Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: rear rotor mod  (Read 13555 times)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: rear rotor mod
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »
Kirk, I was wondering about that blue spots at the rear break, too.
I always use both breaks of course and the rear one only subsequent.
Our dragrace tracks are sometimes not so long so you must break very hard from 180+mph to 0.

But the blue spots are not the problem in my opinion.  Its the bent metal.
The milled-out portions were parallel before.
The reason Ive posted that pic was to show "Wildphil" what happened when you milled out too much metal.
(BTW: Ive bought that one from ebay for 115USD)

Mikey

I have always assumed that these cheese-holed rear rotors, just like the Yoyodyne Titanium rear brake rotors, were brake rotors only in the cosmetic sense, that is to say that they were only on the bike for the purpose of passing technical inspection, because motorcycle racing rules almost always require a "functional" rear brake.  The tech guy pushes on the rear brake lever, the caliper clamps the pads to the rotor, the bike won't roll, and you pass tech.  But they were never intended to be used for any actual braking purpose out on the track, or even at anything more than about a walking pace.  I saw someone actually try to use one of those Yoyodyne Titanium rear brake rotors to reduce the speed of a motorcycle on the track, and it torched the rotor in one stop- anyways, I thought that these things were kind of the same.  From looking at it, I wouldn't think that it would take a lot of force to bend it.

I don't have a complete answer, but I wouldn't use the rear brake in pavement-based races AT ALL-  I mean the front brakes are PLENTY powerful enough to haul these things down RIGHT FREEKIN' NOW.  The rear brake isn't gonna do anything but put you on the ground:

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=75345.0

My Hayabusa was being hauled down on the track from 190 mph (using the front brakes ONLY), hard enough to lift the back tire off the ground, every one minute and fourteen seconds, with the remaining one minute and ten seconds being spent mostly at wide-open throttle and even more maximum braking, and this goes on for up to 20 minutes at a time if I'm going to stay out for a whole practice session.  The brakes never fade, or discolor, or do anything to indicate in any way that this use is causing them any distress at all- it's perfectly normal- it's what they were designed for.

That's why the front has two ventilated brakes of 320 mm each, with up to 12 caliper pistons on them.

If you need help picking front brake pads or something, I'd be happy to help- there are some really good ones out there.  But there shouldn't be ANY drag strip that you can't get stopped at (using the front brakes only)- the brakes on these bikes are really that good, and there's no reason that you (or any other rider) should have to be anything less than completely safe.  :bike:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:34:41 PM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline Mike-Nightrider

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 02:10:33 AM »
All true Kirk  :tu:

I think still using the rear break at the dragraces results from my former "wheeelybar/10"slick" time
when the front wheel was so narrow and the front break not even larger than from a scooter  :lol:

BTW: Ive swapped to a galfer rear disk and everything is nice  :bike:

Sorry Phil for disturbing your thread  :?

Bump for your test disk !!!!!  :thumb:
Dragraceteam NIGHTRIDER
1/8: 5.101s..........1/4: 7.801s
227.7mph Woodbridge/GB 2013

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:01 AM »
Mike, I updated the brake tutorial with the correct current EBC part numbers, if that's of any use to you:

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=75357.0
-Kirk

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
i do apologize wildphil69.... after christmas my work picks up quite a bit... and with my kids back in school from the christmas break. just been a lot happening.
if the offer still stands, ill take/buy that rotor and ill report back to you with the results...
if i missed my opportunity, i understand.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:34:41 AM by grecco »

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »

I don't have a complete answer, but I wouldn't use the rear brake in pavement-based races AT ALL-  I mean the front brakes are PLENTY powerful enough to haul these things down RIGHT FREEKIN' NOW.  The rear brake isn't gonna do anything but put you on the ground:

I use my rear a lot...... mostly because I go outside the track and have to brake in the runoff area where traction is poooor:):):)
I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)