Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Opinions Needed/ 200RWHP Gen I  (Read 24384 times)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Opinions Needed/ 200RWHP Gen I
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to accomplish by pissing away what little cylinder pressure a low-compression stocker had, by installing a couple of giant cams like that.  I mean, how many times does it say on Web's web site that those cams need more compression to work?  That thing must have been miserable to ride.  :lol:

Yea it was , But at the time money was the thing and I just went with the head package ,for the most part they don't work with out the bottom end done    The bike now has 13:1 and not just 20miles on it ,I got 15,000 before she cracked and most likely would have gotten way more as the internals on the bike were in good shape ,  And yes Nos would have been cheeper but as we all know you can't stay off the bottle and BLAM! is allways the likely end to that motor LOL

I'm guessing that building the motor once would have been less expensive than doing it three times, and although a 13:1 1397 is not as bad a match for those cams as the 11:1 1300 was, you still have too much cam for too little engine.  You realize that you're using 277 degrees advertised duration and more importantly 250 degrees duration at .050" lift on BOTH sides of your engine? Who told you that was a good idea for riding back and forth to work?  Carpenter and Knecum both know better than that.  I'm guessing it was YOUR idea.

The OP is looking for help on improving his motorcycle, not on how to blow a bunch of money messing it up.  I'm guessing that in real round numbers here, that you've probably burned through around $6,000 or so, to arrive at your current Franken-motor, to obtain results of about 10 PEAK horsepower more than could have been obtained from a simple $350 OEM intake cam and a few odds and ends, and I'm guessing that the two-intake stocker would make more power from idle all the way up to almost 10,000 rpms.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:31:32 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 07:22:18 AM »
lol. :hys:.
my first foray into my motor was factory pros
cam set for a stock gen1 motor.basically 2 megacycle
385,s.i fitted them and went and did a roll on with
a mate with a stock motor,we rolled on at 3000 in
3rd gear,he dissapeared so fast he was in the next town
by the time mine came on cam.it went massively worse
than stock until 8000rpm,i was in 2nd gear for the next roll
on,lol.build it smart and get it right the first time,undercam,
good compression,high velocity porting and
cc,s make for lots of grins on the street,youll always
get the jump in a rollon.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:59 AM »
My unrestricted Gen I Hayabusa had a nearly stock 170 horsepower engine and weighed about 75 pounds less than stock.  It out-ran numerous 200+ horsepower bikes, endured HUNDREDS of full-throttle track miles (as a student, novice racer, expert racer, and finally instructor), got over 40 mpg, started on one battery with snow on it, ran great on pump 87 regular unleaded, never got hot, and served me well for over 30,000 miles of commuting, interstate travel, road racing, track days, drag racing, top speed runs, wheelie gatherings, Starbucks runs, camping trips, recreational mountain rides, and anything else I could think of doing with it, and it seemed to run better the day I sold it than the day I bought it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:50:30 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
...Installing a Stage I turbo kit (without a spacer plate) would be no more mechanically challenging than installing your Muzzy pipe was and certainly not a $2,000 job...
JOTD
 :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys:

but getting it to actually run smoothly and reliably will be easy?
 :no:
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »
...Installing a Stage I turbo kit (without a spacer plate) would be no more mechanically challenging than installing your Muzzy pipe was and certainly not a $2,000 job...
JOTD
 :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys:

but getting it to actually run smoothly and reliably will be easy?
 :no:

He will have to pay someone to map whatever combination he ends up with, whether it's two intakes, or a bolt-on turbo kit.

And what's hard about installing a Stage I kit with no spacer plate?
-Kirk

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:33 AM »
Kirk,
I am a NA guy and have no hands on knowledge of installing/stting up turbos.
But i have a ton of friends who have done it or had it done.

NONE of those folks have ever said it's simple to install even a low boost turbo and get it running like a stock machine.

Perhaps you's like to share your experiences mounting/tuning turbos???

Maybe it's simpler than I thought.
NOT

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
I didn't say it was "simple", I just said that it was not mechanically challenging.  Here's the online instructions for a Stage I ( Dennis' old "Ghetto" kit) with no baseplate spacer, to include the FMU installation and adjustment, completely illustrated.  You don't even have to take the valve cover off:

http://suzukihayabusa.org/Ghetto_Install2.pdf

Do step one, then step two, and so on, until you run out of steps.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:48:17 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
Kirk,
what is kinda sticking in my craw is you giving a mixture of good advice and bad advice (REALLY bad wrt turbo) to a guy who is just starting out.

You come off as an expert on engine mods.  This guy might just believe all the stuff you are saying

Had you ever been inside that 30,000mi motor which ran so well????  
Have you ever flashed an ECU?
Have you ever ridden even a well buily 1397 compared with a stock motor gen1?

I am not attacking you whatsoever, just cautioning new guy to get advice from someone who has been there, done that.
Even a simple pipe & powercommander are not without their issues (admitedly minor)
Karl

BTW:  my advice ito Eddie is to call Carpenter or Knecum, tell them his objectives, get pricing.
There are a zillion options.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:47:27 AM by entropy »

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »
I am always for the cubics. Maybe there should be some meditation to solve what one wants, the cheapest few horses, strong usable street engine, turbo power or just joy what building engine yourself gives, that`s me  :lol:

Offline MREDDIEB

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • "U can't just stop, U have 2 slow down 1st"
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
I am looking to spice up my ride without breaking the bank. Another factor is reliability. I had a friend of mind blow past me with his 1507 busa. Then it broke down. Blow the oil plug right out. It's a fine line when building a motor.

I was passed three times in one day by an 09 busa with full pipe and a night of the ECU editor. I had nothing on the guy, he had me buy at least 25 horses and 100 lbs lighter. I had only been passed like that once. I wanted at least 200 hp. Three thousand for the build ( drive in/ drive out) didn't sound bad. $2400 sounded even better. I'm not gonna be doing any of the wrenching. I don't even know any that knows how too locally.  I know a couple of people that think they know, but there bikes don't show it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:17:12 PM by MREDDIEB »
\"Do you know why I pulled you over?\" Md State Trooper

Even the best bike is only as good as it's operator.
"You can explain it to the judge." Va State Trooper

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Kirk,
what is kinda sticking in my craw is you giving a mixture of good advice and bad advice (REALLY bad wrt turbo) to a guy who is just starting out.

Not trying to sell him on the idea of a turbo. Maybe I should make myself clear on that point. I was simply using the economic arithmatic of a really basic turbo to illustrate that it's easy to surpass the expense of one, when going into the engine.

You come off as an expert on engine mods.  This guy might just believe all the stuff you are saying

The OP asked a question, and was given an incredibly bad "solution".  Just out of empathy for the OP, who would NOT have spoken up to save him from the hassles and heartache of a mess like that.  Is there something that I told him that was wrong?  Glenn appears to be on the same page, and I think he knows what he's doing.  

Had you ever been inside that 30,000mi motor which ran so well????  
Have you ever flashed an ECU?
Have you ever ridden even a well buily 1397 compared with a stock motor gen1?

I am not attacking you whatsoever, just cautioning new guy to get advice from someone who has been there, done that.
Even a simple pipe & powercommander are not without their issues (admitedly minor)
Karl

Karl, I've never HAD to go inside a 30,000 mile engine.  I've ridden a lot of bikes, and I've ridden (and raced) alongside a bunch more, including numerous 1397s, and I have no idea why someone would have issues with a simple pipe and Power Commander install.

If you're questioning my credentials to give advice of this nature, I was born into the industry, coming home from the hospital in a brand new 409-powered Chevrolet, with an interest in performance from the time I became old enough to understand, eventually using my crayons at age six to draw an accurate suck/squeeze/bang/blow sequence based on my knowledge.  I've been inside motorcycle racing engines since puberty, and began automobile racing engine development in competition on the 1320' chassis dyno on my 16th birthday.  I worked for a full-service race car fabrication facility with a dyno, and built all of my own racing engines, as well as engines for family, friends, and my customers.  These engines ranged from NHRA Stock Eliminator type builds, to fuel-injected roller-cam intercooled turbo builds with no rules, cost-no-object aluminum-head engines using hundreds of horsepower's worth of nitrous, to (literally) fire-breathing NHRA Pro ET Rotary Mazda engines.  My personality type causes me to not exactly be the life of the party when it's time to do this stuff, but I learn from the mistakes of others, and to tend to not make mistakes myself.  I'm nearing AARP membership age, and I have NEVER had an engine fail due to anything I did wrong. I understand the principles, I have an extensive background in racing engine math, I have held multiple ASE certifications, I am factory-trained by more makes than I could list, and have received numerous awards, including being appointed to a manufacturer's National Advisory Board.

So if Mr. 250@.050" stocker starts sending the OP down the wrong road, I'm gonna call "time out".  It's much easier and less expensive to do it now, than to have to help un-screw it up after he's already blown his entire budget and has less power than when he started out.  

You are correct that some engine combinations can have "teething" issues when it comes to set-up, and I have found that these generally become an issue based on the complexity of the set-up, the depth of the program, and the distance from which one strays from common combinations.  For that reason and others, I'm always looking for the simplest, most efficient, most reliable, most proven, and least invasive path to the stated goals.  And the OP's stated goals aren't much.

BTW:  my advice ito Eddie is to call Carpenter or Knecum, tell them his objectives, get pricing.

That is EXCELLENT advice, Karl.  Those guys have probably learned more stuff on accident, than I have learned on purpose.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:52:49 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
2400 isnt going to overcome 100lbs and 25hp,keep
saving buddy,and buy a gen2,then lose 100lbs.Then no one
has to touch your bike,the changeover price 2nd hand
isnt that much.its all simple maths,6.6lbs more needs
1ft/lb more to accelerate the same.you can gear it to help
but thats not the complete answer as you change up to
a higher gear sooner.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
2400 isnt going to overcome 100lbs and 25hp,keep
saving buddy,and buy a gen2,then lose 100lbs.Then no one
has to touch your bike,the changeover price 2nd hand
isnt that much.its all simple maths,6.6lbs more needs
1ft/lb more to accelerate the same.you can gear it to help
but thats not the complete answer as you change up to
a higher gear sooner.

I cannot argue against this course of action.
-Kirk

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
You want to see a REAL eye-opener, spend that same $3,000 on wheels/tires, suspension, and brakes, and there won't be enough horsepower in the world to keep up with you, unless there are no corners where you ride.

* A pair of Marvic Penta II wheels with a pair of Supercorsa SPs with a 55 on the back

* 1" raising links, re-spring and re-valve both ends for your weight, properly adjusted

* HH front pads, steel front brake hoses, and high-temperature front brake fluid

And then go take a class at a track day.   :tu:
-Kirk

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
Kirk :    realize that you're using 277 degrees advertised duration and more importantly 250 degrees duration at .050   .It's 252 Duration and I did not have anything to do with the build , It's one on Bob's 1397 packages and I really think he knows what he is doing , Do you have a shop like him ? do you cnc Port? I did not list all the parts to my build but I will tell you that the bike will put any Frankin Bike you put together to shame :)  So yes I put out $3500 on the first build That's Porting and 1397 Yes I went 2 times But that's My Problem , And yes this time It cost me 3 years later a Head at a reduced price and my choice to have Steve do the refresh on the Motor      this Bike will rip a New asshole out of most Backyard modded Busa"s from people that don't have the money to do it right and spend it on the best                                        , Oh yes don't build up your motor and just put a 30 shot on it and it will be just as fastLOL   Seen a pile of those motors with the hole in the pistons   ,   Not trying to flame ya here but it seems like you have all the answers , My point was that Bigger cams and a port did not do it for me  , There is no replacement for displacement

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »
Have you taken it off any sweet jumps, Napoleon?   :lol:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:13:19 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline MREDDIEB

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »
Have you taken it off any sweet jumps, Napoleon?   :lol:

Don't understand your statement.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
Just gassing him.  It's a line from the movie "Napoleon Dynamite".   :lol:

I'm kind of wondering what his best ET / MPH has been since all this, if he's put his 64.5" bike in the eights yet?

...it will run 8's...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:25:10 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline MREDDIEB

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Oh, well I gonna save my money and buy a new bike. But I an't losing a 100lbs  8)

Gonna buy a Harley!

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
Kirk :Don't keep my slips but  found some time slips for ya , How do I reduce them down to fit here ? these were with a cracked head

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
Sorry, man, I'm not much of a geek.  Just tell us what YOU have run.  Not interested in other people's time slips, lol.   :wink:   
-Kirk

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
Very Funny 9.097@ 150.88 1.482 60ft  9.149 @154.94 1.546 60ft     

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Come to Atco or Island and bring your walker and I will help you up on my bike so you could take it for a ride ,Just get a Dr's Note for me that the plastic hip you got will be ok for the G's  :P

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
Very Funny 9.097@ 150.88 1.482 60ft  9.149 @154.94 1.546 60ft     

I don't know, man, these guys put one into the 8s at over 155 mph with a lowered/piped stock (stock wheelbase, foot-shifted, valve cover never been off) Hayabusa.  I'm not sure I see the point of your stretched, ported, big cam, big bore.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrsIt_I6hqw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wrsIt_I6hqw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
-Kirk

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Yea you can do that with a good hand and a suited weight of 120lbs    I weight 200 in gear and am no expert ,so give my a Jockey and let see low 8's   , My buddies all run gen 2 Vmaxs Same bike owner runs 9.9 ,Jockey on bike back to back 135lbs ran 9.35 sooooooooooooo    Hey by the way what's your fastest time you have run with that 24volt wheel chair  :hys: