Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Bracket Racing With Turbo?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline emarsh

• Post Master
    • http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/
Bracket Racing With Turbo?
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »
I've been messing with other stuff (airplanes) for the last few years. Looking at my shop I decided that I need to finish up the projects that I had put on hold and one of them is my Busa.

I put a 68" arm on it, it has a street turbo with boost controller and two step. I've got a Rock clutch on order. I'm going to try a square slick. I figure that I'll just take it out and do some bracket racing.

I've found that running a stock motor it's pretty easy to make a bunch of runs within a hundredth or so of each other. So far with the turbo consistency has eluded me. I'm hoping that with better traction and a longer arm that will improve.

Any turbo bracket racers here? I'd be interested in any pointers on how to get consistent ETs out of the bike.
Red/gray turbo 1397 Busa for the track.
Black stock ZX14 for the street

When people ask about the 14, I always enjoy telling them that it's my slow  bike.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Bracket Racing With Turbo?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
I've been messing with other stuff (airplanes) for the last few years. Looking at my shop I decided that I need to finish up the projects that I had put on hold and one of them is my Busa.

I put a 68" arm on it, it has a street turbo with boost controller and two step. I've got a Rock clutch on order. I'm going to try a square slick. I figure that I'll just take it out and do some bracket racing.

I've found that running a stock motor it's pretty easy to make a bunch of runs within a hundredth or so of each other. So far with the turbo consistency has eluded me. I'm hoping that with better traction and a longer arm that will improve.

Any turbo bracket racers here? I'd be interested in any pointers on how to get consistent ETs out of the bike.
You answered most of the problem yourself, better traction, the bike has got to hook the same each run or you will have no consistency, a good track is also important if its not prepared well, its just the same as having a crap tire, of course launch rpm, and shift points are also important, you have to do the drill EXACTLY the same every run, don't screw with the bike at the track, at least no tuning adjustments, just keep your tire pres right, and concentrate on your riding and doing everything the same
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
I get a 09 turbo busa I built for e.t. racing, can still street ride it, and try to go fast once in awhile.  I got a rock clutch for it also to help with the consistency.  I got it done over the winter so I only have a few weekends on it.  still trying to get the hang of the rock clutch and having the balls to pin it and throw the clutch away on the line. Also having issues getting it to do a burnout.  Got to rev it up to 8000+ and drop the clutch or it just slips the clutch instead of doing a burn out. So I can not use a two step because it will not let me rev it high enough to do a burnout.  I e.t. raced it two days this last weekend.  the bike ran consistent.  I was not so consistent on my lights and trying to get used to the clutch.  running 10psi boost with a ams1000. It is fun.  unfortunately the faster you go the more traction problems you have.  The bike is consistent.  ran a 8.801 and a 8.802 in a row.  then spun pretty bad the next pass and ran a 8.98.  67" with a shinko hookup and a jri shock.  traction is the number 1 issue.  I ran a flat slick on my old turbo gsxr 1000.  ran two 8.48's in a row in qualifying.  dialed a 8.48 first round and spun all down the track and ran a 9.0.
Their is a big division race I am going to next weekend.  we will get 3 qual runs.  traction "should" be good.  trying to decide if I want to run 10psi boost or just run the 5.8lb spring in the gate to cut down on traction issues.  I can run consistent going fast.  the traction isn't always consistent.  A lot of times they quit prepping the track towards the end of the night too.  sucks to run dead on all day just to spin bad in the finals.  :bh:
A lot of cars and bikes don't need the traction a fast motorcycle does.  So they can go down the track and not have any issues.  then a fast bike goes down the track and spins.  It really pisses me off that a lot of people at the local track will run down the track with a vehicle that has a leak and they don't care.  It doesn't cause them issues or other slow vehicles so they will just run it not careing.  I have ben to the track several times that a car was leaking all over the place and they keep running until the track catches them and kicks them out.  I want to punch them in the face.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:29:47 PM by badass1000 »

Offline emarsh

• Post Master
    • http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Sounds like you've mostly got good constancy. I set my two-step up so that I can press a button and arm it when I'm prestaged. I also do the same things with the boost controller. At prestage I arm it and as soon as the bike moves it's triggered.

Mostly I was having problems with trying to trying to get consistent boost off the line. I was playing around with a rear wheel driven multi-stage and could never get things to work right. I'd throw the clutch away, the engine would hit the rev limiter for a moment then the clutch would pull it down and the boost would fall off. I'm hoping that an engine driven multi-stage will make all the difference.

Thanks.
Red/gray turbo 1397 Busa for the track.
Black stock ZX14 for the street

When people ask about the 14, I always enjoy telling them that it's my slow  bike.

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
Just getting started so I am working out issues.  with the rock their is not very much static pressure so you rely on the slider section of the clutch if you want to call it that.  so I was pulling up to stage and letting the lever out a ways until just before engagement. Then throwing it from their when I launch.  I was getting killer lights, but was having issues.  Then I realized I was letting the lever out far enough that the clutch switch was deactivating and taking it off the two step and starting the ams 1000 ramp before I even launched so I was leaving on 10 psi instead of 6psi. then I started leaving with the clutch lever all the way to the bar. sixtys got better because the lever had a bit more of a run at it before it started to engage, but the reaction times got worse.  So I am going to see if I can mess with the clutch switch to get it to work closer to the same time as clutch engagement.  glue some shims to the clutch lever or something.

Offline GBUSA

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
 8)
9.36@148 wit bone stock motor @ 60"