Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: - The LSR Launch -  (Read 68694 times)

Offline Warp12

• Rider
- The LSR Launch -
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
Let's talk about it.

Now, most everyone knows that I feel that the launch (1st 150', say), hardly has an impact...compared to what happens down the track.

So, think about this. If a bike is gaining 2 mph in 300 feet, at the end of the track (stronger than most stock motor bikes), all else being equal, you can only gain 2 mph if the track is 300' longer. Consider that a strong NA bike only gains 5-6 mph in the last 2600' at Loring.

Now, let's look at the launch. Are you losing 300'? Doubtful. Is wheelspin and clutch sliding putting more power down than bogging it and going WOT?? What costs more mph...easing it out and going WOT, or getting sideways and backing out at the 100' mark? These bikes gain speed rapidly on the front half of the track. In 3rd gear you might gain 10 mph in just 150 feet, if not better. 2nd gear even more. I've done some dragstrip testing...it tells me you can just about equal or better a hard launch with a soft one. How many times have you guys seen your ET be crap, but your MPH is pretty darn good?

I am asking that we keep it scientific. We all "feel" faster when we launch hard.

Shane
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:10:06 AM by Warp12 »

Offline Warp12

• Rider
Re: - The LSR Launch -
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
From the internet (must be true!):

1) Trap Speed will tell you about your HP to weight.
2) ET will tell you more about traction and your launch.

Of course ET is important to true drag racers, because the winner is the one that gets there first. However, we're not necessarily true drag racers in our attempt to get a power estimate. Honestly, ask 10 guys at the track "What kind of trap speed are you running?" and 8 out of 10 will answer with their ET - to one or two decimal places even. When you say, "No, no, I meant trap speed", they will fumble with a broad estimate with NO decimal places and might even have to pull a time slip out of their pocket to check. Try this question when you're at the track; it's almost funny.

THE DYNAMICS OF TRAP SPEED VS. ET

After running lots of quarter miles, it becomes clear that how well you do in the first 100 feet of the track is KEY to a good time. The last half of the track is KEY to a good speed.

Let's use an example of a stick-shift mini-pickup that on a perfect run, gets a timeslip of 19.50 seconds at 70.00 mph in the quarter.

Imagine that the light turns green, the truck moves two feet and the engine dies for three seconds. After restarting the engine, the driver proceeds to then complete a perfect pass. His time slip would show 22.50 seconds at 69.97 mph. The ET was 3.00 seconds high but the speed was almost unaffected.. why?? It's because his racetrack was 1318 feet long instead of 1320, and in those last two feet this truck usually gains an additional 0.03 mph. However, the clocks recorded the long time. My point? Much of a great ET is made by a great launch.

Now take this truck again, and the driver leaves right on the green light. However, he misses the 3-4 shift when he's at 1250 feet. He coasts for the last 70 feet while trying to find fourth gear. Now instead of accelerating another few mph in this final 70 feet of the track, he decelerates over this distance. His timeslip; 19.51 at 67.83 mph. Note how the et is almost perfect (only off by 0.01 second) but the trap speed is way off (over 2 mph slow)! On a good run, traveling that last 70 feet at an average of 69 mph, would have taken .692 seconds. At a 68 mph avg., that 70 feet takes .682 seconds. That's why his ET only varied by .01 seconds, yet the trap speed was 'way off'. My point here: the end of the track is critical to trap speed; shift rpm, missing a gear... these are the big players.

Hopefully these examples are clear. Neither of these runs are 'perfect' runs, it's just that one has an error at the start, one at the finish and the results are obvious. The start of the track is a big player in the ET, but a small player in the mph. The end of the track is a big player in the mph, but a small player the ET.

My belief is definitely that LSR is the opposite of drag racing. In drag racing, what you do at the start is most important...in LSR, you better do it right on the big end.

Shane

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
Great info Shane.  HP, Traction and Aero is the Triad to big MPH at the 1 mile.  How you use all three of these factors ultimately determines your outcome.  I agree with your assessment of using the big end for your MPH.  But there comes a point where your machines ability to keep gathering speed based on distance ultimately tells you that you can not waste any distance if your machine has the magic Triad in its favor.  For bikes that hit terminal velocity at mid track then launching hard does not help you and you must rely on. HP and Aero for top end speed.  But if your machine continues to go faster and pulls hard right thru the traps, then I say launch as hard as you can to maintain traction and continue to apply power from start to finish.  Use every bit of track you have.
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
Great info Shane.  HP, Traction and Aero is the Triad to big MPH at the 1 mile.  How you use all three of these factors ultimately determines your outcome.  I agree with your assessment of using the big end for your MPH.  But there comes a point where your machines ability to keep gathering speed based on distance ultimately tells you that you can not waste any distance if your machine has the magic Triad in its favor.  For bikes that hit terminal velocity at mid track then launching hard does not help you and you must rely on. HP and Aero for top end speed.  But if your machine continues to go faster and pulls hard right thru the traps, then I say launch as hard as you can to maintain traction and continue to apply power from start to finish.  Use every bit of track you have.

