Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ignition cuts (2-step and limiter)  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Burdog

• Rider
Ignition cuts (2-step and limiter)
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »
I have heard many rumors and myths about cutting ignition, and how it's bad for an engine. I also contacted MSD regarding this issue but I'm still waiting on a reply...

So I figured I'd come on here and ask.

2-step:
Cutting ignition in certian cylinders can help control your rpm on the launch line, but is it bad for the engine?

Personally, I can't see how it could be. Removing spark from a cylinder simply does not ignite the air/fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. So unless the change in momentum is THAT bad for the rotating parts, then no negative impact on the engine.

Rev limiter:
Cutting ignition totally to prevent over revving. Fuel is usually also cut, depending on the setup.

Again cutting ignition alone can't have that much of an impact, but doing a hard cut on fuelling as well, may.

I think as long as you cut fuel AFTER the ignition is cut and bring it back in BEFORE the ignition is back on, then no problems should arise.

Unless there are other problems such as self-ignition or detonation.

Lets say theres no cut for fuel at all...unless your hanging on the limiter for 30 seconds, I don't see how it could hydraulic a cylinder using only gas. Methanol MAYBE, but besides that I can't think of any other problems coming from overfuelling an engine that isn't igniting the mixture.

Thoughts?
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul. Feel it.