Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: roller cam chain conversion  (Read 13898 times)

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
Re: roller cam chain conversion
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
The only way the stock chain try's to climb the sprocket is because the tensioner is set to loose or it also trys to climb when turning backwards..Trust me if there is no play at all the chain does not try to climb especially just degreeing the cams.

yup, i don't do that no mo' :no:
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline Rossco

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 02:58:07 AM »
My exhaust cam timing was advanced when skipped. Lost about 18hp when that happened. I had .445/.415 cams and 65lbs springs.
Yikes, so the valvetrain inertia skipped it! Same as turning the crank backwards, wow I couldn't imagine that happening.
The intake stayed in time with and advanced with the exhaust?

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:55 AM »
lucky it was the exhaust cam rotating forward and not
the intake cam,they idle like a top fueller when the exhaust cam is
1 tooth forward.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »
My exhaust cam timing was advanced when skipped. Lost about 18hp when that happened. I had .445/.415 cams and 65lbs springs.
Yikes, so the valvetrain inertia skipped it! Same as turning the crank backwards, wow I couldn't imagine that happening.
Only the exhaust cam. I didn`t notice it right away when it happened, i was doing some amateur drag racing and there came one "pro" to look at my time sheet, he said "you should check your cam timing", how did he know  :shock:

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »
Only the exhaust cam. I didn`t notice it right away when it happened, i was doing some amateur drag racing and there came one "pro" to look at my time sheet, he said "you should check your cam timing", how did he know  :shock:

Did it break the upper guide when this happened?
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:25 AM »

If the crank is turned backwards the int advances (more lift) and the ex is retarded (less lift) at tdc

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »

Did it break the upper guide when this happened?
Yes, but it stayed in place with the other bolt. I guess i kept timing chain too loose, but it was quite tight before and it started to stretch, hard to find right tightness in the middle.