That is where I am leaning, Guy. For stock motor bikes, I think focus on tuck and shift points, wot quickly, and you are really there. For a powerful bike, gulping down pavement and gaining mph quickly, that real estate is more critical. I think there is also a point that you can run big mph without a drag start, imo. Sliding the clutch minimizes the power down, and wheelspin hurts you. Even with the fueling, the quicker to WOT (not harder launch) will get you to the 100% tps map more quickly. And that is hp. It is a fine balance. As always, more than one way to skin a cat!!

Shane
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:53:20 AM by Warp12 »

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »
Double post.

Offline Daveeed

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »
I agree with Guy use every bit of track.
Me?, no pussy footn. I launch it as hard as possible, which is easier to do with land speed gearing. Next week at Mojave I'll be making my first runs using 19/39 for the mile and 19/38 for the 1 1/2 mile. With the high gearing and a lil bit of clutch slippn, the wheel spin at the start is minimal. because of the high gearing the wheelie factor aint there. I won't worry about nuthing except launching as hard as possible and completing the 1-2 shift perfectly, then i start thinking about the tuck, but #1 factor is build momentum. The sooner I go faster, the longer I have to accelerate.  JMHO

Dave
Tonsil Cancer Survivor: (HPV-16... go figure)
I race to make my soul smile, not to dismantle yours
Mojave Mile: 207 mph
Mojave Magnum: 209 mph
Bonneville: 200.5 mph
Bub RWB: 194.5 mph (Unacclaimed Champion!)
1397/JE13.5-1/Ward head/Web 415-395
Tuner: Fireman Jim @ JT&S Performance, Sonoma

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:05:07 PM »
I agree with Guy use every bit of track.
Me?, no pussy footn. I launch it as hard as possible, which is easier to do with land speed gearing. Next week at Mojave I'll be making my first runs using 19/39 for the mile and 19/38 for the 1 1/2 mile. With the high gearing and a lil bit of clutch slippn, the wheel spin at the start is minimal. because of the high gearing the wheelie factor aint there. I won't worry about nuthing except launching as hard as possible and completing the 1-2 shift perfectly, then i start thinking about the tuck, but #1 factor is build momentum. The sooner I go faster, the longer I have to accelerate.  JMHO

Dave

Which is more important....your tuck...or  "building momentum"? The logged data says that "building momentum" is not gathering much. "Pussy footin" and "dragstrip launch"...different. Show me the data. Average bike...100 feet quicker to 125 mph is probably .1 mph at that mile....if that?  Where is your focus?

Does a hard launch mean more mph at the mile? I don't think it always means more mph at the 1/4...based on 1000 dragstrip passes.

Shane
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:08:21 PM by Warp12 »

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
i suggest taking the 125cc bike or Volkswagen Rabbit off the table.

I think we can all agree that a vehicle which is gaining no mph at the 1/2 is unlikely to benefit from hard launches.
(Although it might be interesting to ask some experienced minimum hp riders for their thoughts)

karl
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
1) Trap Speed will tell you about your HP to weight.

i think this pretty well sums it up

the sooner you have the hp to the ground  , the faster you will go
think of it like hp/sec ,if in the first second you were putting down 50 hp and you can improve that to 60 hp you will be faster  ,same for second and third seconds 
bit like a dyno graph looking at area under the line for the run

Official Site Donor

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
You also have to think about, traction/drive down course.  LSR tracks aren't prepped like most NHRA tracks so that changes things a lot.

Also, if you over heat the clutch/tire on a hard launch I've seen this cause bikes to slip on the big end.  But again, depends on many factors besides just power..

I've also seen some people worry so much about the hard start that the body position gets so out of whack holding on, that any gains they got in the 1/4 or 1/2 or completely lost on the 1-Mile when aero is botched... 
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline Busa3268

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »
I feel and hope to test soon that and use as much power as possible in the first 1/2 mile.. cause on most turbo busa's everyone turns it down  anyways.  power will overcome bad tuck to a point. its finding how much and where aero needs attention to be safe.

228.3 Naked Loring 2018

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
You also have to think about, traction/drive down course.  LSR tracks aren't prepped like most NHRA tracks so that changes things a lot.

Also, if you over heat the clutch/tire on a hard launch I've seen this cause bikes to slip on the big end.  But again, depends on many factors besides just power..

I've also seen some people worry so much about the hard start that the body position gets so out of whack holding on, that any gains they got in the 1/4 or 1/2 or completely lost on the 1-Mile when aero is botched...

Josh is onto something!  :D

remember DaveO!!!!! :thumb:

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »

Josh is onto something!  :D

remember DaveO!!!!! :thumb:

LSR tracks are not the best for traction. One of the things that Jason Miller teaches is to get your body position close to set, right from the start. I see this ignored all the time, causing people traction problems....in LSR and at the dragstrip. They are moving all around on the bike in the first 100 feet or so, and the chassis is unsettled and it spins the tire. In my case, I have a major issue with footshifting 1-2, that every time I raise my foot up, the bike wants to wheelie, killing my drive, because my body rises too. So, you know, what works for one person may not work for another. What works for a small, pro-level jockey...maybe not applicable to middle-age, 220 lb, 6'+, average-skill guy.  :D

Now, I have to admit, I value not having a bunch of drama on a pass. I don't like "fighting" the bike or the track. I think that when you have your consistency down, and you have mastered your tuck and shift points, then you can start the look at other areas. So, you know there are two things I think we can look at here. One is the hard "dragstrip" style launch where you slide the clutch...and the other is getting the clutch out and WOT as quickly as possible. Dave did it his way, and it was fast, and consistent. Maybe that style won't work for everyone...but it did for him. When I see inconsistent riders focused on their launch, spinning the tire, wheelying...well, I advocate that they focus on the tuck, shift points, and become consistent. I've heard Jason Miller say something to the effect of, "the race is in the 60', but the knowledge is in the consistency".

I like these kind of discussions. You know, I am not going to come in and tell a pro jockey how to go faster (unless they have a bad tuck, lol). But I like to figure out the how AND the why. Then we can all benefit and apply what works for us.  :thumb:

Shane
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:44:42 AM by Warp12 »

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
I like to release the clutch quick, but that means, with turbobike and long gearing, it starts crawling ahead and finally, when boost kicks in, starts to happen. There is plenty of time to get into good tuck.
Can you post pics of good and bad tuck ?

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
I like to release the clutch quick, but that means, with turbobike and long gearing, it starts crawling ahead and finally, when boost kicks in, starts to happen. There is plenty of time to get into good tuck.
Can you post pics of good and bad tuck ?

I really depends on the rider. You have to do the best with what you have, lol. In general, elbows in,  feet up high and tight, chin down...ass back as far as you can get it. Flatten your back out. "Get small" is often said. A good tuck can leave you very tired from hugging the bike so tight.

A little off-topic, but other, faster guys can add something here!

Shane

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »

A little off-topic, but other,
faster guys can add something here!

Shane

#__   name__________________________   speed____   track, yr   comment1____________________________________________
1   Bill Warner (WildBro)   296.128   LOR13   :angel:****FASTEST MILE****LORING TRACK RECORD****
1.1   Bill Warner (WildBro)   278.6   GOL10   :angel:****GOLIAD TRACK RECORD****
1.2   Bill Warner (WildBro)   274.2   MOJ11   :angel:****MOJAVE TRACK RECORD****
1.3   Bill Warner (WildBro)   272.374   MAX10   :angel:****MAXTON TRACK RECORD****
2   Billy Shoemaker (billyshoe)     269.2   MOJ11   
3   Shane Stubbs (Livin1072)      264.375   MAX10   
4   Tom Gates (TrickTom1)   261.5   GOL10   
5   Lee Shierts   260.288   MAX05   
6   Charlie Anstaett (Busa200)   259.856   MAX08   
6.1   Billy Shoemaker (billyshoe)     255.7   BEE11   ****BEEVILLE TRACK RECORD****
7   Wayne Pollack   255.543   MAX05   
7.1   Bill Warner (WildBro)   255.1   GOL10   :angel:****FASTEST NAKED****
8   Ben Beckert (Beckertb)   252.806   GOL09   
9   Scott Guthrie (scottg)   251.147   GOL04   
10   John Noonan (SpeedKing)   251.1   MOJ10   
11   Jack Frost   250   WOD09   ****WOODBRIDGE TRACK RECORD****
12   Hussain Al-sowaigh   249.6   BEE12   
13   Thomas Cronin   249.055   LOR12   
14   Terry Kizer (MrTurbo)   247.591   GOL08   
15   Dean Sabatinelli (Zrxdean)     245.109   MAX11   ****FASTEST 1000cc****
16   Rich Yancy      244.358   GOL04   
17   Walt Kudron (TurboKing)   244.18   MAX07   
17.1   Jack Frost   244.1   ELV12   ****ELVINGTON TRACK RECORD****
18   Jennifer Robertson (9secondJen)      243.6   BEE12   ****FASTEST WOMAN****
19   Jo Stevenson (Tinkerbell1710)   243.5   ELV12   
20   Mika Syren (speedduck)   243   ELV13   
21   Jody Leveille (Nicklecityracing)      242.208   MAX09   
22   Mike Grainger   242.09   ELV12   
23   Phil Wood   241.9   ELV13   
24   Trillium Muir (Nicklecityracing)       241.484   MAX09    
25   Don Hass   239.788   MAX11   
26   Dave Owen (DaveO)   239.387   GOL08   :angel:
27   Ransom Holbrook (RansomT)   238.6   WIL13   ****FASTEST NITROUS****
28   Mark Deluca (portchop)                   238.216   MAX09   
29   Shane Wogan    237.2   ELV10   
30   Sal Spatafora (TheIceMan)     236.96   MAX07   
31   Steve Knecum (knecum)      235.564   MAX01   
31.1   Dean Sabatinelli (Zrxdean)     234.09   WIL12   ****WILMINGTON TRACK RECORD****
32   Ken Dunn (Ken 12r)   233.61   ELV12   
33   Russ Montgomery (Rustman)      233.059   GOL07   
34   John Rockers (Rockafella)      232.655   GOL07   
35   Frank Gillebaard      232.1   WOD09   
36   Ian Cleminshaw (Zedhed)   231.6   ELV11   
37   Becci Ellis (Becci Ellis Angelpaws)   231.1   ELV13   
38   Richard Canning   230.6   ELV12   
39   Colt "TinTin" Bateman   230.446   LOR12   ****FASTEST NA****
40   Carl Francis (gixxerfixxer)   230.375   GOL06   
41   Kevin Mullner   230.157   GOL07   
42   Tim Leeper   230.1   BEE13   
42.1   Jennifer Robertson (9secondJen)      229.963   LOR13   ****FASTEST NA W/TICKET****
43   Rusty Studer      229.679   MAX07   
44   Mark E. Dotson (hayabusalsr)   229.357   WIL13   
45   Tony Foster(sleeper450)   229.2   ELV13   
46   Mark Gordon (MarkScott)   229.009   GOL09   
47   Jason McVicar (Jasontmc)      228.969   GOL08   
48   Stuart Morrison   228.9   WOD09   
49   Ryan Ostergard (osti33)   228.9   BEE13   
50   Guy Caputo (2fast4u2c)     228.803   MAX07

A little tongue in cheek, but of the 50 fastest folks
in the mile, in the WORLD, there are at least 25
that are - or were - members of the board.

Is that a deep bench, or what ?

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
If you want to learn about tuck do a salt meeting on a NA bike where you can hold it at its maximum speed for several miles and move yourself around and see changes in rpm or mph
biggest single learning experiance i think i had was doing this on Gary Petersons bike at Gairdiner  05
hand position, knees backside, head, every one made a difference you could see
Official Site Donor

Offline gixxerfixxer

• Rider
  • Always rebuilding....
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
If you want to learn about tuck do a salt meeting on a NA bike where you can hold it at its maximum speed for several miles and move yourself around and see changes in rpm or mph
biggest single learning experience i think i had was doing this on Gary Petersons bike at Gairdiner  05
hand position, knees backside, head, every one made a difference you could see

That's what I really like about running on the salt, time to do the adjustments and seeing the results.

1 mile is a long drag race... grip it and twist it and get as small as possible while accelerating as hard as possible.

On a side not WOW I'm down to 40 now.... I think in 2006 I was close to the top 10 :)

Maybe this year?

