Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Thermostat mod  (Read 8132 times)

Offline 12Killa

• Rider
Thermostat mod
« on: December 12, 2002, 10:15:00 AM »
Does any 1 have the part number for the Honda thermostat that works in the Busa and has any 1 noticed the 2002 Busas run a temperature pretty soon while ridin in stop and go traffic ? My 2000 Busa temp would hardly move . Just wonderin .  
Silver &  Gray  2002

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Thermostat mod
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 10:17:00 AM »
It's not a thermostat, it's the coolant temp switch for the fan. I was supposed to post the part number, I FORGOT! I'll post it tonight when I get home. Sorry.
Thomas

THEMOTORHEAD

Thermostat mod
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 10:53:00 AM »
summit racing carries adjustable thermal switches for fans

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Thermostat mod
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 12:37:00 PM »
Ok, I went home from work to get the part number. This part bolts right in the stock Suzuki temp sensor for the fan, but it turns the fan on 10* C cooler. The only problem is it uses different connectors. You can either get the plug end from a wrecked Honda Accord, or do as I did. I took small female blade type connectors and spliced them into the stock wires (you have to cut off the Suzuki plug end). I then filled the well of the connector with silicone to keep vibration from being a factor. I also used the stock black "boot" to make it look like it came that way from the factory.

The part is from a Honda Accord, the part number is 37760-P00-003

This is courtesey of Peter Anderson from Anderson Turbo, he posted this part number quite awhile back.

I think cost was under $40
Thomas

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
Thermostat mod
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 12:45:00 PM »
what happens if you remove the thermostat?

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Thermostat mod
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 12:52:00 PM »
That has nothing to do with the fan switch temp sensor, but if you remove the thermostat you will

1) take longer to reach operating temp
2) probably run slightly cooler
Thomas

Offline ATLbusa

• Post Master
Thermostat mod
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 04:48:00 PM »
I thought alot of guys took out the thermostat when building the motor?  Is this true?

Offline BADZXELEVEN

• Post Whore
Thermostat mod
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 05:47:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ATLbusa:
I thought alot of guys took out the thermostat when building the motor?  Is this true?

Johnny found it to be true recently.
Don't know what happens in summer heat yet, tho.

suzuki4life

Thermostat mod
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 06:17:00 PM »
I would assume under summer's heat that the bike would run a MIN. of what the Thermostat is set at even if the fan was wired constant. Only way i would see this mod beneficial is if you found a cooler thermostat or just by removing it. Remember though, oil does have to warm to a certain temp for it to properly circulate and for the engine to run properly so you really don't want your bike to run too cool either.

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
Thermostat mod
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 06:38:00 PM »
Even when the environment is under 30 degrees, mine consistantly hits just below the middle line. If I sit for more than a minute, it rises above half and the fan activates.

I am thinking of removing the thermostat myself, considering it gets hot, even in cold weather.  

Thermostat mod
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 08:14:00 PM »
I took the center out of My thermostat. For performance reasons, that should actually work better.