Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Settings for stock shock  (Read 7579 times)

Offline playswithnitro

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Settings for stock shock
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:33 AM »
G'day,

Looking for suggestions for settings to suit 300+lb rider on Gen 1 with stock shock.

Standard wheelbase. Lowering links and strapped front.. 160hp

Give me some ideas.
K1 Busa
And stuff.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Settings for stock shock
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
Turn all of the adjustments all the way in.

You aren't going to be anywhere close with the shock preload with a stock spring, so you can just tighten the preload adjuster in as much as practical without causing coil bind.

Place a wire tie, tie wrap,zip tie, whatever you want to call it tightly around the shock rod inside the spring. Push the tie all the way up against the shock body. After you make a pass, look at where it is located (My guess is that it will be buried in the shock stop at the bottom). Ideally the shock will never bottom out even on a hard launch, but the shock will use about 75-85% of its travel.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline moparict

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
G'day,

Looking for suggestions for settings to suit 300+lb rider on Gen 1 with stock shock.

Give me some ideas.

On another note, did you get the clutch put in and put to good use?

Offline playswithnitro

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »
Turn all of the adjustments all the way in.

You aren't going to be anywhere close with the shock preload with a stock spring, so you can just tighten the preload adjuster in as much as practical without causing coil bind.

Place a wire tie, tie wrap,zip tie, whatever you want to call it tightly around the shock rod inside the spring. Push the tie all the way up against the shock body. After you make a pass, look at where it is located (My guess is that it will be buried in the shock stop at the bottom). Ideally the shock will never bottom out even on a hard launch, but the shock will use about 75-85% of its travel.

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

G'day,

Give me some ideas.

On another note, did you get the clutch put in and put to good use?

Just waiting for new clutch pack to arrive.
K1 Busa
And stuff.

Offline playswithnitro

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:56:53 AM »
Okay, I forgot to put the cable tie around the shaft. Will do that before next meeting.

Went over the scales at 868.6lb on the way to the staging lanes.

Got four passes in. Went 10.77/133, 10.81/131, 10.84/130, and 10.88/129 after a redlight in the second round.

Stock clutch but hoping to get the MTC Multistage in before the next meeting. Going up two teeth on the back to 16/45. There's better 60-footers and more rpm to be found across the line in fourth.

Also the MSD Launchmaster and Woolich Racing Logbox Pro.

May not be the quickest or fastest bike out there but I don't care, I'm happy and that's all that matters.

K1 Busa
And stuff.