Offline Mont

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • new guy
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
Honestly, ask 10 guys at the track "What kind of trap speed are you running?" and 8 out of 10 will answer with their ET - to one or two decimal places even. When you say, "No, no, I meant trap speed", they will fumble with a broad estimate with NO decimal places and might even have to pull a time slip out of their pocket to check.
I noticed that I get strange looks when I quote a MPH when asked the question at the strip myself.  I like seeing how fast I can shoot out the other end through the traps vs ET. 

The points made about tuck are right on, especially for heavy hitters.  The bike I was on at Houston last time was running very close to being out of power at a half mile.  I made a couple of passes concentrating on knee position and found that alone was a 1-3 MPH difference.  Using my feet (rocking my ankle forward) to push my knees up into the the bottom of my arms worked best.

Traction is a relative issue, but Houston is very close to what I find at the Baytown strip.  Maybe not the first 60 feet, but after that, very close.  Chase Field is a whole different story, especially that drop at the 1/8 mile point.  You can see or hear it in nearly every video shot there.  One long term goals is to run a longer track.  I envy you guys that have been able to do that. 

Offline Busa3268

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
Just from seeing bills runs at loring his 311 pass was a soft launch and his  mile passes sounded and looked way more aggressive. Would be nice to have 1/2 mile data on the two cause loring can hook. Just things that I am learning in my quest for 250+
228.3 Naked Loring 2018

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »
Just from seeing bills runs at loring his 311 pass was a soft launch and his  mile passes sounded and looked way more aggressive. Would be nice to have 1/2 mile data on the two cause loring can hook. Just things that I am learning in my quest for 250+

"the launch" doesn't just mean the 1st 60', it means all the way thru 1st, in 2nd.

NONE of Bill's "launches" were soft.  He got started harder than ANY other turbo bike, and it was intentional.
If you were at loring near the starting line for his 311 you heard the his signature 1st gear tire squeal, just like Texas, Mojave.
NO other turbo rider get on it that hard in 1st gear, none.

Offline scott g

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
Just from seeing bills runs at loring his 311 pass was a soft launch
and his  mile passes sounded and looked way more aggressive.
Would be nice to have 1/2 mile data on the two cause loring can hook.

Just things that I am learning in my quest for 250+

The Quest for 250 MPH in the mile is a real quest

1   Bill Warner (WildBro)   296.128   LOR13   :angel:****FASTEST MILE****LORING TRACK RECORD****
1.1   Bill Warner (WildBro)   278.6   GOL10   :angel:****GOLIAD TRACK RECORD****
1.2   Bill Warner (WildBro)   274.2   MOJ11   :angel:****MOJAVE TRACK RECORD****
1.3   Bill Warner (WildBro)   272.374   MAX10   :angel:****MAXTON TRACK RECORD****
6.1   Billy Shoemaker (billyshoe)     255.7   BEE11   ****BEEVILLE TRACK RECORD****
11   Jack Frost   250   WOD09   *

The above eleven (11) folks are the only racers currently
attaining that goal.

If you look past the Bill Warner program ( Warner and Billy Shoemaker),
NOBODY has joined that exclusive "250 Club" in three (3) years. (since 2010)

It ain't easy.

But, looking at the "second eleven" (11), we see folks on the move:

12    Hussain Al-sowaigh   249.6   BEE12   
13   T homas Cronin   249.055   LOR12   
14    Terry Kizer (MrTurbo)   247.591   GOL08   
15    Dean Sabatinelli (Zrxdean)     245.109   MAX11   ****FASTEST 1000cc****
16    Rich Yancy      244.358   GOL04   
17    Walt Kudron (TurboKing)   244.18   MAX07   
17.1    Jack Frost   244.1   ELV12   ****ELVINGTON TRACK RECORD****

Of this eleven, seven have done the time in the last couple of years,
and   20   Mika Syren (speedduck) did his time this year.

The dream of 250 is possible.

Who will be next ?

Offline Busa3268

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »
I guess soft was wrong word.. softer than his mile starts...  and yes thats my point use as much track as possible. . And be at WOT for as long as possible .
228.3 Naked Loring 2018

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »

attaining that goal.

It ain't easy.

Who will be next ?

Maybe not next but next season that should be possible for me, they say that the bike is 250 bike, rider is just soft launcher.

Offline Busa3268

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »

attaining that goal.

It ain't easy.

Who will be next ?

I recall T cronin made 250 in mile. and that would put him the only in last 3 years? I will hit 250!! and hope its at my next event..
228.3 Naked Loring 2018