Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Charlie's car  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • A Busa W/ training wheels
    • Function First Motorsports
Charlie's car
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
I have been lurking for some time but it is time for me to chime in.
Back in 2003 I built this Busa powered car for track events and hillclimbs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:46:27 PM by Charlie N »
Regards,
Charlie North
If It aint broke, Modify it!
faster, Faster, FASTER, Over the hill and accelerating.
Turbo Busa in a little car

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
Re: Charlie's car
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
Looks like I can not post pictures yet. I have plenty to post once I can.
The first season I ran the car NA, it was a hoot, not having ridden a Busa I can only imagine what they are like since the engine in a light car is quite impressive.
Probably best till I can post pictures is to link to my site where a fair bit of info is.
http://ffmsd.com/projects/tube/other1/

In 2004 I installed a turbo. Damn nice setup but it is time to do more development and loose the Power Commander.
At this time the engine is still stock, not even lowered the compression and running 11# boost. This needs to be addressed and I will be asking a few questions soon.
At this time I am planning for a major change in this project and building a new 2 seat chassis with a classic look to it. The body will be from an Elva Mk7.
I will post pictures once I can.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:44:31 AM by Training Wheels »
Regards,
Charlie North

Online ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »
Looks like I can not post pictures yet. I have plenty to post once I can.

10 posts, you can do it! Welcome to the site :D
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »
Gee, I only used to make them wait 3 posts on the 4 sites I host :D
ahh I can't even sneak a smiley in.
Regards,
Charlie North

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
Here is my original installation with the NA engine.

Ahh I got a picture in, I thought I could.
I then installed the turbo and dry sump oil system

That picture was taken when on the dyno setting up the PC2
Another shot on the dyno way back in 2004, looks odd with the empty wing mount

I apologize for posting pictures before my 10 posts are up.
Regards,
Charlie North

Offline Mike-Nightrider

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »
Nice project and welcome  :tu:
Dragraceteam NIGHTRIDER
1/8: 5.101s..........1/4: 7.801s
227.7mph Woodbridge/GB 2013

Offline Lumpasaurus

• Rider
Charlie's car
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:25 AM »
Very cool.  I see you are from Vt, I'm in Lake George, NY, where do you run it ?

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »
Very cool.  I see you are from Vt, I'm in Lake George, NY, where do you run it ?

I am not far from you, just off Rt103 south of Rutland, right near the trestle if you are familiar with that on the way to Ludlow.
We have a hillclimb series here running Bikes and cars up the accessed roads in state parks and ski areas.
We also rent the gocart track SLMP, Saint Laurence motorsport track up in Morristown, NY. That is where the picture in my first post was shot.
One issue I have run into with many clubs running road courses here in the north east are they do not want fast single seaters running with them. It does not fit in anywhere for racing. I have been giving thought to building a full fender body for it. Not an easy task to incorporate the existing under car aerodynamics into a full fender car. J

For well more than a decade I have been searching for some molds for the Elva Mk7 body. There are more than one set out there.
Recently I got lucky in my search to find someone who will build a body and I have ordered a set which I should have in hand end of October.

I will build a new chassis and utilize most all of the components from the existing car. The Elva Mk7 was produced in 1963-64 and commonly sell today at prices from $75,000 to 200,000+, they were powered at first by 1600 Twin cam Fords, then commonly BMW 1600 as well as 19 cars made with the 4 cam 4cyl Porsche. In 1965 the 2.0 BMW was common and the car stretched for larger tires, this was called the Mk8.

Mine will be 300+ Hp sub 900# weight. Modern aero underbody. The chassis will be up to current safety and performance standards.
When the body arrives I will undertake the final design drawing and can start the fabrication.
Here is what an Elva Mk7 looks like,
Regards,
Charlie North

Offline Lumpasaurus

• Rider
Charlie's car
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:27 AM »
Wicked cool.  So you bent the tubes and built the chassis from scratch?   That must be a rush.  Let me know when the next time you take it out is.  I didn't know they did that around here. 

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
Yes the chassis was built from scratch as well as all of the suspension components excepting the rear hub flanges and the brake calipers. The uprights diff mounting and front hubs are all machined from aluminum.
Regards,
Charlie North

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
I forgot to answer, excepting for running a customer's Mustang over at NH raceway in a few weeks I will be done driving till late spring.
I will be building the new Busa powered 2 seater this winter and not sure when completion will be.
Regards,
Charlie North

Offline Lumpasaurus

• Rider
Charlie's car
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
Very impressive.  Your skills are awesome.  Love when people do all the work themselves.  Any one with plastic can buy cool stuff, not many can, cut, weld, bend and form it from scratch.   I use to road race at Louden, then NHIS, Bridgehampton, etc,   I would love to try a hill climb if it was not to unsafe if you unload.  My buddies go to NJ and will not go back to NH.

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »
Thank you,
I had run both bikes and cars at Loudon, I have no love for the walls on the new track. I never ran the Bridge at speed but have been there many times supporting customers.
I have not ventured down to either Lightning or Thunder, the tracks look nice it is just a long haul and I really prefer to travel to the Glen and am looking forward to running on Mid Ohio, I am getting tired to standing on pit wall supporting customers.
I have driven very little the past 6 years. I injured a hip and shoulder skiing and the healing has been slow. A month ago at the Ascutney hillclimb I made a few runs in my AWD converted Mitsu Mirage. I spent most of the weekend working the event being it was the first Hillclimb hosted by Max BMW. This event was the first of a major change that we will be offering a variety of track and hillclimbs for both cars and bikes. Damn cool events. The combining of bikes and cars brings out a great fun attitude for everyone.
At the hills for the past few years we have restricted the entry's to Motard style bikes but this past one under our own rules we experimented with Vintage sidecars and had a BMW 1000RR running which Max now has 220hp at the wheel. Great for me to see running since I am a has been for running road race bikes, back in the 70hp days.

Our hills are quite technical, if you have been up Okemo,s road you will understand we are running amongst the rocks & trees. Normally the bikes expend energy quickly when the go down but you can get off the road which is not always good.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:24:44 AM by Charlie N »
Regards,
Charlie North

Offline Charlie N

• Apprentice Post Whore
Re: Charlie's car Called ElleVa 7
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
The past half year has been busy for me but I have had a few weeks to pick away at the build on my new car.
Well I have achieved a major goal with this project and here are some pictures of what I have achieved.

Last week I got the car on the ground and set the body in place,

And a shot from the rear,

Here is a shot of the rear suspension, the chassis at this point has about 80% of the tubes in it, still allot of bracing to be done.

I then lifted the car up to install the engine, with this car you set the chassis over the engine rather than set the engine in the car, This engine is a 2002 Busa.

A few days after setting the chassis on the ground the sun came out for a few hours and dried the grass enough I could roll the car outside for the first time, what a great feeling to get out of the cluttered shop for once.

I will start with a right front of the frame,

And a closer view,

And a side view of the rear section, you can see the belt drive for the dry sump pump in front of the engine.

And from the right rear,

Now a few pictures with the main body set in place outdoors,

And from the rear,

A slightly different rear shot,

And the left front,

More later,
Regards,
Charlie North