much less how to ride telling me their 600 or 1000 would smoke me in the twisties hands down. and yes i got a taker on a CBR 1000rr and lets just say he's done tellin everyone Busa's are drag queens.....LMAO. These bikes are awesome and they are not just straight line bikes.
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
  • Ok. So sometime I can be a little full of myself.
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »
I know some butt hurting is coming my way. But I think I would pull on a busa with simular boost like mine you know something 6-8, stock motor and some pump around 40-180mph. 

Offline bottle fed 05 1k

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »
My 05 when it was new and i was less experienced. I lowered it, strapped it, and went -1 in the front. Ran a 9.80@144. was around 180 lbs suited at that time. Also set it up for Prostar 1000ss...Brocks Megaphone , Milled head, degree'd cams, short stacks, pc, -1/+2. bike ran 9.4's at 150-152 consistantly. With the bike set up like that it made 175rwhp. I ran a guy that had a 1397 busa, exhaust, two intake cams, and a few other mods. made 191rwhp on same dyno. everytime we raced....slow 1st gear thru my 6th ....I pulled him every time by a few bikes to 6-10 bikes. A first gen busa has its hands full against any 05 up gsxr 1000.

Offline teezy

• Rider
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
My 05 when it was new and i was less experienced. I lowered it, strapped it, and went -1 in the front. Ran a 9.80@144. was around 180 lbs suited at that time.

Thats moving out!!

I would like to see what it would run if you had a 100lb weight vest one.

Also set it up for Prostar 1000ss...Brocks Megaphone , Milled head, degree'd cams, short stacks, pc, -1/+2. bike ran 9.4's at 150-152 consistantly. With the bike set up like that it made 175rwhp.

I got a local guy that has a 06 with a stock motor {never been into} that went 9.1@151 and it was 109 degrees outside in texas humidity. You have all those mods to run 9.4@150-152. Just shows that all bike and riders are different.

I ran a guy that had a 1397 busa, exhaust, two intake cams, and a few other mods. made 191rwhp on same dyno. everytime we raced....slow 1st gear thru my 6th ....I pulled him every time by a few bikes to 6-10 bikes. A first gen busa has its hands full against any 05 up gsxr 1000.

Sounds like a slaughter!!!

I have a good friend with a 06 GSXR 1000. His race weigh is 585lbs and the bike put down 157whp/77wtq. Mine at the time was 750lb and making 163whp/96wtq. At the track the 1000 ran 9.98@143 the same night I ran 9.99@142. But from a roll I would pull away from him.

There are too many variables with motorcycles to say one bike would have its handful againest another. Alot of it comes down to rider,weight,etc,etc!!!

Didnt schnitz just go a 6.90@203 on a Hayabusa? :bike:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:38:09 AM by teezy »
In the begining I wanted 140's in the 1/4...
never thought it would go 140's in the 1/8

one very pissed off 1397cc we call MR ANGRY

Offline MslPilot

• Rider
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »
Oh jeez, i give up. lol

Offline SEJ

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »
I've been 9.59 @ 146.27mph on my 99' Busa and 9.74 @ 146.62mph on my 05' GSX-R 1000. Both stock wheel base, foot shifted, pump gas stock motors. Both -1 on front, lowered/strapped. The Busa at the time had a small tube Hindle, small airbox mod, BMC filter, and powercommander. The 1000 has a BMC filter, homemade switchable TRE, and slightly modified factory stock pipe with a fully functional exhaust vavle! I ride both of these bikes a lot on the street and know that my 1000 is stronger everywhere. When taken to the strip on the same day, the 1000 will usually trap .5 - 1.5 mph better.
222.66 MPH at the Ohio Mile
201.52 MPH in the 1/2 Mile
12 lbs. boost
01' Turbo GSX-R 1000

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Thats why i stripped 60lb out if mine and added 80 hp with a 1507,bring it
On litre bikes,bmw,s included. :D

How the hell did you get 60lbs off your bike?!
my busa weighs about 460lbs with a light fuel load,i got my dads down to 443lbs as a 1299cc bike.you just keep spending on weight saving over the years instead of buying a new bike every few yrs and you have a very light very fast gen1 busa.
heres a list of a few weight saving things,price on application,lol
ti force exhaust,22lbs lighter
,alloy subframe 5.7lbs
speedcell battery 6.6lbs
kevlar tank 7.3lbs
carbon glass bodywork 5.5lbs
carbon airbox 2.2lbs
titanium rear spring 1.5lbs
carbon wheels approx 16lbs
ceramic braketech rotors 4.8lbs
bar ends 2lbs
rearsets dunno
rear footpeg hangers dunno
So thats a likely 75lbs right there.mine has heavier headers,magnesium rims,iron rotors etc.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »
My 2000 Hayabusa Supebike (with OE aluminum subframe) scaled at an honest 475 pounds wet which was about 75 pounds lighter than it's original 550 pound wet weight.  It remained street legal, with the license plate mounted to the back of the battery box, minimalist lighting (individual bare LED tail/stop/turn lamps, and a pair of miniscule driving lamps hose-clamped to the upper fork legs under the fairing.

