Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Light weight Stock Rims  (Read 27998 times)

Offline QTHEBEAST

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Light weight Stock Rims
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:42:03 AM »
I lookn to put some light weight stock rims on my Gen 1 Busa..

Aftermarket wheels are to much $$$$$ for me to spend.

I was told that the 2009-2011 Busa rims are lighter than the Gen 1's so I wanted to go that route, but I heard some other bike wheels might fit..

Any ideas or has anybody tried any of these mods on thier Busa????

Thanks

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: Light weight Stock Rims
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:01:05 AM »
05 -08 gsxr1000 wheels are a popular mod.I dont  know the exact weight savings but they are lighter. never heard the gen 2 wheels are lighter, dont think  they will bolt up easily  either
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:05:32 AM by dave3.4 »

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
gen1-1k wheels you save about 10lb antdog makes spacer kits they bolt right in
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:43 AM »
09-2011 R1 wheels are lighter than GSXR wheels.

They look better, too!  :tu:

Text Eric (Not7fifteen) for info as to how to mount. He's super cool!
:arrow: http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=148182.msg1419023#msg1419023
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline QTHEBEAST

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »
Will they fit a Gen 1 Busa :tu: :tu:

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »

Text Eric (Not7fifteen) for info as to how to mount. He's super cool!
:arrow: http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=148182.msg1419023#msg1419023

Click on the link. Text Eric.
Look at the pic. That IS a Gen I.
Only thing I can see where you might run into a slight obstacle is those are R1 fork legs and brakes.
Only a minor issue, but still should be noted.

I am going to do it when I get ready, but until then if you do it first (or second in this case) let us know what you did.
-Chris

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
I have seen the new GSXR 750 for 2012 at the local shop and those wheels looked extremely light.  I might just put those on my bike.  Probably save 15-20 lbs. 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline guber

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
I just did the r1 wheel swap on mine the rear bolts right up with a little spacing of the rear caliper and the front u have to get some spacers made so the r1 axle will fit in the busa forks

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
I don't know why people think that they are going to lose so much weight from wheels. Yes there is a weight loss and some more than others but not as much as you guys think.

Remember, compare weights with wheels fully loaded ie; rotors, bearings/seals, hub, sprocket and same tires. The weight loss is not as much as you think. I have checked weights on a lot of aftermarket wheels through the years. Currently I use Carrozerria Forged Aluminum wheels which saved me a total of 9 3/4lbs compared to stock.....fully outfitted as described above. Dymag Carbon Fiber wheels(rare) will save an additional 3lbs. BSTs are probably around the same or a little better.

I've seen the GSXR 1k wheels only about 4-5lbs. If the R1 wheels are lighter, I doubt not by more than 4lbs my guess.

As you change to aluminum sprockets, lightweight brake rotors and titanium rotor bolts then you can see another 3lbs+ from all that.

On my old Kawasaki 750 Turbo, I went from the old 18" wheels to modern 17" wheels from a Kawi ZX6  rear and a Honda 16" front wheel and saved 16lbs from everything.......rotors, tires, etc........trust me the old 18" whees are super heavy.....

FYI, my Busa weighs 490lbs with a full tank of fuel and still using a modded stock exhaust. I weigh everything down to the ounce.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:14:25 PM by Busashot »

Offline cora

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
I just did the r1 wheel swap on mine the rear bolts right up with a little spacing of the rear caliper and the front u have to get some spacers made so the r1 axle will fit in the busa forks
how do i notice the difference between 09 and 08 and early years????
Can i use hayabusa sprockets on R1 carrier or can use the hayabusa carrier on the wheel??
And what about the rear rotor??

Offline guber

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »

how do i notice the difference between 09 and 08 and early years????
Can i use hayabusa sprockets on R1 carrier or can use the hayabusa carrier on the wheel??
And what about the rear rotor??
[/quote]
I used 06 R1 whels on mine. You have to use the R1 carrier and rear rotor the rear rotor is a little small so I sanded the pads down to match the rear rotor. 

Offline cora

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »
06 is same 5 spoke wheel and same weight as the newer ones??
The busa sprocket won,t fit the r1 carrier neither? not even if drill other holes??
All r1 are yzf 1??
Are the ones from  r6 the same???
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:40:48 PM by cora »

Offline guber

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
the 06 R1 rims are the five spokes I dont know if the 08-09 ones a weight less.the bolt patterns were way off for the price of a sprocket I would just buy a new one.The R6 rear rim would not be as wide as the R1 but the front might bolt up but I am not sure

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »
I have seen the new GSXR 750 for 2012 at the local shop and those wheels looked extremely light.  I might just put those on my bike.  Probably save 15-20 lbs.  

For you, this would be the easy way to go.
The R1 option takes a little head :duh: :wink: work and chasing this or that part down as you can see from reading above.

But because of that, the GSXR wheels go quicker when for sale.

Conversely, because of the unknown, less people are less likely to chase after the R1 option, mainly because there aren't too many people like Guber that have done them, or Cora that want to do them or,,, are around to tell their story for the next guy.
-Chris

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »
I don't know why people think that they are going to lose so much weight from wheels. Yes there is a weight loss and some more than others but not as much as you guys think.

