Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Converting My Gen1 to a Gen2  (Read 36618 times)

Offline InlineR

• Rider
  • 2014 White Hot Denim V-Rod Muscle
Converting My Gen1 to a Gen2
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
This all started with a simple "tail conversion" and snowballed from there...

WARNING: This is only a guide to show you what I did, I will not be held responsible for anything you do because you read it here!!

First of all my frame was silver and my newly acquired swingarm looked like it had been painted in a sand storm..

so both went to powder coat for a flat satin black powder coat at Supreme Powder coating

Here is what you need to appear to be a Gen2:

• Complete body set w/tank
  • Lock set (ignition, tank and trunk)
  • Head light, Tail light
  • Ram air tubes
  • Front upper fairing stay
  • Rear subframe
  • Oil pan (not absolutely necessary but there are mounts to it)
  • Seats

that will get you looking like a Gen2, now youll need the following to run like a gen2

• Wire harness complete w/ front and rear harness's
  • O2 sensor Harness (oil sending unit plugs through it)
  • Airbox w/filter IAT and IAP (map sensor)
  • handle bar switches (gen1 wont work without heavy modification)
  • handle bars (gen1 bars line up different)
  • ECU
  • Instrument cluster
  • fuel sending unit w/pump
  • fuel hose (could make the gen1 work but might kink)
  • Throttle Bodies (w/injectors)
  • Cylinder Head w/valve cover (cam sensor) also note the thermostat housing is different and line from housing is smaller in diameter
  • Stator w/rotor (flywheel) cover is the same.
  • Gear position switch (gen1 doesn't work consistently, gen2 is peg in hole style)
  • rear brake light switch (gen1 is different wont plug into harness without wiring)
  • throttle cables
  • front end (forks triples ignition etc)
  • wheels
  • swingarm
  • front and rear calipers
  • Radiator w/hoses
  • Oil cooler w/lines
  • Oil cooler surround
  • Rectifier (forget bracket it will not bolt to gen1 frame)

Re-used parts:
  • clutch and brake master
  • kickstand and switch
  • speed indicator
  • oil pressure sending unit

you can cut these 3 pieces from the bottom of your frame you'll no longer need them and it will give you clearance to go even lower. (cut only the pieces my fingers and thumb are touching!!)

that's all I can think of now Ill add some pics later once I've completed the transformation.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:32:55 PM by InlineR »
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline Dan.J

• Post Master
Re: Converting My Gen1 to a Gen2
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »
Cool, been thinking on changing over my bodywork to Gen2 stuff as well......if I keep the bike that is. May just sell it and build a new one. Im in Michigan as well, know anyone looking (seriously) for a turbo streetbike for a decent price?May even consider some trades.

06 Busa......8 second street bike.(Sold but missed)

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
It's been an eye opening experience.. but all in all I've dealt with pretty straight forward people.. except one guy still havent got a starter....

As for your bike, hell I dont know anyone with enough cheddar to even make you a decent offer..
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
Here are some pics from today dont mind the garage she's a work in progress

I might have a clearance issue...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:58:04 PM by InlineR »

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
updated the first post with more new info Ill keep updating as I get deeper into it.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
You will also need wither GEN2 intake cac, or an offset pin and gen2 bearings for a GEN1 intake cam.

The crank rotor and stator from a GEN1 can be used if you remove 1 additional tooth on the crank trigger wheel to make it a 24-2 rather than a stock gen1 24-1.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
yea I got a set of gen2 cams with my head forgot to put that in the original thread thanks for the addition.

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
Ordered the woolich racing log box and a zeitronix zt-3 wideband so I can do some auto tunning.

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
  • Who doesn't love a wet pussy... Cat?
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
Ordered the woolich racing log box and a zeitronix zt-3 wideband so I can do some auto tunning.

Curious about your Woolich/Zeitronix setup you're going with. Is it truly autotuning? Both units appear to do the same thing. Can you enlighten me?
2003 Katana 7/12: Daily Rider
2006 Busa: "Thing 3", 1430+cc weekend bike
Suzuki GSXR 750 (multiple years): Track bike
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:38:33 AM »

Curious about your Woolich/Zeitronix setup you're going with. Is it truly autotuning? Both units appear to do the same thing. Can you enlighten me?
The log box records data that can be imported into ECU Editor for processing into a tuning file. The Zetronix is a wideband )2 sensor / controller to determine the air fuel ratio. Output from the O2 goes into the Logbox. It is not a closed loop system, rather a system that will suggets modifications to the maps.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »
The log box records data that can be imported into ECU Editor for processing into a tuning file. The Zetronix is a wideband )2 sensor / controller to determine the air fuel ratio. Output from the O2 goes into the Logbox. It is not a closed loop system, rather a system that will suggets modifications to the maps.

what he said, ill let this fine tune my map for idle and partial throttle response.

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
  • Who doesn't love a wet pussy... Cat?
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »

what he said, ill let this fine tune my map for idle and partial throttle response.
Thanks guys!
2003 Katana 7/12: Daily Rider
2006 Busa: "Thing 3", 1430+cc weekend bike
Suzuki GSXR 750 (multiple years): Track bike
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
I got the Zietronix ZT-3 in the mail this week it looks like a quality unit however the cable that connects the sensor to the box is 10' long.... (its in a nice water proof shield with wire loom as well) I've sent them an email about getting a shorter one made for us motorcycle guys.

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
log box will be here tomorrow Ive got it all together and running however my thermostat to radiator small coolant line burst on me today so Im going to have to redo that... pics tomorrow.

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:31:25 AM »
The bike is finished (for now).. here is a pic straight out of the garage

and a short video of her running

I've got the new thermostat housing and line installed (thanks John aka motorcitybusa) and refilled with Engine Ice the bike runs great I feel that the throttle response is a great deal better. It's definitely got more grunt but I can't say its not the 1397 cylinders..

I bought a ytz14s 230 CCA battery to try and tame the 1397 while hot but that's a no go so I installed a 24v starting system which is working well. (once I charged the second battery..)

On a side note I bought a gen2 oil pan which has two outer mounting points for the plastics to 'snap' into however upon mounting it I realized that the stock gen1 oil sending unit is directly in the way of the right side mount. I took a look at a gen2 and the sending unit has been reoriented to a 45 degree angle instead of straight down so I went and got a 45 brass fitting with the correct threads and used that but still had to trim the mount to go around it. I'm guessing a 90 would work as well.

thats it for now more tunning and track time to come soon!

Offline mysticblu999

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • turbohead
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »
Looks great. Anyway to make the gen 2 cluster work on gen 1 electronics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
2007 Hayabusa Super Ultra (in progress)    
2013 Hayabusa Limited (on order)
2008 RM250 (for jumping stuff)

Super Ultra build thread http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=160376.new#new

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:55:01 AM »
No, from all my research the input voltages are different, also no gear indicator present.. there are a lot of benefits going to gen2, gear indicator is nice, more codes to narrow down and problems and the fueling system in my opinion is better as well.

Offline QTHEBEAST

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 06:19:13 AM »
 :tu:Thanks for the info....

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
well the 1397 Gen1 engine with stock Gen2 head and stock Gen2 cams put down 185 hp at a dyno competition last weekend. Im happy with the numbers but I wish I would have done the head and cams like I wanted to..

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
Very nice, Randy. All the hard work paid off in spades. Looks great!  :tu:

Did you keep the rectifier in the tail per Gen 1? 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:23:48 PM by Cookie »
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
Can you show a pic of the gauges in the plastic? A lot of Dremel time to make fit?

Looks great. Anyway to make the gen 2 cluster work on gen 1 electronics?

BTW, the complete change-over is to go to the Gen II ECM/Harness and all associated sensors. But then, it is a can`o worms where the throttle-bodies, gps, stator etc., etc., have to follow just to pNp the gauge cluster.

So, with that, you can see that the Dremel or shoehorn is easier.
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 05:57:27 AM »
Well Chris, thats what I did.. basically all thats left of my 01 is the frame and lower half of the engine. new cylinders, pistons, 08 head 08 TBs 08 ecm harness various sensors etc etc

If anyone has any questions on this conversion I should know the answer.  :tu:

as for the rectifier.. Im using the Tiger racing second battery box in the tail, so using the adams rectifier mount on that side is not possible. I mounted the rectifier on the bottom of my tiger tail right under the battery, I have no top box on my arm so there's plenty of clearance
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:01:19 AM by InlineR »

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
Ive been thinking of converting mine alot lately.

Not sure if I just want the looks or do the whole shabang

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Ive been thinking of converting mine alot lately.

Not sure if I just want the looks or do the whole shabang

well I love the new power and throttle response my buddy drove it home one day while his bike was at my garage and was very surprised at the part throttle tuning and smoothness of it..

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
I picked up a body set w tank a headlights, harness and an ecu so far...   was hoping that I could use this setup for the turbo with gen1 motor.  aparently It can be done with a few mods hope to have time soon to look more into it.
still need subframe and taillights  I have one project almost done before I can go to far into this one...