Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Texas Mile complications...  (Read 14176 times)

Offline 106mm

• Post Whore
  • 2007 Turbo Hayabusa
Texas Mile complications...
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
J & S Matus Motorsports, Inc.
January 10, 2012

Important Updates:  Challenges being faced by The Texas Mile in its efforts to work with the Bee Development Authority to create an agreement that supports Chase Field being The Home of The Texas Mile

The staff of the Texas Mile has been in contract negotiations with the Bee Development Authority since April of 2011. The Bee Development Authority is a board of appointees who control the use of the Chase Field Facility where we hosted our May and October 2011 Texas Mile events.

We have worked very closely with the community and named Beeville as the New Home of The Texas Mile. The City of Beeville had even presented us with a proclamation at the May event and the Chamber of Commerce had performed a ribbon cutting ceremony at our October 2011 event. Even with all this positive momentum and two successful events in 2011 that made a significant economic impact to Bee County and Beeville, we have been faced with many challenges behind the scenes. Due to the critical level that some of the challenges have reached, now is the time to let everyone know the steps that have been taken in order to make sure that the Texas Mile event can call Beeville its home. We are bringing to light the key issues that have arisen between the BDA and J & S Matus Motorsports, Inc.

Contract negotiations between the Bee Development Authority and J & S Matus Motorsports, Inc started promptly after the last Texas Mile event in Goliad Texas which occurred in March of 2011. From the beginning, J & S Matus Motorsports desired to sign a long term contract with the BDA to make Chase Field in Beeville, Texas its home. We voiced our desire to have a long term contract to the BDA and hoped that those desires would come to fruition.

In May of 2011 we were presented with the first draft of the contract from the BDA. Instead of being presented with the long term agreement that we desired we were presented with a short term agreement and given no choice but to sign this contract so that we could move forward with our May and October Texas Mile events. There was some good faith language in the contract that said we would be working towards a long term agreement and we were hopeful to have the long term contract completed by the October 2011 Texas Mile event.

On September 2, 2011 we sent the director of the BDA, Joe Montez, a contract that showed certain elements we wanted included. We were continuously told that the BDA and its sub-committee were making updates and changes and that we would be pleased. To our surprise when we received the contract in November 2011, it was nothing similar to what we had requested. There were key areas of the contract that were of great concern to us. Some of these areas include

1. An unrealistic vastly increased and out-of-standards insurance requirement (from 5 million to 50 million in liability coverage),

2. The contract was still only a one year agreement

3. There is no guarantee that the BDA will renew the contract for 2013

4. And a 30 day without cause out clause was included.

We expressed our grave concerns both verbally and in writing. The director of the BDA, Joe Montez, indicated that we could submit our concerns. We followed the process and submitted an eight page outline of our concerns as discussion points, continuing to ask for an audience with the BDA and the Committee, which has not occurred.

We were advised, between the week of Christmas and New Year's, that the BDA had approved another contract addressing our concerns and that they were sending it over to the insurance provider for any other final recommendations. Upon receiving the contract on Jan 3rd we found that there were minimal changes and the key concerns were not addressed. During this process we had continued to offer up our desire to present documented information regarding standards for motorsports insurance and to have an open dialogue with experts in the field. These requests have been either ignored or denied by the director, Joe Montez, or the BDA. Upon contacting Joe Montez after receiving this latest contract, he indicated that the contract was non-negotiable and that everything in the contract was to protect their assets. We were also given only a fifteen day period to accept the agreement and execute it. No explanation or justification for the contract's unrealistic insurance requirements or lack of addressing many of our concerns was provided to us.

The Texas Mile staff and leadership are aggressively seeking remedies to the situation including potentially moving the event to another location, if it is even possible.

The City of Beeville's elected officials, Main Street Manager, its residents, and its businesses, have been extremely supportive in trying to rectify the issues with the BDA and Chase Field. They too have invested substantially in making Beeville the home of the Texas Mile. We greatly appreciate them and thank them many times over. We continue to want to bring The Texas Mile event to Beeville. The Texas Mile delivers a significant economic impact and exposure for the City of Beeville that reaches not only every corner of the United States but all over the world.

We thank you for your continued support of The Texas Mile and we hope to have good news for you all soon.

ALSO:

Today, Shannon and Jessica attended the City Coucil Meeting in Beeville to request Hotel/Motel Tax funds to help cover the cost of the new $50 million dollar insurance policy. The Council will vote on giving us the funds on Monday, January 16th. Contact information is coming your way soon so that YOU can voice your opinion to the City, its officials, and the BDA. Stay Tuned...

Sincerely,

Jay Matus, Shannon Matus & Jessica Reyna

info@texasmile.net

281-303-1844

2007 Turbo Hayabusa
442 hp
Texas Mile 200 mph club

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Re: Texas Mile complications...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
not good, especiallly with registration coming up in less than 2 weeks  :(

Offline ABP

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
This close and still no deal? Doesn't sound good for any track improvements if we are this close and not contracted.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:43:15 PM »
How can they even come up with the $50M number, they are vehicles racing not aircraft...

Sounds like someone else wants a BIG piece of the Mile pie!
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline brmrc51

• Rider
  • DUMP PIPES SAVE LIVES !
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
greed is a nasty thing, hope you all can work it out :(

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »
 :td: :td: :td:
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
Ryan, i remember hearing talk of moving to Waco. I guess we all should start looking for somewhere else.
I don't understand how they came up with 50M either.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
With today's economy if they don't want to be reasonable, I'd say pack up shop and MOVE! 

They are only going to hurt there local town and businesses when the Texas Mile goes away.

Do they really want to chance a few thousand(?) on the insurance, when the town will lose 100X that....
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
not really josh  the oil fracting is going soooooo big down there that this is nothing to them. you should see the trucks at night on 183 and 181.
 the good news is I have been working on the old airstrip in Goliad, new concrete and longer :tu:
now if the Navy will  let us have it back :eek:
Official Site Tuner
Builder and tuner of some of the FASTEST motorcycle in the world
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
not really josh  the oil fracting is going soooooo big down there that this is nothing to them. you should see the trucks at night on 183 and 181.
 the good news is I have been working on the old airstrip in Goliad, new concrete and longer :tu:
That would be great, i like it better.

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
My 2 cents:
I liked Goliad, I like Beeville  :thumb:

It might be good to not get too stirred up over this till we see how it plays out.

I deal with, have dealt with and have been part of the negotiating Team on a zillion contracts, all different sizes, and i gotta say that Liability and Insurance requirements are ALWAYS a sticking point. 

Someone always wants something unreasonable.  It 99% always gets settled during negotiation.  Therefore i'm hopeful.

(that said, i like the idea of Waco a real lot.)

Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
If i remember correctly there are several strips around Waco. I don't remember how long though.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust

Offline BlueHaya

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I really like Waco.....I could sleep in my own bed :tu:

TSTC would be the best choice
TX Mile 3-2011  177.4
TX Mile 10-2011  189.7
TX Mile 3-2012   199.0
TX Mile 10-2012  210.5
TX Mile 3-2013   210.8

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
Waco would be good so would Dallas/Fort Worth.
Just trying to do whats right.
Wanna go fast.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »

Hmm....then why the cost increase if they have extra money coming from the oil side?

As far as Goliad, it would just take talking to the right Commander and getting approval.  I liked that track also just didn't like the location... ;)

If i remember correctly there are several strips around Waco. I don't remember how long though.

CNW/TSTC would be great!  8,600' x 150' and it runs North/South... :D

Wish we could do it at IAH... :lol:

Offline glarior

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
The TSTC track in waco is nice. When Bush 2 was president and he wanted to go to his ranch and airforce 1 would land at TSTC. So if a massive 747 can land and take off... just image what our bikes would do! Now mind you this has been many many many years since I have been there and bush 2 has not been president for a while so I don't know how good the track is now.
LTA-221.18mph - MPS/F-2000/4 Class record
Mojave - 213.2
Texas Mile - Goliad 201mph
Texas Mile - Beeville 210.5mph

Did I mention it was on a zx14? :-)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
How can they even come up with the $50M number, they are vehicles racing not aircraft...

Sounds like someone else wants a BIG piece of the Mile pie!

They're not making money by demanding a bigger insurance policy.  The only people that stand to make money from that is the insurance company that ultimately provides the policy, and they aren't even  involved in this.

The real matter is LIABILITY.  Ambulance chasers have driven up the costs of doing almost anything, because no matter what, they are happy to sue anybody, for anything, at any time.  Like when someone spills THEIR OWN coffee in their lap, and then sues McDonalds for three million dollars.  McDonald's didn't owe then squat.  A wad of paper napkins and another cup of coffee would have been above and beyond.

The costs of all of these frivilous law suits is passed directly onto the consumer.  Sounds like Beeville just doesn't want to get left holding the bag if something goes wrong, and like entropy said, the liability insurance is is ALWAYS an issue.

I wish you guys the very best- when I retire, I fully intend to come down there and participate in the Texas mile on a Hayabusa.
-Kirk

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
crickets...

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
  Like when someone spills THEIR OWN coffee in their lap, and then sues McDonalds for three million dollars.  McDonald's didn't owe then squat.  A wad of paper napkins and another cup of coffee would have been above and beyond.

Kirk,
do a lil research on the McDonalds coffee case; it's not the frivolous litigation that most people think it is...

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
  Like when someone spills THEIR OWN coffee in their lap, and then sues McDonalds for three million dollars.  McDonald's didn't owe then squat.  A wad of paper napkins and another cup of coffee would have been above and beyond.

Kirk,
do a lil research on the McDonalds coffee case; it's not the frivolous litigation that most people think it is...

Thankyou, was going to post about it but no point...

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
They voted to give us the tax money to help offset the cost of the insurance hike.  :tu:
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
They voted to give us the tax money to help offset the cost of the insurance hike.  :tu:
:thumb: for the update

Offline BlueHaya

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
 :tu:

now if they will move the 30 day out clause to 90days.
 :bike:
TX Mile 3-2011  177.4
TX Mile 10-2011  189.7
TX Mile 3-2012   199.0
TX Mile 10-2012  210.5
TX Mile 3-2013   210.8

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Good stuff, thanks Ryan... :thumb:

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
It looks like we are a go for the 22nd.  Registration opens at 2pm.  Be there or be square.
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline 106mm

• Post Whore
  • 2007 Turbo Hayabusa
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
The City of Beeville, Texas held a special council meeting today (1/16/2012) in reference to voting to utilize hotel/motel tax funds to offset the increased premium needed for the $50,000,000 insurance requirement imposed by Chase Field's Business Development Authority (BDA). The City Council voted unanimously to approve the use of $71,449.00 to offset the extensive premium required. The Texas Mile has been providing a significant economic impact to the area for the past nine years.

The Texas Mile Staff thanks the City of Beeville and officials that made this a priority. The City of Beeville has been a huge supporter of The Texas Mile and continues to demonstrate their desire to welcome us and the economic and PR impact we provide.

Now to what you all really want to hear: With this great news from the City of Beeville, we are ready to launch registration this Sunday (1/22/2012) at 2:00PM Central Standard Time. Remember that The Texas Mile has sold out in 24 hours in the past!

We look forward to seeing you in Beeville, Texas on March 23-25, 2012.   

Sincerely,

Jay Matus, Shannon Matus & Jessica Reyna

info@texasmile.net

281-303-1844
2007 Turbo Hayabusa
442 hp
Texas Mile 200 mph club

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:28 PM »
Great news, this is the year I'm.going, if I can successfully register in time.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Get on your computer at 2 or 3 Sunday afternoon.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline California Kid

• Rider
    • Bills Landspeed Racing
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
Ryan ,

any work about getting the runway repaired .

Bill :tu:
RCC stage 2 turbo :Texas Mile Oct 2019 240.6 Texas Mile March 2019 237.8 ,Texas Mile 2018 227.4 ,Texas 09 199.166  March stock 08 Busa 2nd drive
Louis Heil 205.523 MPH Texas Oct 09 199.780 , Mojave 2018 217.6
Loring 09  207.837 Aug stock 08 Busa,
Mojave 2010 186.8 MPH 08 Busa.Texas 2010 march
202.3 MPH Loring 2011 July 208 MPH
Mojave 2018 217 MPH
Texas 2011 March 202 Texas Oct 2011 204.9, Mojave ,Oct 2013 215.6 , Texas Mile Oct 2013-213.6 , Mojave April 2014- 215.6

Offline ABP

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
Ryan ,

any work about getting the runway repaired .

Bill :tu:

I second this.

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
I haven't been informed about any work that is going on with the track.  I'm not saying that they haven't been doing stuff, I'm just saying that I'm not in the loop if they are.
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline ABP

• Rider
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
Ryan,

Thank you for the reply.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Anyone having trouble with the Texas Mile registration page? 

Do you have to create a new login for the registration that is different from the forum?

(I don't think my bike will be ready in time but wanted to create a profile so my info would be in there system.)

Offline BlueHaya

• Rider
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
I did it right at 2 and had no problems.  You do have to create a user profile first.
TX Mile 3-2011  177.4
TX Mile 10-2011  189.7
TX Mile 3-2012   199.0
TX Mile 10-2012  210.5
TX Mile 3-2013   210.8

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
We are in, Brenda Sue got us registered. I am second rider. Since I am building the bike, and it has never been down the track or on the street, I will make the first pass. After that it will be all Brenda Sue's :tu:
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
i'm in  :D

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »
Cheese man is in aswell as Jen :thumb:
Official Site Tuner
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline Stubbs

• Post Whore
  • 265+mph Club
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
We are in, Brenda Sue got us registered. I am second rider. Since I am building the bike, and it has never been down the track or on the street, I will make the first pass. After that it will be all Brenda Sue's :tu:

Sweet Fred Good Luck!  :tu:

I will not be racing but if anyone needs any help, parts, etc please don't hesitate to call!   :tu:
265 mph Naked Loring (World record)
262 mph Naked #ecta Arkansas Track record
253.4 mph Naked Texas mile
241.8 mph Half mile (WR)
248 naked Colorado Mile (TR)/TredwayStubbs Racing
248 naked ECTA~Ohio (TR) / TredwayStubbs Racing
264 ECTA~Maxton SGR
259.9 Texas Mile SGR & Mr Turbo
265 LTA Loring 09 SGR
277.9 Texas Mile Victoria Track Record
245.6 Texas Mile Beeville 2.0 Track Record
251.6 ECTA New Mexico Naked Track Record

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »

Sweet Fred Good Luck!  :tu:

I will not be racing but if anyone needs any help, parts, etc please don't hesitate to call!   :tu:
bummer but I can not find a room :cry:
Official Site Tuner
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
We have room for you in our room.
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
We have room for you in our room.

TeamFatAss approves of this message.
(pix please...)

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
got one the old America's best value now new name hotel.................
95.00 per night plus the new inflated hotel tax :td:
 this is getting real expensive I hope the track is fixed :bah:
Official Site Tuner
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »
Why did you do that?? :td:We have plenty of room, in our room. I dont snore as loud as you do. :hys:
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph