Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Your experienced advice on wheelies  (Read 15129 times)

Offline rider44

• Rider
Your experienced advice on wheelies
« on: July 25, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
My 2011 Busa picks up the front tire in first gear out around 7k rpms, it makes me let out when the wheel is in the air and then shift to second. Since I am fairly new to these bikes, can anyone tell me how high these bikes generally bring the front tire in the air in first gear if I dont let off until redline? Dont want to skin my bike or my butt...LOL Also what is the easiest solution to keeping the front tire down other than parking it?  LOL... MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU GUYS THAT CAN RIDE WHEELIES SO WELL. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. Thanks friends...
HARD TO GROW UP  !!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Re: Your experienced advice on wheelies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Don't!  The ground is hard and you are soft.  Handlebars taste like sh-t, I know, broken collar bone, shattered left kneecap, severed patella tendon and broken right foot.  Doin' a wheelie. That is just my advice.  Take it for what it is worth.   :tu:
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »
My 2011 Busa picks up the front tire in first gear out around 7k rpms, it makes me let out when the wheel is in the air and then shift to second. Since I am fairly new to these bikes, can anyone tell me how high these bikes generally bring the front tire in the air in first gear if I dont let off until redline?

You would make like an airplane and loop it.

Dont want to skin my bike or my butt...LOL Also what is the easiest solution to keeping the front tire down other than parking it?  LOL... MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU GUYS THAT CAN RIDE WHEELIES SO WELL. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. Thanks friends...

Less throttle :P :hys: 8)
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline 03svt-08busa

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
the height of a wheelie is directly proportional to testicle size and inversely proportional to i.q.

That applies to any bike.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:00:26 PM by 03svt-08busa »

Offline rider44

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »
LOL...  Thanks Guys... What do you suggest as a mod to keep the front tire down, so I can use the power in first gear?
HARD TO GROW UP  !!

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
LOL...  Thanks Guys... What do you suggest as a mod to keep the front tire down, so I can use the power in first gear?

If you are just into drag racing, lower it and extend the swing arm 3-4 inches.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline rider44

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
What would I need to buy to lower and extend the swing arms? Is it something I can do at home? Be patient with me, I am new to these bikes and mods,LOL. Thanks
HARD TO GROW UP  !!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »
The absolute best way would be to rake the front end and then put a few inches in the swing arm and lower it.  Raking the front end would be McIntosh.  They do outstanding work IMO.

That would also give you more hi-speed stability.    
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:53:07 PM by DaveH1948 »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
The absolute best way would be to rake the front end and then put a few inches in the swing arm and lower it.  Raking the front end would be McIntosh.  They do outstanding work IMO.

Pricey and labor intensive.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »
What would I need to buy to lower and extend the swing arms? Is it something I can do at home? Be patient with me, I am new to these bikes and mods,LOL. Thanks

The least expensive/easiest way for the front end would to buy a 1.5" bar riser and pull the fork tubes up in the triple trees,, for the back swing arm extensions, lowering links, and a longer chain.

Yes all this can be easily done at home if you have basic mechanical skills. :thumb:
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline rider44

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks Flat...  How much should I extend them? What brand parts do you recommend? Just add to existing chain? Thanks
HARD TO GROW UP  !!

Offline 03svt-08busa

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
Thanks Flat...  How much should I extend them? What brand parts do you recommend? Just add to existing chain? Thanks

The more you stretch it, the worse it corners. Try the risers for the front, and lowering links in the rear. that's cheap and easy. Don't stretch an existing chain, buy a new one. A swing arm stretch will run you around 400-500$ total. You'll need the extensions, brake line, and chain.  The risers and links will be well under 200$, and will probably solve most of your problem.

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »

The more you stretch it, the worse it corners. Try the risers for the front, and lowering links in the rear. that's cheap and easy. Don't stretch an existing chain, buy a new one. A swing arm stretch will run you around 400-500$ total. You'll need the extensions, brake line, and chain.  The risers and links will be well under 200$, and will probably solve most of your problem.

