Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: nitrous bottle valves, 2 lb  (Read 11347 times)

Offline dave393

• Rider
  • southcentral MN
nitrous bottle valves, 2 lb
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »
I am having problems with valves that leak to often, 2 lb and 2-1/2 lb bottles. 3/4"- 16 t.p.i. valve thread.

anybody got suggestions.
Interstate Junction Motorcycles ,Minnesota .
 Ward Performance Head and cams 445/415

New Best 1/8 mile  4.90 et  152 mph , 7.54, 184.77

Offline gixxre750

• Rider
Re: nitrous bottle valves, 2 lb
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »
Ive tried damn near every brand out there, and I DO NOT over tighten them.  I cant get a full season without leakage.  I hand tighten them, it starts to leak, tighten it a little more til it stops leaking, and it will eventually get to the point to no matter how tight it will leak.  They are just made $hitty compared to the bigger valves that use the garden hose style valve imo

Offline dave393

• Rider
  • southcentral MN
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
thats about what my thoughts are also. i have a 10 lb tank that has never been a problem.

Offline JC_Biggs

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:40 PM »
id tell you to buy a WON bottle valve that would be guaranteed to flow better, last longer, resist breakage, and include an SPRV, but everyone would assume i was just nut riding and not recommending a good product..

sorry.. dont know what to tell ya

:hys: :hys:

ok.. no real talk..  its really a good product.. worth every penny.

video where they dropped a weight on it from 8 feet and the weight bounced.. http://www.noswizard.com/videos/Valve%20drop%20test.wmv

sprv video http://www.noswizard.com/videos/SPRV%20Vs%20BOD%20last.wmv

http://www.noswizard.com/index.php/nitrous-ancillaries/nitrous-components/nitrous-bottle-valves-related/maxflow-nitrous-bottle-valve-616.html 

MaxFlow bottle valve ( to suit U.S. Spec bottle threads )

The WON MaxFlow valve offers numerous unique advantages over all other brands of bottle valves, as listed below.

Features;

Lifetime guarantee – we’ve made our valve to such high standards that we’ve given it the WON lifetime guarantee, so you’ll never have to buy a replacement valve due to it wearing out, as all other valves do in a very short space of time.
    CNC machined aircraft quality billet alloy valve body.
    Unbreakable billet alloy hand wheel
    Unbreakable 13mm stainless steel main stem
    Wear resistant internals (PTFE coated) for ultra long life
    Light weight up to 50% lighter than other brands.
    Radial discharge port for ultra high flow capacity
    Compact aesthetic design.
    High lustre, high quality anodised finish.
    Ultra high safety, fitted with our UNIQUE safe Pressure Relief Valve SPRV rather than a basic rupture disc, as fitted to all other valves.
    Dual sealed alloy siphon tube for consistent liquid delivery, rather than gaseous liquid due to leaks at the tube joint.

Outlet fitting size options available;

4AN male
    6AN male
    5mm female
    1/8 BSP male.

All MaxFlow valves are fitted with our unique SPRV (Safety Pressure Release Valve), which releases ONLY the excess gas pressure to maintain optimum bottle pressure. The SPRV is user adjustable to suit either your safety requirements or your race gas pressure requirements. This means that nitrous isn't wasted unnecessarily and potential engine damage is avoided, because the pressure is kept below the level at which it becomes dangerous and that your race results will be 100% consistent.

All other brands of valves are supplied with blow off discs, which rupture releasing and wasting ALL the valuable nitrous contents, in the event that the pressure reaches a certain extreme level. Unfortunately this usually happens too late to prevent the nitrous/fuel mixture becoming dangerously lean (increase pressure = increase in nitrous flow, whilst the fuel flow remains unchanged), resulting in engine damage.

All generic valves are prone to internal seizures and the main stem/hand wheel breaking off (when knocked), so although they may initially cost less, in the long term they will cost much more than a MaxFlow valve.

"ALL PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO VAT INSIDE THE EU ZONE"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:41:31 PM by JC_Biggs »

Offline dave393

• Rider
  • southcentral MN
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
that is nice valve, are they available in the usa?

Offline JC_Biggs

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
you can have one in about 5 days. unless cecil has some on hand.  you will have to call HTP and ask. he does make them for  US bottles. They flow a little more  so if you get one,   check ur plugs. it shouldn't throw it off much but it will move it a little.

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
Noswizard valve looks good especially considering you will never have to replace the burst disk.  The price isn't horrible, I get $147 USD using current conversions.

However, what I see with the valves failing isn't the valves themselves, it's the crappy nitrous that we are getting.  My valves internals get coated over with a yellow powder and then they stop sealing.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline JC_Biggs

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
thats sulphur they put in non medical grade nitrous. usually it doesnt cause to much of a problem, but if you can see it.. clean it

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
thats sulphur they put in non medical grade nitrous. usually it doesnt cause to much of a problem, but if you can see it.. clean it

The problem is that the sulfur (or whatever that is) gums up the valve plunger seal and you have to crank it down tighter and tighter to get a good seal.  Because of the type of racing I do, I don't run my bottles much lower than 1 lb and I only purge them in the winter.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline dave393

• Rider
  • southcentral MN
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
the crusty stuff looks like yellow and greenish. i think the green is condensation from purging or disconnecting lines?

Offline JC_Biggs

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
the green is  still the sulfur. it turns green when it oxidizes and starts to corroded. not really any way around it unless you can get medical grade nitrous. or even food grade has less sulphur. stupid law to protect people from them selves...

Offline JC_Biggs

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
btw. if you go with WON make sure to tell them you want the max valve for an inverted bottle. its a little different IIRC

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
It's a great shame you guys have to use nitrous with sulphur dioxide added, as it certainly doesn't help in any way.

Cecil Towner has been using our valves for about 4 or 5 years now (he'd NEVER use any other now) and he has to use the same junk nitrous, yet he's had NO failures at all.

Our valves are made from UNIQUE and better materials, than ALL other companies use and one of the features of a key component/material, is that it's NON-STICK!!!  This would stop ANYTHING building up on the key component and probably explains why Cecil has had YEARS of TROUBLEFREE use.

BTW ALL our valves (car and bike use), just like ALL our Pulsoids, etc. are designed and manufactured to the same extremely high standards.   :thumb: 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:47:57 PM by Noswizard »

Offline gixxre750

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
I dont think its the sulfur.  I use medical grade and still have a problem with them leaking

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
I dont think its the sulfur.  I use medical grade and still have a problem with them leaking
That wouldn't surprise me and it could just be a simple case of oxidisation of the internal components, due to the materials used being unsuitable, as nitrous is a very powerful oxidiser, otherwise it wouldn't be much use to us.

We've tested 99% of US brand nitrous products but one of the few components we haven't tested, are the valves you are all having problems with, so I can't give any personal definitive analysis of the product.

HOWEVER, what I can say is what I've been told by Cecil and a number of our other US customers and they ALL say the valves are TOTAL JUNK, which are lucky to last 3 months before needing to be replaced. 

Offline JC_Biggs

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
ive been through a bunch of valves too, they get to a point where it feels like they are sticking, you break them free a couple times and they are done.  sometimes you can get away with really cranking them down tight then opening them back up but it ususually only works for a little while. the good thing about aluminum vs stainless, is 1 it can be anodized, but 2 if it does start to corrode, it forms a self preserving layer of protection. no other metals do that that i know of.

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
All the US valves that I'm aware of are brass (some are chrome plated over that externally) and all the internals are bare brass. Bare brass will oxidise and it turns green in the process, so the green colour some guys are seeing is the brass oxidising.

Offline gixxre750

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
its the plunger seal (think thats what its called) that wears out.

Offline SLEEPERBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »
So, what pressure to the valve pay off at?
If the customer uses his bottle upside down, he just orders it without a siphon tube?
208.6mph/ Texas Mile. 10/24/2010

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
So, what pressure to the valve pay off at?
I assume you mean what pressure does the Safe Pressure Relief Valve (SPRV), bleed off at and if so, the answer is that it's user adjustable to whatever you want but it's set at approx 1,500 psi from the factory.
It's yet to be appreciated by most people but set correctly, the SPRV can ENSURE constant and repeatable launch/run bottle pressure AUTOMATICALLY.
This is obviously in addition to the MUCH GREATER SAFETY the SPRV provides.

If the customer uses his bottle upside down, he just orders it without a siphon tube?
No, JUST removing or not fitting a tube is;
1) A bad idea for system/component reliability
2) Not the best for performance

The valves we offer for inverted bottle (RACE spec), use have a SHORT siphon tube with a fully formed intake trumpet for the following reasons;
1) Without a tube at all, any dirt/debris that gets in to the bottle (when being filled), would fall to the valve end and almost certainly flow through the system - by adding a short siphon tube the risk of the debris getting out of the bottle is greatly reduced.

2) By adding a fully formed trumpet to the tube, there's no longer any turbulence so the nitrous flow is MUCH SMOOTHER and as a consequence the flow through the entire system is better, smoother, higher and faster, JUST AS AIR FLOW in to an engine is MUCH IMPROVED by adding intake trumpets to entry of each runner.

link removed

On a side note to inverted bottle use, I fitted my VERY FIRST nitrous bike (35 YEARS AGO), with an inverted bottle and I've strongly advocated inverted bottle use ever since. Cecil is one of my recent converts that's been added to the growing number of other American customers, who have made the switch to our UNIQUE products and technology. 
  :tu:     
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:24:01 PM by ADMIN »