Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Opinions Needed/ 200RWHP Gen I  (Read 24286 times)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Opinions Needed/ 200RWHP Gen I
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Hey by the way what's your fastest time you have run with that 24volt wheel chair  :hys:

It hasn't been real impressive, but I've learned that the key to a good launch is in having a fresh pair of Depends.  I think even on my best day, you'd still have me covered.
-Kirk

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2011, 05:45:10 PM »
Gadson weighs 155 suited, not 120.  The bike he's riding is at stock weight, less the stock exhaust and mirrors.  There's a bunch of stuff that you can take off of yours, if you haven't already, that would go a long ways towards making up that 45 pounds.  In any case, that 45 pounds will get you probably another two MPH, but it's not like it's going to make it go 160.    

And Gadson's left hand certainly makes the most of the horsepower that's available, much better than I could anyways. He can do things at stock wheelbase that mere mortals could not do at 64.5" like your bike.  I'm assuming that your skill level probably falls somewhere between his and mine.  

But this discussion isn't about the rider- it's about the bike.  Your ported, big-cam, big-bore engine is probably making 205 horsepower, and they're getting probably 200 horsepower without even lifting the valve cover.  To me, that makes the second cooling fan, the second battery, the scheduled valve spring replacements, and all the other hassles not worth it, not to mention the amount of money that you spent getting to this point.  Just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:00:46 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
No 209 On Jeff's At Action Cycle in Spring Valley NY  It did make 220 On Bobs But I don't take much on dyno numbers as tire height when spun up and  Chain tightness and so much more can make you get what ever number your customer want's to see Any way I am getting old here and this post has become a train wreck LOL  you can bust my balls all you want I know what i have and am happy with my BIG CAMS and so is my wife :thumb:

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Yes 24 volt no second fan Bike does not overheat and bobs springs last a very long time

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
Okay...  :lol:
-Kirk

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to accomplish by pissing away what little cylinder pressure a low-compression stocker had, by installing a couple of giant cams like that.  I mean, how many times does it say on Web's web site that those cams need more compression to work?  That thing must have been miserable to ride.  :lol:

Yea it was , But at the time money was the thing and I just went with the head package ,for the most part they don't work with out the bottom end done    The bike now has 13:1 and not just 20miles on it ,I got 15,000 before she cracked and most likely would have gotten way more as the internals on the bike were in good shape ,  And yes Nos would have been cheeper but as we all know you can't stay off the bottle and BLAM! is allways the likely end to that motor LOL

I'm guessing that building the motor once would have been less expensive than doing it three times, and although a 13:1 1397 is not as bad a match for those cams as the 11:1 1300 was, you still have too much cam for too little engine.  You realize that you're using 277 degrees advertised duration and more importantly 250 degrees duration at .050" lift on BOTH sides of your engine? Who told you that was a good idea for riding back and forth to work?  Carpenter and Knecum both know better than that.  I'm guessing it was YOUR idea.

The OP is looking for help on improving his motorcycle, not on how to blow a bunch of money messing it up.  I'm guessing that in real round numbers here, that you've probably burned through around $6,000 or so, to arrive at your current Franken-motor, to obtain results of about 10 PEAK horsepower more than could have been obtained from a simple $350 OEM intake cam and a few odds and ends, and I'm guessing that the two-intake stocker would make more power from idle all the way up to almost 10,000 rpms.

I just repaired what the guy had, what he has works, i'm not saying it would be my choice for a built motor of that size.. But like i said i repaired what he had. His head developed a crack in the port that went into the cooling system.Carpenter said he couldn't fix it and sold him a new head at a reduced price. Half of the shops wouldn't been able to even diagnose it. It even took me an hr after assembly as i just sumed it up to a h.g. issue as i took it apart. Please don't question my skills or assume that i did this or recommend that unless you know the facts. Let me get back to the dozen of engines i have to attend to!

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »
Don't worry, Steve, I would never question your skills, and I didn't assume that you did this or recommended it.  :wink:

Clearblue- This is just as I suspected.  All Steve did was take the mess that you brought him, diagnose your mechanical concern, and repair what was broken.
-Kirk

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
Don't worry, Steve, I would never question your skills, and I didn't assume that you did this or recommended it.  :wink:

Clearblue- This is just as I suspected.  All Steve did was take the mess that you brought him, diagnose your mechanical concern, and repair what was broken.

No problem Kirk..Just want to clearblue things up :hys:

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »
Very punny...  :lol:
-Kirk

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
So Kirk you understand that This (Cam Size) was Carpenter's Package not my pick but what works for him with his port on his builds Weather you agree with it or not  as Steve said not his choice but it works , I went to Steve as he was recamended to me By my friend Bill W as a good st right up guy

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »
I would be more than a little surprised if Carpenter came on here and said that he thought that a pair of .425" lift cams with 252 degrees duration at .050" lift were the best choice for installing one of his ported cylinder heads on your stock 11:1 1300 short block, for you to use as a commuter vehicle back and forth to work with .001% drag strip use (20 miles divided by 15,000 miles- your numbers).  I really don't see it happening. 

That's just so absurd, to anyone that knows ANYTHING about engine building, I feel dumber for having even typed it.

I'm guessing a more likely scenario is that you just "wanted" the biggest cams possible, because you thought "bigger is better", and all of the rest of this crap came out of ancillary issues relating to that choice. 

If Carpenter signed off on this AT ALL, I suspect that your representation to him of your intended usage and your ACTUAL usage, lacked any semblence of continuity, in this or any alternate dimension.  Like, for example,  if you told him that you were building a grudge bike with a license plate, instead of telling him that you were using it primarily as a commuter vehicle but wanted to go to try it out at the drag strip a few weekends a year at the hobby level.
-Kirk

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 07:49:02 AM »
I would be more than a little surprised if Carpenter came on here and said that he thought that a pair of .425" lift cams with 252 degrees duration at .050" lift were the best choice for installing one of his ported cylinder heads on your stock 11:1 1300 short block, for you to use as a commuter vehicle back and forth to work with .001% drag strip use (20 miles divided by 15,000 miles- your numbers).  I really don't see it happening. 

That's just so absurd, to anyone that knows ANYTHING about engine building, I feel dumber for having even typed it.

I'm guessing a more likely scenario is that you just "wanted" the biggest cams possible, because you thought "bigger is better", and all of the rest of this crap came out of ancillary issues relating to that choice. 

If Carpenter signed off on this AT ALL, I suspect that your representation to him of your intended usage and your ACTUAL usage, lacked any semblence of continuity, in this or any alternate dimension.  Like, for example,  if you told him that you were building a grudge bike with a license plate, instead of telling him that you were using it primarily as a commuter vehicle but wanted to go to try it out at the drag strip a few weekends a year at the hobby level.

Kirk that was Bob's recommendations i can promise you that.Bob runs either a 443/425 or a 425/425 in everything he builds.no matter what the size or application...that's a fact, i use to work for him for 5 yrs..

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 08:19:50 AM »
Kirk:  I really don't know why you think i had anything to do with the cam size ?    Thanx Steve for clearing that up

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »
Well, Steve, I'm not going to question you, and I don't think I'd question Bob either, so I guess that leaves me "more than a little surprised".

I must give this thread a rhetorical "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!" (military phonetics for "WTF!").  I think it's safe to say that I don't understand using giant cams on everything, regardless of the engine that they were going into or the intended usage.

I do feel for this kid.  My reasoning was sound, but I guess I owe clearblue an apology for blaming him for the cam choice, because I was wrong.  I'm sorry.

I have what I feel is a long and reasonably successful background based on my own anecdotal experiences.  I fed myself for two years back in the '80s out of my winnings from racing NHRA Pro ET at two different local drag strips, twice a week (Wednesday evening 1/8 mile and Sunday morning 1/4 mile) in my N/A stick-shift rotary Mazda, that I built the engine for on a kitchen chair in my dining room at home.  Again, I'm not questioning Bob, I'm just saying that I would NEVER have put those cams in a stocker, and I would have explained to him why, as I was talking him out of spending his money with me.  At the WORST, I would have let him "lay away" his project, by paying for the parts up front, until he had all the parts purchased and had saved up enough for the labor.

Just wow.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:39:34 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
Thanx Kirk , Also I am no kid 49 years young :) I spent my youth building Chevy motors with my dad and I am handy with tools But as I get older money is not a problem  time is , I could have dropped 10 grand at the time but I felt I was spending what I wanted to , Bob was stright up with me and I told him what the bike would be used for . Kirk you are not the first that have been like "What size cams"    :eek: but it is what it is  :thumb:

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:45 AM »
I guess so.  :wink:
-Kirk