Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: You might be a racer if........  (Read 4073 times)

Offline duchottie

• Rider
You might be a racer if........
« on: December 13, 2002, 12:35:00 AM »
I found this on another bike related site. You may have heard something like this before. It was originally wrote out with race cars in mind. I went through and revised it a bit. Kirk helped me out, too.

- You take your helmet along when you go to buy new eyeglasses or check out bikes.

- You feel compelled on a road trip to beat your previous best time.

- You are happiest when your street bikes tires have enormous tire boogers.

- When something falls off of your bike, you wonder how much weight you just saved.

- When you hear 'overcooked it', instead of food you think 'off the track'.

- You change engine oil every other week.

- You sometimes hear little noises from your passenger when you get on the throttle right after turning in.

- You thoroughly enjoy showing the tailgater behind how to drive around a highway off-ramp.

- Your racing budget is one of the big three -- mortgage, motorcycle payments/repair, food

-Your email address refers to your race bike rather than to you.

- You walk proper lines through the grocery store.

- You've paid $4.00 a gallon for gas without complaining.

- You buy new parts because you don't know where you put the spares.

- You bought a race bike before buying a house.

- You bought a race bike before buying furniture for the new house.

- You're looking for a tow vehicle and still haven't bought furniture!

- You find that you need a new house because you've outgrown your garage and the neighbors are threatening violence if you park one more vehicle on the street or in the front yard.

- The requirements you give your real estate agent are (in order of importance):
1) 8 car climate controlled garage with an attached shop.
2) Outside parking for a motor home, a crew cab dualie, a 28'enclosed trailer and a 34' 5th wheel.
3) 3 phase 220V outlets in the garage for your welder.
4) A bike lift.
5) Convenient to a hazardous waste disposal site.
6) Deaf neighbors.
7) Across the street from a paint and body shop.
8) Some sort of house with a working toilet and shower on the property somewhere -or- hookups for the motor home.

- You measure all family acquisitions in terms of the number of sets of race tires that could have been purchased.

- You know well that Orthodontic work is the equivalent of three sets of tires

- You sit on your race bike in a dark garage and make motorcycle noises, while waiting for your motor to get back from the machine shop.

- You look at the purchase of tools as a long term investment.

- You wrap your Christmas presents, using safety wire.

- Your wife says, "If you buy another set of tires, I'm getting a new mink."

- Your garage holds more bikes than your house has bedrooms.

- You have enough spare parts to build another sport bike.

- More than one racer supply house recognizes your voice and greets you by name when you call.

- You have motorcycle parts in your cubicle at work.

- You think the last line of the Star Spangled Banner is: "Riders, start your engines!"

- If you can't remember when you last worked on weekdays and rested on weekends.

- You're registered for wedding gifts at the Motorhead and Street n Competition.

- Your Christmas list begins with another set of Rennsports and Double-H kit race brake pads and your 'significant other' knows what they are.

- After your answer to "What did you do this weekend?" the next question is always: "And you do this for fun? Right?"

- You have a separate closet for your leathers.

- Your reading material in your bathroom consists of motorcycle parts and racing supply catalogs, several books written by famous riders,  and 400 sport bike magazines, none of which have centerfolds.

- People know you by your bike number, bike color, or the sound of your can.

- People know you by your "offs". "Oh, you are the one who went down on turn 3.”

- Your first date involves asking her to be your umbrella girl.

- Your criteria for selecting a significant other includes experience operating a race
stand and tire warmers.

- Your friends don't recognize you without your leathers and helmet.
- Your nicest suit is made by Spyke.

- Your hairstylists name is Arai.

- You plan your wedding around the race schedule.

- You remember the dates and details of every race you've ever been in, but can't remember your phone number.

- Your family brings the couch into the garage so they can spend some time with you.

- You complain when cars in front of you on highway off-ramps don't stay on the line, causing your exit speed to drop.

- You refer to the corner down the street from your house as "Turn One."

- You look at the fire hydrant at that corner and see an apex marker.

- You always late apex the intersection and try to pass a few cars coming out.

- Everywhere you go, you try to find the fastest line through the turn.

- You can't stand anyone telling others how to ride. Of course, you are the best.

- You always want to change something in your street bike to make it handle better.

- You will gladly pay up to $8 for a quart of engine oil.

- You hate long distance driving, but you will gladly ride 800 miles to the race track.

- You save broken bike parts as " mementos".

- Your last several freeway forays included just getting your knee down as you apex the on-ramps perfectly....

- The local motorcycle shop won't honor the warranty on any sport bike you have been within 50 yards of...

- The local police and state Highway Patrol have a picture of your bike taped to their dashboard.

- You spend more time polishing your bike every day than you do bathing.  

- White smoke coming out from under your rear tire is a common sight.

- You consider the redline a "conservative suggestion" and the rev limiter "a fun limiter"

- You spend more on insurance premiums than on food.

- Your idea of a good time is sitting around figuring out gear ratios and remapping
your fuel injection.

- You have racing shops programmed on your speed dialer.

- You own five bikes and only one of them is street legal. Sort of.

- You know the 1/4 mile times and skid pad numbers of your riding mower and want to improve them.

- You've embarrassed your significant other at least once by insisting on wearing full
leathers to their parent’s house.

- You know the "racing line" of every turn in your daily commute, including your alternate routes, and practice hitting them every day.

- You quote your street tire wear life in weeks rather than miles.

- You regularly live test your rev limiter on that straight that's a little too long for 2nd but not worth going into 3rd for.

- You've started looking for sponsors for your daily commute.

- You've slalomed in a construction zone, and counted your penalty time in the rearview afterwards.

- After you tell your fiancée where you'd like to go on your honeymoon she answers: "Why... is there a race there?"
duchottie aka svhottie

Offline Jebakaturbogsxrpilot

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 02:30:00 AM »
Not bad, ya got some funny ones there!!!  
So I'm having this dream! I'm on my Turbo Busa and these guys are after me in a car, but they can't catch me, So they get a bike, but they can't catch me. So they get a plane, and just as their about to catch me, the TURBO KICKS IN!

Offline COLDSTONE1300

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 02:30:00 AM »
         Very Good!

"- You save broken bike parts as " mementos".

Heehee yeh i'm guilty of that(along with 40% of the other stuff listed). Still got the Fairing and rightside bodypanel from when I highsided my Blackbird in the rain. Both are hanging right above where I park the bike in the garage. Serves as a Nice Pre-ride reminder That i'm not Invincible.      

Offline Busarodz

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 04:03:00 AM »
Nice list DucHottie! Lot of work went into that!

"Conan, what is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 10:40:00 AM »
You did good, Sweet Cheeks.          
-Kirk

Offline duchottie

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »
Thank you. Again - I didn't write all of that. I just edited it a bit. I just thought it was hilarious! Parts of it reminded me of Kirk and I.  
duchottie aka svhottie

Offline NICKSLICK

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://www.websitemonster.com/nico/movies
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 01:47:00 PM »

GUILTY!!!

MY ANIMATED GIRLY GIF IS BETTER THAN YOURS PUNK. (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 04:34:00 PM »
Crap, I've been found out! I keep meaning to get furniture but the Busa's always needing the next mod!  

Nice list. Thanks duchottie and Kirk.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by NICKSLICK:

GUILTY!!!

Ditto.
-Kirk