Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: BRAKE ROTOR  (Read 5396 times)

Offline CHITOWNBUSA

• Rider
BRAKE ROTOR
« on: October 29, 2002, 01:45:00 PM »
WHAT IS THE DIFERENCE BETWEEN A  FULL FLOATING, AND NONFLOATING ROTORS, WHAT EFFECT WILL IT HAVE ON BUSA BRAKING PERFORMANCE? I WAS THINKING OF ORDERING THE REAR BUSA ROTORS(NONFLOATING) WITH THE HAYABUSA SYMBOLS.... IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS THE FULL FLOATING ROTORS FOR FRONT AND BACK WITH THE SYMBOLS CUT INTO THEM?
BLK&SILVER,UNDETECTABLE BY RADAR

Offline TECH

• Mad Post Whore
BRAKE ROTOR
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 04:10:00 PM »
The rear is not full floating from the factory.  I've got a wave rotor on the rear, and it's not full floating either.  The front are, and I wouldn't go without full floating.  Full floating are less likely to warp, and allow for slight intolerances with caliper alignment.  The rear doesn't really do the work that the front has to do, so don't worry about full floating on the rear.

Offline TECH

• Mad Post Whore
BRAKE ROTOR
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 04:12:00 PM »
Oh, and I don't like the thought of cutting a rotor, especially the front.  It'll weaken it, make it more prone to warp or failure, and will make the pad wear uneven.  The rear might be ok, but I wouldn't do anything to the front.

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
    • http://www.indepentconnection.org
BRAKE ROTOR
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline TECH

• Mad Post Whore
BRAKE ROTOR
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 03:00:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight-PA:
Actually, floating rotors aren't any less likely to warp than a solid mount rotor. The whole idea behind a floating rotor is that if the rotor does warp somewhat, the floating rotors allow the rotor to move from side to side on the float rivets thereby allowing the rotor to pass through the calipers center which cuts down on the brake pulling that would otherwise easily be felt with a warped rotor.

Solid mounted rotors are very sensitive to the smallest of warps and therefore brake pull is easily felt and exagerated when braking compared to a floating rotor.  

True.  The effects of a warped rotor aren't felt or exaggerated as bad.  
I believe that it allows for more even expansion of the rotor, which will lessen heat stresses, and warping along with it...to some extent.

Offline StreetnTrack

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
BRAKE ROTOR
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 07:36:00 PM »
We have the full floating rear rotors in stock.  Ferodo makes one of the best rear floaters available.