I used a Muzzy 4-1 titanium exhaust system, Marvic Penta II magnesium racing wheels, Sharkskinz race bodywork, and removal of all of the stupid heavy stuff that comes with the Hayabusa, to include:

Solid steel bar ends
Tool kit
Tank prop rod
ALL that black plastic under the tail, right up to the battery box
Engine counterbalancer
Footpeg weights
B-pegs
Grab handle
PAIR system
Airbox interior (large box mod)
Flapper valve, link, servo, vacuum line, etc.
OE Frankenstein bolts
2 of four grab handle bolts
...and so on.

The only expensive part was the wheels (the exhaust system wasn't really that expensive)

In the end, it was only about 25 pounds heavier than a stock Gixxer 1000, and had more horsepower. 

On the street, at track day pace, or at novice race pace, it gave up nothing to 1000 cc bikes.  At an expert's race pace, the additional 2.9" of wheelbase, and even more so, the width of the engine, were significant issues.  This ultimately drove me to replace it with the R1, which was instantly 3 seconds a lap faster, simply because the engine was so much narrower.
-Kirk

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
yep,busas are a frustrating track bike,no matter
how light you make them ,their width and wheelbase
along with their steering geometry and weight bias
make them a fruitless exersize in pursuing
ultimate lap times.once their tipped over their
width,wheelbase,geometry determine how tight a line
they will hold,shedding weight just means you
can tip in faster and the tyres will hang on for a while
longer but unless you were already sliding,the mid corner
speed has already been predetermined by
its architecture.
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
I jacked the back end up about 1.5" with shorter dog bones, used a taller 195/55 rear tire, slid the fork tubes up in the triple clamps about 1/2", and shortened the wheelbase by 5/8" by taking two links out of the chain, but ultimately, the engine width required me to take classic arcing 125-like lines, and did not give me any lattitude as far as changing lines mid-corner.  It wasn't long before everybody figured that out, and the jig was up.  It still scared the crap out of everyone, and 1000 cc bikes fell out of my draft on the front straight, but I really did need a different bike for racing, especially since I showed a little bit of promise, and Suzuki wasn't paying any contingency money for the Hayabusa, but Yamaha was paying $2,000 for each win.  Having the R1 set up as a Supersport made it eligible to race in Open Supersport AND Open Superbike, making a theoretical $4,000 income a weekend just from Yamaha, if I was fortunate enough to have gotten on the top of the box twice a weekend (I wasn't THAT good, but you gotta set goals).  :lol:

The other issue was that the Hayabusa could easily shred a $500 pair of race tires in one race, but the same tires would last an entire day on the R1. 
-Kirk

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
...BUT...

For the other 99.9% of all riding situations, the Hayabusa just rocks.  My wife and I have missed that bike every day since I sold it.  

An important thing to remember, a lesson that all of us learn the first time we ever ride on the track, is that the fastest guy on the street is NOT the fastest rider OR the fastest bike- it's just the guy willing to take the most chances.

For all practical purposes, the Hayabusa has more lean angle available than reasonable people use in reasonable situations, so it's dimensions are not an impediment.  And with it's wide-ratio transmission and excess of instantly-accessible torque, it doesn't require the furious down-shifting of a liter bike, especially a short-stroke liter bike and/or one with an OEM exhaust header containing an exhaust flapper valve (they generally cause a huge hole right in the middle of the torque curve).  In spontaneous situations, the Hayabusa is always going to have an advantage.

it's also good to consider that unless you live IN the twisty bits, a Supersport really tends to wear you out on the way there and back, but the Hayabusa is very comfortable over the road.  Two-up is another place that the Hayabusa shines.  Two people on a 55" wheelbase make it hard to keep the front wheel on the ground under 150 mph, but the additional 3" or so of the Hayabusa allows you to get the front end down by about 120 mph or so.

The longer wheelbase of the Hayabusa also makes it easier and quicker to launch from a standing start than a 55" Supersport.  And in straight-line acceleration, the start is everything.

Once you get much above about 150 mph, the aerodynamics of the Hayabusa make it the clear choice over any other bike.  It requires an exponentially larger amount of horsepower to push a less aerodynamic shape through the air.  I suspect that's why the 100 pound lighter and 15 horsepower stronger S1000RR has not established a history of putting down higher top speeds than unrestricted (or de-restricted) Hayabusa motorcycles.

So where does a 1000 have an advantage?  The brief moment between the time the front tire touches the ground and when the aerodynamics of the Hayabusa take over.  That's it.  And even then, it's only true if the 1000 cc rider has had time to downshift three or four times first.  

I'd rather have a Hayabusa with the suspension properly set up and a modicum of track experience, than a twin-turbo ZX-10 any day.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:13:34 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
Absolutely lightening up a Busa is a huge deal. Try running around a tight track with one weighing in at 550lbs full of liquids for 20 minutes in 90'+ weather......you'll appreciate the 600cc weights in comparison but trimming 50-75lbs off the Busa certainly makes it a lot easier to be fast and consistent on the Bus. The other caveat is less weight to tax the frame of the mid 90s technology to not flex as much. Now that I run full Ohlins full suspension on my Busa and dropped nearly 60lbs on the bike and over 50lbs myself the bike is so much more solid under rough conditions like the track we have here has....rough conditions.

If I lose the next 30lbs by January, the bike will only be limited by thickness of the bike.....big deal....cause I haven't been able to scrape the fairings that much yet and lean angle isn't necessary for a true test of corner speed....I can go as fast as most litres in some of these corners and be a heck of lot less leaned over than them.....it's all in traction and weight transfer....when I get faster then the lean angle will have to change to suit the speed but I am not quite there yet.

One last thing. Other than the usual weight loss from wheels, etc. removing the counter balancer and/or lightening a crankshaft as well as degreeing cams for more top end RPM power........the Busa will be able to accelerate out of corners faster without roasting even the most stickiest of slicks on just the littliest of wrist turn.....you will also notice turn in to be more controllable as well. The fun thing is that the Busa still has tons of TQ compared to the litres.....so instant acceleration will still be there.....Yay!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:40:15 PM by Busashot »

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
Removing the engine counter-balancer also makes the bike flip from side to side significantly faster, and makes downshifts upset the chassis much less. I'd can't think of an application where I'd leave the counter-balancer in the engine. It's a free, easy, and very noticeable upgrade.
-Kirk

Offline ft campbell busa

• Rider
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »
I have owned a 2006 Busa and now a 2007 GSXR 1000. After the first ride on the 1K, I came home and hit the computer to find out how much HP it made because it felt faster than my Busa. The K7-K8 1K make more HP and at least 100lbs lighter than a Gen1 Busa. Both of mine with Brock pipes, extended, lowered, properly geared, clutch work, and MR12 ran good. However, the 1K is faster and better ET. I weigh in at 220lbs and my 1K is trapping in the 150s on motor. The 1K does not 60ft as good as my Busa and is harder to launch IMHO. These K7-K8 1Ks need a ton of gear for big guys. It does out do the Busa in the 330, 1/8th, etc.... My 1k actually traps higher in the 1/8th than my Busa did on a small shot of N2O. I will never buy another Gen 1 Busa after owning this bike and I bought my Busa brand new! I will try a Gen 2 for my next build though! Oh yeah, no more second gear issues with my 1K like on the Busa. I have no issues at the track against a Gen 1 or ZX 14. Then again, I beat the ZX14s with my Gen 1, lol. Last, with Nitrous, these 1K will 60 ft insane along with ET. Nothing like shifting at nearly 14K with a sidewinder, Nitrous, and 1000 or more cc motor!

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Yes, it is true, if you spend thousands of dollars butchering a couple of perfectly good motorcycles, to eliminate 99% of their abilities in the blind pursuit of slightly better 1/4 mile ETs, then anything's possible.  

Most of us have no use for something that is geared like a tractor but has a close-ratio transmission, corners to the left like a sinking oil tanker, corners to the right like the same oil tanker running aground, can't go over a speed bump at all, runs on nitrous oxide and $20+ a gallon gas that you can't leave in the tank overnight, and has an unmuffled megaphone exhaust.

...especially when it's being used for general transportation on public roads 6 days a week, and hobby-level handicap ET racing on Sunday morning... :roll:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:39:07 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »
Comparing these bikes is funny. Depends on rider skill and how well or type of mods have been performed on either bikes.

Mine was only putting out 160hp compared to a few litres here putting out around the same or a bit more. Sure they are lighter but if they don't gear the bikes appropriately and is in the sweet spot of the powerband, I really didn't have any issues beating or staying ahead on a small track where the top speed is lucky to be a little over 110mph on the longest part. Now on a faster track, if I wasn't on my game in corners I just can't keep up enough on some of the really long straights so power to weight will show. Not everyone "Super" mods their bikes but if the Busa owner chose tasteful and useful mods such as compression and cams, the Busa making 185hp will eff up any bolt-on litre.....except now the S1000R which is a bike in it's own class IMHO.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2011, 03:15:09 AM »
The rider is the single most important component, but I'm assuming that all of these comparisons are, as a given, assuming comparable riders.

Yes, there are 1000cc bikes that make more horsepower at their peak, but fall off that peak, even just a little bit, and the Hayabusa is going to have an advantage.

I've never done any track time using the Hayabusa or a 1000cc bike on a shorter track.

On a larger track, I can speak from experience, that if you've got a front straightaway of 3/4 mile like I did, the aerodynamics of the Hayabusa is going to cause any normal 1000cc bike to fall out of it's draft.  It is possible that the S1000RR may be able to get such a jump on the Hayabusa in the mid-range that the Hayabusa has trouble catching up by the end of the straight, but the top speed of a comparable Hayabusa, or even one within about 15 horsepower of the BMW, is going to be faster.  

I'm not saying that the Hayabusa is the best choice, or even a good choice as a road-racing bike- it's not.  I'm just saying, that unless you have a) a road racing track, and b) expert-licensed road racers, the Hayabusa is going to have an advantage everywhere, to include pretty much all street scenarios, which is where 99% of Hayabusa and 1000cc riders are going to meet.  It makes no point to live in fantasy-land by saying "Yeah, well, Valentino Rossi on a BMW S1000RR could beat Casey Stoner on a Hayabusa at Mugello"- so flipping what.  You're not Valentino Rossi, the other guy is not Casey Stoner, and the one-mile stretch of highway fronting In And Out Burger is not Mugello.  BIG difference.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:11:43 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2011, 06:16:06 AM »
like it was mentioned before,on the road it comes
down to the rider and the risks they are prepared to
take.i rode my 1507 busa with a guy on a dead stock
blackbird and a 08gixxer1000.my golden rule is slow in
fast out of corners on the road,loose gravel,blind corners
etc,no way would you see me running hot into a blind corner
on my knee on the street.these boys were backing it into the
corners and coming out the other side and just walking away.i could
run over them on the straights if needed but i didnt envy
the corner speed of a braver road rider.its all nice to say a litre bike
can smoke a busa but its very easy to drop alot of weight
off a busa and even easier to give it a stack more torque
and hp and have it all look undetectable.it then just comes down to comfort
and which your more comfortable steering over
bumpy country roads.in my case ive made mine a bit
too intense and want to try a naked bike for a change.
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
The rider is the single most important component, but I'm assuming that all of these comparisons are, as a given, assuming comparable riders.

Yes, there are 1000cc bikes that make more horsepower at their peak, but fall off that peak, even just a little bit, and the Hayabusa is going to have an advantage.

I've never done any track time using the Hayabusa or a 1000cc bike on a shorter track.

On a larger track, I can speak from experience, that if you've got a front straightaway of 3/4 mile like I did, the aerodynamics of the Hayabusa is going to cause any normal 1000cc bike to fall out of it's draft.  It is possible that the S1000RR may be able to get such a jump on the Hayabusa in the mid-range that the Hayabusa has trouble catching up by the end of the straight, but the top speed of a comparable Hayabusa, or even one within about 15 horsepower of the BMW, is going to be faster.  

I'm not saying that the Hayabusa is the best choice, or even a good choice as a road-racing bike- it's not.  I'm just saying, that unless you have a) a road racing track, and b) expert-licensed road racers, the Hayabusa is going to have an advantage everywhere, to include pretty much all street scenarios, which is where 99% of Hayabusa and 1000cc riders are going to meet.  It makes no point to live in fantasy-land by saying "Yeah, well, Valentino Rossi on a BMW S1000RR could beat Casey Stoner on a Hayabusa at Mugello"- so flipping what.  You're not Valentino Rossi, the other guy is not Casey Stoner, and the one-mile stretch of highway fronting In And Out Burger is not Mugello.  BIG difference.

I like your posts Kirk. Very entertaining and informative.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
I like yours too.  You seem to be pretty much on the money, and appear to speak from a position of experience.  You appear to have put a lot of thought into what you do, without being limited by the general population's paradigm of how they perceive the Hayabusa.

The only thing that confuses me about your posts is that you aren't having problems with the width of the engine, but me and the others who have ridden the Hayabusa at race pace do have problems with it.  It makes me think of a real tall, lanky guy I used to know who used to ride on the track with, and where most of us hang off the bike to increase our ground clearance, he was built like a spider and was just about crawling UNDER the bike in corners.  I don't recall him actually getting an elbow down, but his body position was such that he would have had no problem getting an elbow or possibly even his shoulder down, before touching down any hard parts on the bike.  So I'm kind of wondering if you're shaped like spider-man, or what.  

For comparison, this is me riding the Hayabusa Superbike at race pace, knee down on the race track.  Note the bulge in the fairing around the clutch housing is ground down a little:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:29:37 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk