Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: clutch pressure lost, unable to engage 1st gear  (Read 10094 times)

Offline ErrEs

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • When in doubt, lean more.
clutch pressure lost, unable to engage 1st gear
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Got stuck halfway a ride today. Lost all pressure on the clutch and couldn't even get it into first in the end. My first guess would be a broken seal which allows air into the system. Any other ideas? (1st gen '02 with 13000mi)
Open your mind, freedom's a state.

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
Re: clutch pressure lost, unable to engage 1st gear
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
it would be leaking if you blew a seal or hose. check fluids and check clutch for broken plates
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:07:22 PM »
Check the sprocket cover. Likely cracked and no longer reacting the clutch slave force.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
When you pull that slave cover , clean all the crap off the piston and clean it up good, but first off check that fluid level, if it's low you'll probably need a seal.

Offline ErrEs

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 06:34:44 AM »
Turns out to be the master cylinder. I'm waiting for parts now. Because I only recently bought the bike from a dealer (less than 400km since purchase) I called them and told them they have to fix it. Should be ready halfway next week. (or so I hope)

Offline ErrEs

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
It took them a bit longer than expected but I got the bike back today (after two whole weeks). Turns out the master cylinder was the culprit. Because of a worn seal the piston got loose and damaged the inside of the cylinder. The shop replaced it free of charge for me. So now I'm good to go for some fun rides.  :bike:

Offline ErrEs

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
It took them a bit longer than expected but I got the bike back today (after two whole weeks). Turns out the master cylinder was the culprit. Because of a worn seal the piston got loose and damaged the inside of the cylinder. The shop replaced it free of charge for me. So now I'm good to go for some fun rides.  :bike:

Or so I thought... They're picking up the bike again tomorrow. The clutch works fine but there's something loose inside the clutch, whenever I let go of the lever it starts rattling like someone trew in some screws and closed the lid. Sure enough there's some nice riding weather coming up these next couple of days.  :bh:

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 05:52:37 AM »

Or so I thought... They're picking up the bike again tomorrow. The clutch works fine but there's something loose inside the clutch, whenever I let go of the lever it starts rattling like someone trew in some screws and closed the lid. Sure enough there's some nice riding weather coming up these next couple of days.  :bh:
Sorry for your problems, it might do you well to get a manual, and buy parts online
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline ErrEs

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 06:31:12 AM »

Sorry for your problems, it might do you well to get a manual, and buy parts online
I've got both the Haynes manual and the shop floor manual, but there is a warranty period of a year so I'm letting them fix it at their cost.  :tu:
besides, the guy told me the bike was in top condition when he sold it to me a few weeks ago, so I expect a top condition bike, nothing less.