Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Removal of fuel injectors  (Read 12036 times)

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
Removal of fuel injectors
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »
Question-I suspect I might have a bad fuel injector, so I'm thinking of buying ONE new injector and use it to replace the injectors one at a time until I eliminate which one is bad.  Two questions though:

1. Can the injectors be removed one at a time, or do I have to remove all four at the same time with the fuel rail?
2. Service manual states replacing the injectors seals and o-rings with new ones when removing the injectors. A set of 4 costs $85 dollars. Can I get away with reusing the original ones for the purpose of test riding the bike, until I figure out which injector is bad?

Thanks,

Chuck
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." (Albert Einstein)

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Removal of fuel injectors
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
If you really suspect the injectors, I'd just pick up a set of used injectors and swap them out.

To answer your o-ring question...maybe. Depends if you tear them. The seals in teh TB's should be fine. There is an o-ring at the top of the injector that can sometimes get damaged. There is no way they should be $85. I am certain you can get o-rings for MUCH less.

What makes you think the injector is bad? I assume i is running on 3 cylinders or?

A simple test may be to start the bike and let it idle, then remove one injector connector and see how the idle changes. Re-install the connector and move to the next injector and repeat. Take notice if one sounds differently than the others.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »
If you really suspect the injectors, I'd just pick up a set of used injectors and swap them out.

To answer your o-ring question...maybe. Depends if you tear them. The seals in teh TB's should be fine. There is an o-ring at the top of the injector that can sometimes get damaged. There is no way they should be $85. I am certain you can get o-rings for MUCH less.

What makes you think the injector is bad? I assume i is running on 3 cylinders or?

A simple test may be to start the bike and let it idle, then remove one injector connector and see how the idle changes. Re-install the connector and move to the next injector and repeat. Take notice if one sounds differently than the others.

Thanks. I'm not even sure it's an injector problem. I'm just having some minor running issues that seem to be fuel related. I've replaced the fuel pump (unrelated), synced the TB's and adjusted the TPS, and used fuel-injector cleaner. I've removed and reinstalled the Power Commander. I'm trying the process of elimination and the injectors are next on my list. The $85 cost was based on an injector o-ring ($5.67), ring cushion ($7.18), and ring seal ($8.60) x 4 injectors. The fuel injector costs $165, so I could be out $250 just playing a guessing game. I think I'll look into used injectors instead.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." (Albert Einstein)

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »

This is the cheapest way to ck it, kind of like the old days when we pulled plug wires to see which cly is missing,
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
really nothing to do with your situation but i just wanted to share my experience...

over time, i noticed my bike gettn harder and harder to start... i checked everything.... then i read on here somewhere about leaky injectors. i pulled all four injectors (still hooked to the fuel rail on the bike) and placed them on a blue shop paper towel (between the injectors and throttle bodies...
i let it sit overnight and in the am, my number 2 injector and number 4 injector were leaking fuel when the bike was off. i got a set of barely used injectors from a friends 05 busa (he did the s2000 injectors) and changed my oil and filter and my bike is back to 100%...