Remember, compare weights with wheels fully loaded ie; rotors, bearings/seals, hub, sprocket and same tires. The weight loss is not as much as you think. I have checked weights on a lot of aftermarket wheels through the years. Currently I use Carrozerria Forged Aluminum wheels which saved me a total of 9 3/4lbs compared to stock.....fully outfitted as described above. Dymag Carbon Fiber wheels(rare) will save an additional 3lbs. BSTs are probably around the same or a little better.

I've seen the GSXR 1k wheels only about 4-5lbs. If the R1 wheels are lighter, I doubt not by more than 4lbs my guess.

As you change to aluminum sprockets, lightweight brake rotors and titanium rotor bolts then you can see another 3lbs+ from all that.

On my old Kawasaki 750 Turbo, I went from the old 18" wheels to modern 17" wheels from a Kawi ZX6  rear and a Honda 16" front wheel and saved 16lbs from everything.......rotors, tires, etc........trust me the old 18" whees are super heavy.....

FYI, my Busa weighs 490lbs with a full tank of fuel and still using a modded stock exhaust. I weigh everything down to the ounce.

I used to run Dymags.  They changed the entire way the bike performed.  It is not just the raw weight, it is the rolling/centrifical weight.  If I could get away with it, I would run wheels made out of wood.   :tu:
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline teezy

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
   I just did the 09 R1 rear wheel swap!! I weighed the complete hayabusa wheel when I took it off {36.2lbs}. Then weighed the complete R1 wheel {32.2lb} excatly 4lbs difference. The rear wheel you have to swap sprockets unless you want to run a 45 tooth. Only thing you have to do is space your caliper over with washers. Thats it!!!!

The front wheel you can get with chopaleg on psychobike. He sell a billet axle for a R1 wheel on the gen 1 for $160.00 then just space the calipers over to the rotors with washers. they are a 2lb weight difference. Chop jr bike

In the begining I wanted 140's in the 1/4...
never thought it would go 140's in the 1/8

one very pissed off 1397cc we call MR ANGRY

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
Good info, Teezy! :tu:
-Chris

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
  • Ok. So sometime I can be a little full of myself.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike_product_reviews/146_0402_motorcycle_wheel_comparison/viewall.html
doN't forget MOI, Cookie will know what I am talking about. This is a good article.
I like my PM Revolution. Not the biggest weight saver  of the bunch but a good MOI

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »
http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike_product_reviews/146_0402_motorcycle_wheel_comparison/viewall.html
doN't forget MOI, Cookie will know what I am talking about. This is a good article.
I like my PM Revolution. Not the biggest weight saver  of the bunch but a good MOI
:wink:

- Moment of Inertia is important for two reasons. First, a wheel with a lower MoI requires less force to spin up at a certain rotational acceleration, and this can even be seen on an inertia-type dyno, which will read more horsepower for a given bike with a rear wheel that has a lower MoI. Second, MoI determines a wheel's gyroscopic characteristics. A lower MoI reduces the gyroscopic effects, making it easier to turn the spinning wheel from side to side-for the front wheel, this makes turning the bars easier, and for both wheels this makes the bike lean quicker.
-Chris

Offline Dutchman

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
and the r1 wheel use the same sprocket as the k9 gixxer

Offline QTHEBEAST

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 06:31:23 AM »
 :tu:Thanks for all the helpfull info!!

Offline cora

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
do i have to use the r1 spacers to bolt it on a gen1.???????
the rear wheel

Offline Vikes41

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
Who sells titanium rotor bolts and sprocket bolts/nuts?

Offline whtrthanu

• Post Master
    • www.saeoutlawperformance.com
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
my rear marvic complete with light rotor, sprocket, and the pilot tire..    weigh 26 lbs!!!  

Offline Vikes41

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »
Who made the light rotor?  Do you know the weight savings from a stock one?

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
Usually about 1lb loss. Even going with a Galfer rear rotor it's the same. I know I have done both. Also depends on some models the rear sprocket can be huge and will net the biggest savings. The Busa, about 1lb. I lost 1lb and 3oz. with the Galfer.

Offline whtrthanu

• Post Master
    • www.saeoutlawperformance.com
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
i believe up top was the stats...36.2 stock wheel set up

Offline sweatnblood

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »
are the K1 wheels direct bolt on? I have a pretty good deal on some 09 R1 wheels right now and wondering if it's going to be worth the hassle with spacers and what not if the K1's bolt right on...but do like the 5 spoke look...
There is no 2nd place in combat
Fuck jane fonda

Offline Pitlock

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
I like the look of the five spoke.  Hopefully I will be making the swap in a couple months along with a new arm  :D

Offline sweatnblood

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:18 PM »
yea the R1 wheels look good...now if I could just sell come of my helmets...I could get the rims... :eek:
There is no 2nd place in combat
Fuck jane fonda

Offline 02BLKnBLU

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
Here is my swap thread for 05-08 GSXR 1k wheels.

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-mods/135110-official-05-08-gsxr-1000-hayabusa-wheel-swap-thread-pics.html

Those wheels are also for sale now if you're interested. Blue '08, near perfect condition, rotors, tires, spacers. I also have the front spacers to fit a Gen 1. PM me for details.

Offline mysticblu999

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • turbohead
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »
 :shock:Holy crap those R1 wheels look awesome!
2007 Hayabusa Super Ultra (in progress)    
2013 Hayabusa Limited (on order)
2008 RM250 (for jumping stuff)

Super Ultra build thread http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=160376.new#new