^^What he said. :thumb:
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
Thanks Flat...  How much should I extend them? What brand parts do you recommend? Just add to existing chain? Thanks

Try here, a site supporter.

http://www.soupysperformance.com/hayabusa_products.html
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline bulletb

• Rider
  • Knocked on the door in 08 Kicked the door down 09!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
Just a suggestion,

You might try a frt end strap...(a Brock's suggestion)...as it helps take the "spring" out of the frt forks, when the motor lifts the frt end!
also lowering the frt end....it's best used with the upper triple tree, when you raise the forks, to lower the frt.

Some of us LSR racing guys & gals use them in our Mile competion, so we can leave the line just like in Drag racing!
It's adjustable so you don't have to "tie" down the forks that tight.
It's seems to help me.....& I had doubts about the handling & turning....but to my suprise....no problem.

Bob.
206.9 "Texas Mile" Goliad-2009
209.0 "Texas Mile" Beeville"-2012
215.9 "Mojave Magnum"-2012
203.569 "ECTA Record-Wilmington"-2012 
214.005 "Loring"-2009
 (All on Stock Motor-Tuned by Cheese)

204.5 "Texas Mile"-Naked Turbo-(Fkawi Racing)-2010

225.187 "SCTA-Bonneville Record"-2012 (Entropy's Rust Bucket")

Offline 03svt-08busa

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
Just a suggestion,

You might try a frt end strap...(a Brock's suggestion)...as it helps take the "spring" out of the frt forks, when the motor lifts the frt end!
also lowering the frt end....it's best used with the upper triple tree, when you raise the forks, to lower the frt.

Some of us LSR racing guys & gals use them in our Mile competion, so we can leave the line just like in Drag racing!
It's adjustable so you don't have to "tie" down the forks that tight.
It's seems to help me.....& I had doubts about the handling & turning....but to my suprise....no problem.

Bob.

are you suggesting that he ride his bike with the front end strapped????!!!??? DONT DO THAT.

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 01:40:03 AM »

the "slower" it will handle
I can drag parts no problem with good tires
it is the good part is, it flattracks out of corners much better
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
I got a better idea how about you just keep riding it and get used to the bike,wheelies are fun once you know what your doing,that's what jap bikes are made for......cornering and wheelies in my opinion, which equates to fun. I wouldn't ruin the bike by lowering and stretching it like most people do to the busa and then they say the busa's don't handle,lol,every time I go riding with a knee dragger on 750 or 1k I get the same reaction,holy shit!! I didn't know those bikes could handle like that as I'm leaving black lines off my tire in the corners and walking away from them in the twisties,freakin awsome!!!  If you want to go drag racing lower it(3 position lowering links for the rear and strap the front) and get a good clutch hand,raise it back up and go hit some corners when you get back from the track,that's what I do as I don't want a one dimensional bike,once you lower and stretch it the bike is just good for going straight line......boring. Just my 2cents.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »

Pricey and labor intensive.

Agreed, but quite effective.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »

I got a better idea how about you just keep riding it and get used to the bike,wheelies are fun once you know what your doing,that's what jap bikes are made for......
Cornering and wheelies in my opinion, which equates to fun.

I wouldn't ruin the bike by lowering and stretching it like most people do to the busa and then they say the busa's don't handle,lol,every time I go riding with a knee dragger on 750 or 1k I get the same reaction,holy shit!!

I didn't know those bikes could handle like that as I'm leaving black lines off my tire in the corners and walking away from them in the twisties,freakin awsome!!! 

If you want to go drag racing lower it(3 position lowering links for the rear and strap the front) and get a good clutch hand,raise it back up and go hit some corners when you get back from the track,that's what I do as I don't want a one dimensional bike,once you lower and stretch it the bike is just good for going straight line......boring.

Just my 2cents.

Just keep shifting it & ride it out . . .

Wheelies are BIG FUN !

Red,    *<(:{)-
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »
Great pic............ballls up.   :tu:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
Set your bike up like this, but leave the motor stock instead of putting the turbo on and keep the stock gearing. No more wheelies.  :bike:

Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline shorttrack

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:46 AM »
just do not panic and take easy in 1st gear.

