Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 01 1000 - Slow times  (Read 9216 times)

Offline 01_GSXR_1000

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
01 1000 - Slow times
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
I have a 2001 GSXR 1000, right around 64-64.5" wb, strapped on the front, BMC filter, Two Brothers Race Exhaust, PCIII, stock rear gear and -1 up front. First time running this bike I was only able to pull a 1.82 60' with an 11.43 @119.  Biggest problem was the bike would either break the back tire loose out of the hole (Michelin Pilot Power) or when it would actually hook up it would completely fall on its face out of the hole.  I would launch the bike around 6-6500 each pass.  I am right around 200 suited.  Since then, being extremely unsatisified with how the bike performed, I have purchased a Shinko 003 rear tire, -2 front sprocket, lowered the rear about 2 inches and the front about 1 and added a custom cut seat.  I am hoping to be able to make a few passes this coming weekend.  I know seat time and practice are big players in this game, I have been at it for a decent amount of time, just really disappointed in how she performed.  I have talked with quite a few other experienced riders about it as well, but always looking to get more feedback and tricks of the trade....I tried posting a picture with this but it has been a minute since I have had to work with HTML type coding...any ideas?

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
Re: 01 1000 - Slow times
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Well first you should go up in rear instead of down in front because it is much easier on the chain. second adjust your rear shock rebound 2-5 clicks from bottomed out and compression 2-5 clicks from wide open. Try that and see what you get.
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline MICHAEL MATHEWS

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
119mph is extremely low.I would start with the basics.Compression test,leakdown and then a dyno session.

Offline 01_GSXR_1000

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
Thanks for the input! I will try out the shock setup and see what happens.  I have a racing buddy that is going to help me out on that because I dont have a clue how to adjust the shocks on these things.  We also plan to run through all the basic checks on the motor tonight and plan to pull the clutches to see how they look as well.  I have been told that the bog could be due to the anti chatter rings missing from the clutch.  The bike has a little over 30K on it so I plan to do a rebuild in the next year or two unless it goes to hell before that.  I knew the 119 was way to low for the bike, when I can go through and all the other 1000s are running 130+ fairly easily and in the 10s and mine is only pulling 11.4 @ 119 something isn't right.  I am still getting used to the bike as well but still, few years back I ran an 03 GSXR 600 and the best on it was 11.48 @ 121
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:09:42 AM by 01_GSXR_1000 »

Offline moparict

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
Are you shifting out of 3rd gear? :hys:  Sorry, I had to.  Sounds like motor problems or a horrible tune.  I would check the plugs and the simple parts just to make sure the motor is good enough to pound on.  The compression check listed above will certainly tell you of any major problems.
I hate to ask, but sometimes we have to.  Are you getting to WOT and are you sure you're staying there?  Were your 60ft times consistant or were they all over the place?  Where are you shifting at?  Is your 1/8th mile mph staying consistant?  You should be close to 112-115mph at the 1/8th not the 1/4.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:07:09 PM by moparict »

Offline 01_GSXR_1000

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
Actually, I am or was barely hitting 4th at the traps.  I would run er up to about 11-11500 before shifting.  I have never had it on a dyno so I don't know where peak power starts to drop on this specific bike.  60' were all between 1.95 & 2.0 because it would either spin or bog out of the hole.  My best was the 1.82 which resulted in my best ET for obvious reasons.  All 1/8 mph were between 96-98 mph and I would actually miss 3rd or 4th several times because of my new boots.  I am generally at WOT by the time I pass the tree and it always stays there. 

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
The shock isn't going to make much difference.

Check your airbox to make sure you haven't sucked up a plastic grocery bag or something (yes, I have seen it happen).

Your speed is way down. Either you aren't really at wide open throttle, or the bike is that messed up.

If you are only running 1.95-2.0 short times, the majority of the problem is likely with the nut between the handle bars and the seat.

Free rev the bike to about 6500-7500 rpm at the line, get the throttle open as quickly as you can while keeping the slightly climbing.  Bogging is probably from you being to aggressive with the clutch as well as not really opening the throttle the way you perceive to be opening it.

You need more practice. Missing shifts aren't going to help anything. :-)

Next time you go to the trap, don;'t focus on your reaction time. Pre-stage, and stage your bike. then rev the bike to 7000 rpm. Wait until the light are coming down and then take a breath look ahead, and then leave, concentrating on your throttle and clutch control. Your reaction time being in the 1-2 second range will not have an impact on your ET. The clocks don't start until you actually move. Relax and concentrate on operating the bike rather than losing focus by trying to react quickly.

Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »
01 has a horrible clutch, get the 04 zx10 anti chatter plate ,  gos straight in, just have to play with your stack height after to get it all good again
Official Site Donor

Offline 01_GSXR_1000

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the input!  I think I may have found the problem behind everything.  My bike since last race got really sluggish with no power it seemed.  My first pass this weekend was a 14.99, which is way off, made some adjustments and it went an even worse 18.5.  Got the thing lugged home and tore in to it and found the fuel pump and filters were plugged full of rust and junk.  Got them cleaned up and will be taking it out for a spin later tonight.  I back flushed the pump and filters and steam cleaned the tank to get all the crap out.  Hopi g this fixes my power issues.

Offline 01_GSXR_1000

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Well my pump was completely junked out.  Put a tank and pump in from a buddy and it ran like normal.  Got anew pump coming and the tank is being cleaned and a new liner installed. Also re gapped and cleaned the plugs, put a map on it from 2 brothers racing and pulled the junked up screens out of the injectors.  Bike now pulls and accelerates harder than it ever has.  Did a back road 1/4 test and though not official I was at 115-120 mph mid 3rd before I shut it down.  After dropping the tooth up front to -2 I was crossing the traps at 119 in mid-high 4th gear.  Needless to say, between the way it feels and and the back road numbers I am extremely excited to see what it will do at the track next weekend! :tu: