Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Which Power Commander Setup is Best for Head/Cam Package?  (Read 7677 times)

Offline krex

• Rider
Which Power Commander Setup is Best for Head/Cam Package?
« on: April 19, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
Hoping to do a cnc head and cam combo on a friends 08 along with a brocks exhaust. He likes the idea of the auto tune feature. What's the difference between the V and USB models? I'm hoping to install everything and let the auto tune do it's job. Am I dreaming? Any help appreciated.

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
Re: Which Power Commander Setup is Best for Head/Cam Package?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
Ecu editor and PCV
Official Site Tuner
Builder and tuner of some of the FASTEST motorcycle in the world
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline krex

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »
Why would you need the PCV with the ECU flash?  No love for the autotune? Was hoping that feature actually worked.
He's too busy to take it to get it properly tuned.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:26:41 PM by krex »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 03:53:43 PM »
Why would you need the PCV with the ECU flash?  No love for the autotune? Was hoping that feature actually worked.
It does work, but not quit the same as JC says, the ECU editor is the best way, not sure why you would want the PC along with the ECU flash, only problem I'v found with doing the ECU flash tune is most common dyno guys no jack about it, so the Power commanders get used, I know personaly that the PC5 with the auto tune will work ok but I also know that a good dyno tune without using the autotune the bike seemed to run better
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
I think the autotune module will run you more than unleashing the ECU and dynotune. Some tuners like the PCs because they say they can get closer with the PC. You can not go wrong unleashing that ECU. Zuki really detuned the Gen II

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
Ecu editor rules period the issue is it takes a ton of time to get correct.
The PCV will do the fuel quicker and then you can zero in with the editor.
The editor will do all the other stuff like timing, secondary butterflies, rev limiter etc etc etc.
Auto tune sucks PERIOD. THERE IS NO SET A/F through out all cells.
Official Site Tuner
Builder and tuner of some of the FASTEST motorcycle in the world
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
Stock ECU runs my bike at 460whp / 24psi. It's probably gonna see 500 by season's end.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
Stock ECU runs my bike at 460whp / 24psi. It's probably gonna see 500 by season's end.

That's weak...especially when you are starting with a GEN2...better head, cams, more displacement...weak  :lol: 8) :hd: :moped:
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »

That's weak...especially when you are starting with a GEN2...better head, cams, more displacement...weak  :lol: 8) :hd: :moped:

don't make me smack you john.

the AMS is working GREAT! we almost flipped the bike over backwards at about 150ft out today. I think we need a smoother transition from slip to lockup and less boost in the front half...  :wink:

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »

the AMS is working GREAT! we almost flipped the bike over backwards at about 150ft out today. I think we need a smoother transition from slip to lockup and less boost in the front half...  :wink:

Need to stick it and then slip it, and add MORE boost in thefront half.  :tu:
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »

Need to stick it and then slip it, and add MORE boost in thefront half.  :tu:

it's getting a good hit right out of the hole...the tire is biting real nice and the clutch is slipping just enough at that point...but after the first couple seconds everything goes retarded. we really did try to ramp it in waaayyyy too soon. as soon as the clutch grabbed we had something like 18psi effective boost. that's way too much for this chassis as we found out last year.

we've dialed it back to just above gate pressure for now so we can get the shorts dialed in easier/better. we had no base to start from so i think this will work better in the end. as we bring up power we'll need to adjust the clutch some i know...but it's better than shooting in the dark like we are now.