Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Your Dyno results with VP U4.4?  (Read 9275 times)

Offline Daveeed

• Rider
Your Dyno results with VP U4.4?
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
Hey all!
I'm curious if anyone has dynoed with / without VP U4.4 and what the result was?
I'm heading back to the dyno (Fireman Jim @ JT&S in Sonoma) on Friday to hack and tune a 32 bit swap on my 99 busa, gettn ready for Mojave. I normally run Chevron premium. I plan on bringing 5gal of VP U4.4 with me. VP claims up to 6% hp increase, however I don't expect it. If U4.4 yields a hp increase I'll setup a dual map to I can run VP U4.4 whenever I'm at the track.

I'm currently running a basic built motor... Ward head, web intake and stock intake on ex set at 106/106, and 1397 kit with "off the shelf" CP 13.1/1 pistons. 1st we will tune with Chevron premium, then drain the tank and tune with the VP U4.4
My current 16 bit setup yielded 205hp / 124 lb. and I ran 207mph at Mojave Magnum running 18/39 gearing, limited to 10,800rpm.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Daveeed
Walnut Creek, Ca.
Tonsil Cancer Survivor: (HPV-16... go figure)
I race to make my soul smile, not to dismantle yours
Mojave Mile: 207 mph
Mojave Magnum: 209 mph
Bonneville: 200.5 mph
Bub RWB: 194.5 mph (Unacclaimed Champion!)
1397/JE13.5-1/Ward head/Web 415-395
Tuner: Fireman Jim @ JT&S Performance, Sonoma

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Your Dyno results with VP U4.4?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
Chevron is certainly the absolute best pump gas available, and i'm not partial just bc i have 34 years working for Chevron  :hys:

Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
 :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Daveeed

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
My results from yesterdays dyno session with fireman Jim at JTE Performance in Sonoma was rewarding. However using VP U4.4 did not produce a reasonable improvement from a cost perspective in my opinion.
Jim completed tuning two separate changes that were tuned one at a time.
First Jim tuned my 99 busa after I swaped in a 32 bit ign. (was a 16 bit). Jim picked up ~10 hp which was attributed to raising the RPM limit to 11,600rpm although we picked up >1 ... < 2 hp along the entire graph. The baseline run produced 205 hp 124 lb, and the completed tune produced 215hp using chevron premium with the air cleaner installed.
At that point we drained the tank and refilled with fresh VP U4.4. I was surprised to see the air / fuel ratio on the entire curve to be rich. Because U4.4 is oxygenated and the VP U4.4 pamphlet said to possibly add fuel (+2 main jet size) I expected to see leaner air fuel ratio. After tweaking the map for air/fuel and timing we saw >1 ... < 2 hp increase, which in my book ain't worth $100 for a 5 gal can. Possibly using a fuel with a lower octane would produce a better result for my setup.
For now Chevron Premium remains to be the best fuel for my current engine setup.

Daveeed
Walnut Creek, Ca.
Tonsil Cancer Survivor: (HPV-16... go figure)
I race to make my soul smile, not to dismantle yours
Mojave Mile: 207 mph
Mojave Magnum: 209 mph
Bonneville: 200.5 mph
Bub RWB: 194.5 mph (Unacclaimed Champion!)
1397/JE13.5-1/Ward head/Web 415-395
Tuner: Fireman Jim @ JT&S Performance, Sonoma

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:09 PM »
I have never liked the U4. Whatever the new improved number is fuel. MR12 or MRX01 only
Official Site Tuner
Builder and tuner of some of the FASTEST motorcycle in the world
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
Yea we never saw much with U4 or U4.4. Typically 1-3hp even with a tune. MR9 we use to get about 4-5hp with a tune. MR12 has netted the most with barely 7hp with a tune. This is on a 155hp stock Hayabusa. One note though we are at 5300' altitude so the increase is more than likely going to be better at or near sea level. The cost is too much for me so I don't run MR12 anymore because of it.

Offline pasodude

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
Thanks firemanjim ! & jte performance ! I'm using erc mul/b fuel , its bonnieville approved for gas class. :tu:

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
On my Gen II we tuned it with ERC MUL/B vs. some 89 octane non-ethanol fuel that I got from Cenex (think Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply) and the 89 made 3-4 Hp more than the ERC. While I won't run an 89 on the street due to lugging and heat, I do use 92 from the same folks so I would expect close to the same power output. It is interesting what an extra $8.00 a gallon buys you these days.  While I understand why it makes less power on a lower compression N/A engine, it is the spec fuel for BUB in the gasoline classes so it is what it is.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
e-85 all the way! Cheaper more power bike runs cooler!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline pasodude

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
Hi mike (mj) what r u doing 2 your bike this year ? On the e-85 , I like to try some,what's a good % added 2 base fuel map?thanks :bike:

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
Hi mike (mj) what r u doing 2 your bike this year ? On the e-85 , I like to try some,what's a good % added 2 base fuel map?thanks :bike:

You will likely need larger injectors to even try it. +30% is a rough figure and will make the bike movable around your driveway but i would immediately hit a dyno to have it dialed in. it isn't exactly a plug & go swap unless you have a wideband and are experienced with tuning.

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
Jeff hows things? Don't really have anything new this year, going to stay with what I have but spend more time and effort in the sweating the details. My secret weapon this year will be to bring an umbrella rated for 200mph after last year.
Was hoping to meet you and Tom Krause at Mohave in April so you guys could hand me my ass but you will have to wait for BUB and the October Mohave for that privilege.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline pasodude

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
Sounds good (mj) big mike ! Now we got to talk tom & karen into coming to bub! Have call & talk 2 them after last years meet,they were shock went they found out u & I meet,told me some good old racers story & dads story ! C u on the salt big guy !

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
They are good people, I try not to hold the fact he is a Kawasaki guy against him.