GENERAL > MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Fatalities in LSR

(1/67) > >>

RansomT:
I was a little hesitant to post anything else over on the other thread (out of respect), but I would like to continue the discussion here.

As Scott stated, there has been 5 fatalities in LSR since 2008 with no fatalities 50 years prior.  While actual speeds involved have not changed, something else has.

I was suited and in the staging lanes when 2 of those fatalities happened.  Plus, I had talked with Dave from Bonneville the morning of his fatal crash.  I have done some real soul searching and deep thought on what could be the common thread of all 3, and so far have come up with nothing.  One was his first LSR event, the other was his first mile event but had ran Bonneville, and one was as experienced as they come.

I still think that frequency of runs with “fast” bikes is part of it, but I wasn’t racing 50 years ago, so I don’t know how today compares.

Safety equipment, I don’t think so considering the pictures I’ve seen from Bonneville in the 60s.

Preparedness,  maybe?

Thoughts?

joea:
Ransom etal...

many folks want answers on many levels...emotionally, analytically etc

I think its important to grasp that there are specific reasons for each mishap which may
or may not be linked to others..

I also think that this would need to be broken down analytically to get clearer picture before
broad strokes applied to the answers..

it may be very beneficial to also stratify data from other "mishaps" that resulted in injuries and not death..as the
difference in mechanism of injury that resulted in survivable trauma to that resulting in death is likely very small given the greatly variable manner in which a rider impacts things...

in 50 + yrs how many sit on bike riders died on the salt..?...right around 0 ..?
in 10 yrs how many sit on bike riders died on pavement...?...
how many were decelerating .. ?...accelerating..?..how many on busas..?..

and the list goes on...

a spread sheet to take out some of the emotional impact on analysis may be very revealing..

Got-Busa?:
I don't have all the facts but I think Bonneville can't be compared with any other event. 

You are talking about a flat wide open area with very little to hit.  If you go down, you have the area to slide and hopefully not have as great of injuries. 

At a 1-mile or paved event you have a shorter course and more obstacles to hit when leaving the course.  Again, I don't know all the facts from each incident and wasn't present for any of them but it would be nice to get more info out so we can keep these things from happening.  Isn't the saying "it's not the speed but the sudden stop at the end"...

RansomT:
From the 2 that I witnessed, both ran off the track at the fast end without much slowing.

joea:
got busa others.."but it would be nice to get more info out so we can keep these things from happening"

if that is the goal, it might behove folks to consider motorcyce lsr mishaps and mechanisms of the accident somewhat
together...ie if it pans out that (as a made up example) busa chassis with forks lowered over 2 inches, x front tire specs
and rear ballast of Y has a high potential for front end oscillation and accompanying crash, it might be smart to look
at as much data as possible...

its somewhat amusing to me that "I don't have all the facts but I think Bonneville can't be compared with any other event"...

is mentioned here when most have no problem trying to group speed comparisons when the conditions regarding the venues have many differing variables, not only surface, but maintaining speed for 5280 ft timing trap (traditional world record requirement) vs 132 ft is quite different, , yet  im curious why if comparing those, folks dont also garner all the runs from 1/4 mile track trap speeds over200 mph as well..?....ie FIM/SCTA have a timing trap 40 times longer than that of 1 and 1.5 mile venues, yet many of the 200 + lists dont include 1/4 trap speeds that are only 2 times shorter than 1 and 1.5 venues ....more fodder...:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version