Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Metal shavings in pan?  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
Metal shavings in pan?
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
I have shavings in my oil pan on newly assembled engine, does this mean it has spun a bearing?

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Metal shavings in pan?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »
What color are the shavings?

Since you have the pan off, find someone who isn't a big ass dude like yourself Gary to look under and up into the engine at teh crank, you might see heat marks or damage on the rods.

Metal is never good, but who knows, the cam guide could have broken or something messed up with the clutch. Don;t get your hopes up to high on it being anything other than a bearing though.

Post a picture of the inside of the pan or the shavings or whatever.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
By the way, I think the only thing remaining of your old bike is the frame, forks, fairing stay, headlight, brakes, side fairings, and hand controls. Of those, I think the brake caliper and headlight might be the only thing that I didn't modify. I just started the new motor in it after trashing the original cases last fall with a broken rod.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
Gold in color, I'm pretty sure it's bearings but looking for a little glimmer of hope. I should have kept that bike it never gave me an ounce of trouble but this thing is killing me. Glad it went to you though because you have that thing moving! :tu:

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Pretty much bearings...not much doubt about it. You will need a new crank, at least one rod, maybe a piston and valves for the bad cylinder if the piston hit the head.

I'm hoping to have the bike on the dyno Saturday.

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
It spun the center main bearing! What would cause this? I would think the bearing clearance was too tight.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:46:19 AM »
How long did the bike run before it spun the bearing?

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
It ran about 20hours tops but I dont know exactly when it spun the bearing, I found out when i was changing the oil and ddropped the pan to check the pickup. It only spun it about 1/4 of an inch so I caught it early but it still left some brass on the crank journel. I dont think it was an oiling problem because the rod bearings are fine and the head had plenty of oil in it when I took it apart. Hard to say why but i'm guessing the bearing was on the tight side.

Offline mitch

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
sorry to hear that,i to found metal shavings in my motor,plus a little something else,made  my  first 2 passes this year 8th mile. second pass,motor died 3rd oil light lit ,coasted to stop,tow back,stuck  in trailer.got home,droped pipe,pulled pan,metal shavings,.then i looked up&saw something hanging out of the  pick up tube.IT WAS A FUCKING PAPER TOWEL.headed straight for the beer fridge,15 beers later i woke up  with a hangover,don,t even know who won the hockey  game.anyway back a few  months ago i had the whole clutch out,didn,t have a rag handy,so threw some paper towels in there,thought i got them all out when i put the clutch back in.well 1 of them must of fell threw that window&into the pan.man did i fuck up.pulled motor on sunday.crank junk ,no.3rod blue as my balls when i got my nuts cut,all rod bearings scarfed.every thing else okay... shit happens

Offline bouncer

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
sorry to hear that,i to found metal shavings in my motor,plus a little something else,made  my  first 2 passes this year 8th mile. second pass,motor died 3rd oil light lit ,coasted to stop,tow back,stuck  in trailer.got home,droped pipe,pulled pan,metal shavings,.then i looked up&saw something hanging out of the  pick up tube.IT WAS A FUCKING PAPER TOWEL.headed straight for the beer fridge,15 beers later i woke up  with a hangover,don,t even know who won the hockey  game.anyway back a few  months ago i had the whole clutch out,didn,t have a rag handy,so threw some paper towels in there,thought i got them all out when i put the clutch back in.well 1 of them must of fell threw that window&into the pan.man did i fuck up.pulled motor on sunday.crank junk ,no.3rod blue as my balls when i got my nuts cut,all rod bearings scarfed.every thing else okay... shit happens

Lol, Mitch you've got a way with words. Sucks! and sounds like something that would happen to me, but thanks for making me chuckle...

Offline mitch

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
oh yeah,had to straighten the old lady out,i told her to ouit buying those expensive paper towels,just  buy the ones at the dollar store, they don,t plug things up

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
That's funny. Years ago followed a guy on a job in the truck shop, he had the exhaust manifold and turbo on. Finished setting the overhead, started it up and it looked like Christmas in July in the shop, instead of snowing white, it was tiny pieces of blue shop towel.  blowing out the exhaust stack. He had plugged each of the exhaust ports with a blue towel before he drilled the broken exhaust studs out and forget to pull them when he put the manifold back on. Of course I never did anything dumb in the shop :vl: except for.....

Last year Roadracing World did a comparison test of all the liter sportbikes from the manufactures, the ZX-10 blew up at the start of the test seems someone left a rag in it. Which begs the question of how a bike that is supposed to be off the showroom floor stock for magazine testing gets a towel in the bottom end?
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »

I did that two years ago...didn't end up hurting the motor though, I cought it upon initial startup.

Offline mitch

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
thanks guys,that lessons the guilt alot, all though i still feel down half a case of beer, we got the summer sizzler fathers day all bike drag meet 3 day event.might take the turbo busa out,haven,t had it out yet,maybe take some of those heavy duty paper towels  with me,slide acouple doun the the crack of my ass for safety,i,m old as dirt&shit happens.if i brake this bike,gonna have to have ayard sale or get a job.