Offline BlackJackel

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »

I can pin the throttle at any speed on the street with no wheelies.  However, I'm at mile high (less power) with an 8" stretch and lowered.  I got the stretch first and still didn't have any wheelie issues then either.
From a roll on I don't have any wheelspin either, but I spin 1st some at the track (7200 rpm launch).

The front strap and lowering helps too though.  If you want to keep it stock wheelbase for the twisties you will just have to learn how much throttle to give it (rode for years on SWB), if you don't mind losing some of that quick handling, a 6-8" stretch and no more wheelies, just thrust...

hope it helps.
2009 Black Busa, +8", lowered, Akro Full exhaust, PC5, custom tune, short geared, etc...    
2008 Custom RCC Turbo Busa (SOLD)
2005 Red/Black  Stock  (SOLD).
2013 BMW X1:  Dinan tuned (DD Cage)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »
I got a better idea how about you just keep riding it and get used to the bike,wheelies are fun once you know what your doing,that's what jap bikes are made for......cornering and wheelies in my opinion, which equates to fun. I wouldn't ruin the bike by lowering and stretching it like most people do to the busa and then they say the busa's don't handle,lol,every time I go riding with a knee dragger on 750 or 1k I get the same reaction,holy shit!! I didn't know those bikes could handle like that as I'm leaving black lines off my tire in the corners and walking away from them in the twisties,freakin awsome!!!  If you want to go drag racing lower it(3 position lowering links for the rear and strap the front) and get a good clutch hand,raise it back up and go hit some corners when you get back from the track,that's what I do as I don't want a one dimensional bike,once you lower and stretch it the bike is just good for going straight line......boring. Just my 2cents.

I concur.  Unless you are using it exclusively for sanctioned drag racing AND you race in a class with no break-out rules AND it's allowed for your particular class AND your class rules do not allow wheelie bars AND you need to do it for competetive advantage, don't ruin the bike by stretching it.  Learn how to ride, instead.  And if you are going to drag race it, the FIRST thing you should do is get a clutch mod so that you can launch the bike correctly.  The stock back-torque limiter will lock the clutch up, causing the bike to bog and wheelie on launch.  If you're still having trouble, you can get a set of adjustable dog-bones and a strap, so that you can lower it only when you're at the strip, without ruining the bike for the other 99.9% of your riding.
-Kirk

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 08:44:59 AM »
lowering the bike greatly affects handling also. if you extend it you will not need a new brake line unless you go over 8" you can just loosen the front banjo fitting and spin it around so the loop is out of it. that is if your looking to go cheap
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
My 2011 Busa picks up the front tire in first gear out around 7k rpms, it makes me let out when the wheel is in the air and then shift to second. Since I am fairly new to these bikes, can anyone tell me how high these bikes generally bring the front tire in the air in first gear if I dont let off until redline? Dont want to skin my bike or my butt...LOL Also what is the easiest solution to keeping the front tire down other than parking it?  LOL... MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU GUYS THAT CAN RIDE WHEELIES SO WELL. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. Thanks friends...

You're best bet is to learn throttle control.  Once you get the experience with your bike you'll know how to ride it without wheelies.

All of the advice with straps, swingarm extensions, frame rakes, etcetera is great if you run the bike at the dragstrip but is stupid for street riding.  Learn throttle control and you won't have to worry about crashing from wheelies.

I've got a stock height and wheelbase Busa with a turbo and I don't have trouble with wheelies so I would assume with throttle control you shouldn't have any trouble.

Good luck man.

Jason
Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa
Ninja 250.........daily driver

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
My 2011 Busa picks up the front tire in first gear out around 7k rpms, it makes me let out when the wheel is in the air and then shift to second. Since I am fairly new to these bikes, can anyone tell me how high these bikes generally bring the front tire in the air in first gear if I dont let off until redline? Dont want to skin my bike or my butt...LOL Also what is the easiest solution to keeping the front tire down other than parking it?  LOL... MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU GUYS THAT CAN RIDE WHEELIES SO WELL. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. Thanks friends...

Wheelies are actually pretty easy to learn.  Have a look at this first:

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=156579.0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:46:48 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk