Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Need help getting started......  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

• Post Whore
Need help getting started......
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
Firstly I have ZERO experience with NOS systems......

I have a 1507 motor, completely built with the intent of using NOS (big megacycle cams, carrillo rods, pistons and all other work done.....).

The head is drilled with provisions for wet....

-I am looking for advice on a NOS system, designed to run at Bonneville for 2-3 miles WOT.
-Reliability is the most important factor, the cost to do it right.....not so much of a factor.
-Hoping for 75-125 hp gain over the 245 the 1507 is making.
-would like something that comes on easier without blowing the tires away on the salt.

Any advice on kits, controllers, things to say away from or should look for.....

Thanks for any advice!

~JH

02 BL/BLK
Garrett T28@7psi

Busa pwrd Bonneville car 208 mph+
2X world record holder
NA motor: 1507cc
Fastest 1.5L NA door slammer in the world

Offline STREETDRAG

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Re: Need help getting started......
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »
Your mph is averaged over a few different points of the course or is mph only recorded in a section of the course?

Reason for question is nitrous use over a 2-3 mile run is gonna take some special setting up in stages, timing control and fueling if averaged.

If mph and time recorded is only over a section of course it will be easier to setup, cause you only leaning on it for a set length of space and period of time.

The true thing is knowing the true specs on your motor, and what it will take. What the fueling system can handle, how to apply it for your application and not guessing..Money and how fast you really want to go come second, but will dictate complexity of your setup..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:14:45 AM by STREETDRAG »

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
Re: Need help getting started......
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
JNuts, are you sure you want to run N20 at Bonneville?  Did you get any info or are you still researching?
We ran N20 on the ZX-7, ZX-10 and the ZX11 motors in the lakester.  When I went 228 with the lakester we were running a little over 100 HP added.  Now I base that on the premise that 1 lb per minute is 10 HP.  I held the button for 52 seconds and used just under 10 lbs of N20.  No controllers were available back then (90s) when we set up the system.  I don't think you will blow the tires off of the car with a set up that will start with all 100.  We had probably a second of spin, hit the button about 5-6K in third gear, between the 1 and the 2.
There are some controllers out there but they shut down in 20 seconds.  I heard one of them could be disabled... I bought a 3 dial but found it would only run about 20 seconds.... not long enough.
The best advice is buy selenoids large enough to not freeze open when you run it.  It really sucks when the release the button and the gas shuts down but the N20 keeps flowing.  Test... test... test.

PM me here or on Landracing if you want to chat aout this stuff... I have thousands of dollars of N20 experience... Sorry didn't see this thread or we could have talked at the NW reunion.
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000