Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Nitrous Question  (Read 5482 times)

Offline DenisTheMenace

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Nitrous Question
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
I have a 2008 Hayabusa with a small shot of nitrous (40) The bike was tuned by previous owner at Schnitz and ive changed up few things since then, exhaust and filter biggest changes. My bike is set up through ecu editor and nitrous comes on at 6500 at 100% in every gear. I used to feel the "kick" when the nitrous would come on but now i dont, my bottle pressure is around 800, what im getting at is what should the bottle pressure be for nitrous to work 100%? I know its activating because the "test" mode in ecu editor allows me to hear it spray into the airbox when the bike is off.

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
Re: Nitrous Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
"Normally" 900 psi .   I tune with it a little higher because I don't want folks get to a hot track and run lean. 
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 06:16:48 AM »
960 psi is said to be the optimum start pressure for nitrous but unless you have a very small power setting you should still feel it working, albeit not quite as strong at 800 psi.

Have you checked the bottle is mounted correctly to deliver LIQUID nitrous and have you checked the filter, as it could be restricted.

It' s also worth checking spark strength and plug gaps, especially if you've fitted bigger jets or new plugs.

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »
960 psi is said to be the optimum start pressure for nitrous but unless you have a very small power setting you should still feel it working, albeit not quite as strong at 800 psi.

Now that is good to know.  I've wondered why there is a bigger increase (change) in HP going from 900-950 that any other 50 psi change.
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
Although I've been working with and experimenting with nitrous for 35 years, I've no hard facts to prove that 960 psi 'IS' the optimum pressure (which is why I used the term "it is said" as that's been the general consensus), as it's never been a major concern to find out what the 'exact' optimum pressure is, because I've yet to have a customer need more power than we can make at 'any' pressure.

Furthermore, although 960 may be the optimum the way nitrous kits are currently used, there would be benefits to using nitrous at much lower pressures when used appropriately.

One thing that is certainly important is to MAINTAIN A CONSTANT pressure (or at least as close to constant as possible), as ANY drop in pressure screws up everything by the degree of drop.

The best way to do that is to heat soak the bottle before use and in extreme cases when EVERYTHING ELSE has been optimised, add nitrogen boost or better still upgrade to a WON REVO system, as that SELF COMPENSATES to maintain a constant FLOW DELIVERY regardless of bottle pressure changes.  :tu:

Offline DenisTheMenace

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »
I mount my bottle up right, im not sure if theres a tube inside of my bottle or not, not sure how to open it to find out. at times i feel the nitrous come on and at times i feel nothing. ill throw the bottle heater on there and make sure i get it to the 950-1000 mark and see what happens.

Thanks everybody,

Offline SLEEPERBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
Call the previous owner and see if he removed the tube. If you can't, or he doesn't know, that baby has to come apart, for piece of mind. I would have to visualize it.
208.6mph/ Texas Mile. 10/24/2010

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
There's a very simple way to determine the correct way to mount the bottle, without needing to remove the valve;

1) Make sure you have a full bottle.

2) PARTIALLY turn on the valve with the bottle in the upright position.

3) With the bottle still flowing nitrous turn the bottle upside down.

4) The correct way to mount the bottle is whichever way the nitrous flow is most obvious.