Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Replacing plugs with screw in plugs for the oil galleys on the crankshaft  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
I want to remove the balls that are peened into the crank throws and replace them with screw in plugs.  I want to make sure that the crank is really clean inside and out.  You don't want to why.  It goes back 20 years.

Anyway, I have a junk crank that I popped one of the balls out.  The hole is already perfect for a 1/8-27 npt or a 10mm-1.25 tapped hole.  The problem is THIS SHIT IS HARD.

The question is, has anyone done this?  Were there any elegantly simple solutions or do I have to pony up and buy a cobalt or carbide tap.

Don't tell me to send it to someone.  That someone already had the crank and sent it back.  They did the needed repairs but failed to read the emails, packing list and the note that was rubber banded to the crankshaft to replace the balls with screw in plugs :|

I've got skills and a shop to match but I'm never afraid to ask.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline FlaminRoo

• Rider
Pony up an do it, i did, no problems,  :D,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle 200mph at Bonneville,,

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Already did.  Done deal, came out nice. 8)

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Jay

• Post Master
Two things
Be sure the screws are below the surface so you can stake the tops of the threads so they can't back out.. Second, when changing to screws, it does effect the balance of the crank.

Jay
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:38:20 PM by Jay »

Offline Competition CNC

• Rider
    • CompetitionCNC.com
Removing those balls is a must on a weld-up stroker crank in my opinion.  You cant run a bore brush threw the bores if you dont.
The grinding slurry gets in there and you cant really ever get it all out and the nitriding process can leave small extremely hard scaling in there.
A strong bore brushing will remove any crap.
The cranks are nitrided so the surface is very hard.  Use red locktite on the plugs and torque them tight.
We balance and straighten every crank to even tighter tolerances when it comes back from Marine.
All of our ZX-14 5mm stroker cranks cranks have the removable plugs.
We usually have several 5mm cranks and the 86mm and 87mm pistons for the 5mm stroker in stock.
Jim