Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Engine won't start  (Read 18453 times)

Offline gixxted

• Rider
Re: Engine won't start
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:55 AM »
check all pins & connectors in ecu plugs, same for all injectors & coils,
 being a made up harness, a pin or socket may have backed out of place.  :id:

Offline Rossco

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 02:58:32 AM »
Not really the symptoms you described BUT might be worth checking the MAP sensor; Vac line still attached to it, IF there is a check valve on it to stop it seeing boost it could be stuck partially open, or it could be dying from seeing boost over a long period?
Does it clear up at all if you put some revs/load on it?

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
check all pins & connectors in ecu plugs, same for all injectors & coils,
 being a made up harness, a pin or socket may have backed out of place.  :id:

Yesterday I pulled the harness out of the car and am going through it wire by wire.  And replacing any but connectors with soder/heat shrink.

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
Not really the symptoms you described BUT might be worth checking the MAP sensor; Vac line still attached to it, IF there is a check valve on it to stop it seeing boost it could be stuck partially open, or it could be dying from seeing boost over a long period?
Does it clear up at all if you put some revs/load on it?

No it doesn't.

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
I have a Hayabusa friend in Portland,OR. A 3 hour drive from me.  Sat he put a new ECU in the mail for me to try.  I still haven't got it.  according to tracking The post office lost it and id didn't leave Portland until yesterday.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
so there's  ignition/spark, fuel, compression..then the all important timed ignition!!  and you have all of this?

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
Well the new ECU didn't help so i'm now thinking a possible short or bad connection in the wiring harness.

Offline STREETDRAG

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »
So you plugged new ecu in, tried starting it and it would still only start & run on two cylinders as it did before with old ecu?

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
Make sure the key is in the keyway on the end of the crank for the stator magnet

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »
Well I've dug a even bigger hole now.  I have screwed with this so much now I have nothing.  One problem I have is the harness is not stock, but a re-made harness by Down's Engineering for a car application eliminating all the lock out features.  Therefore some of the wires do not match the factory wiring diagram.  Plus I have never been happy with the wiring harness or the way the wires were run.

A bit about me.  I have been building hot rods and racing all my life.  I know a holly like the back of my hand.  (I also have a 427 AC Cobra.)  This is a piece of cake for me to tune.  But I am no Hayabusa expert nor do I know anything about elec fuel injection.  One problem I have is I live way out in the sticks, 3 hours from the nearest Hayabusa person that knows anything. So I have no one that can actually look at my wiring and help me sort it out.  So i'm throwing in the towel.  I'm going to re-wire the whole engine with the Microsquirt and start from scratch.   I have a friend here locally that has done several Megasquirt and Microsquirt installations and tunes and he claims it's a pretty good unit and fairly easy to install.  My dyno tune guy (3 hours away) also says he has dyno tuned several cars with Megasquirt's and they are good. 

What do you guys think?  Am I doing right ot just digging a deeper hole.
By the way, I really appriciate all the help you guys have giving me. 
If you want to see my Hayabusa powered car you can see it on my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lunatic-Racing/375620119162747

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »
know a guy that swears my microsquirt cheap easy and reliable stand alone!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
The microsquirt shouldn't be the issue as that does't work the 2nd inj until boost comes in.. Your having an issue with it just running,  It does have a piggyback inj system correct? You have to confirm the things i mentioned earlier.. spark, comp, fuel, TIMED ign.. which is the keyed rotor on the right side.. Please check that!  Nevermind went back and read 1st post.. so you only have 4 inj?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:39:10 AM by knecum »

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
The microsquirt shouldn't be the issue as that does't work the 2nd inj until boost comes in.. Your having an issue with it just running,  It does have a piggyback inj system correct? You have to confirm the things i mentioned earlier.. spark, comp, fuel, TIMED ign.. which is the keyed rotor on the right side.. Please check that!  Nevermind went back and read 1st post.. so you only have 4 inj?

I'll check the keyway today.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »
If it doesn't have a tip over, check the harness where it was, maybe the reisistor broke loose, or is it bypassed thru ecu..idk that you can do that.. but check.. if you don't know, call the guy who did the wiring!

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
If you remove the key switch don't you have to install a 100 ohm resistor in the harness to take the place of the key switch? I am not 100% sure of that comment perhaps someone can chime in and let me know.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »
If you remove the key switch don't you have to install a 100 ohm resistor in the harness to take the place of the key switch? I am not 100% sure of that comment perhaps someone can chime in and let me know.
..yes..so check that too!

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
I checked the keyed alternator rotor and it was good. 

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
So I give up.  I have checked and double checked everything I or others have suggested.  So yesterday I ordered a Microsquirt ECU.  And a new coil that works with the Microsquirt.

Anyone got a base line MAP I can down load to get me going?

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »
im pretty sure you can run the stock coils with the microsquirt
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
im pretty sure you can run the stock coils with the microsquirt

One of the two Hayabusa coil wires goes to ground.  The other wire goes to the ECU.  Megasquirt said this kind of coil would not work with their system.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »
You need to get some gauges so you cann see if there is any codes. Also didn't it have a microsquirt system on it?  if so it was working with the stock coils before so why all of the sudden they say they can't be used?  Just go bring it back to the guy who wired it!

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:42 AM »
No, ithas always had the stock ECU plus a Dyno Jet Power Commander 3.  The re-worked harness had the dash removed so there was no way to check codes.

Offline badapple

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • If it doesn't make it go faster, you don't need it
    • Aldrich Racing
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
I know this might seem a little odd, and late in the topic, but how much gas does/did it have in the tank, and how long has it been sitting before you ran it last?
Co-Driver of the #1907 Murray Racing Can-Am X-Team Maverick | Best In The Desert Racing Association & SCORE | UTV Pro Class

www.murrayracing.com

Former Pilot #7732 Zero Tolerance Racing '04 Busa L/E

Offline Lunatic

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
I know this might seem a little odd, and late in the topic, but how much gas does/did it have in the tank, and how long has it been sitting before you ran it last?

I always top the tank off every time I'm in the pits, and I did check the tank when I got back in and there was plenty of gas.  The gas was fresh.

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »
Have you checked that it is fully grounded?
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!