Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Exhaust Mod  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
Exhaust Mod
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
I've read MANY threads about gutting the cat, V&H header pipes with slip-ons, full exhaust, etc. Has anyone tried cutting the cat off and welding an X-pipe (probably car exhaust type), then adding slip=ons? The look of symmetrical pipes appeals to me, as does the loss of both heat and weight by opening the cat. It appears the H-pipe of the V&H header is an improvement from stock, but an X-pipe configuration of other 4-1-2 full systems is a more free flowing design. I don't want to fabricate a complete custom system from manifold back because I'm hardly qualified. Starting from the beginning of the cat on back would allow reuse of the front pipes and provide free flow without the back pressure issues of simply gutting the converter chamber. I know many of you have set-ups that work and definite mind sets. I'd just like some informed opinions whether this is a viable idea or a crock.
Unlike uranium & plutonium, coffee & speed never reach their critical mass. You can never drink coffee that's too strong... or go too fast

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
Re: Exhaust Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
I was going to do that a few years back but I had a hard time trying to find small dia. x-pipes and to have my local exhaust shop build something was more than a good pipe. You can do a lot better performance wise with aftermarket 4 into 2 system but they are expensive. If you want to keep both silencers, keep costs low and are not that concerned about performance the V&H is hard to beat.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »
And I will probably do just that. Been trying to do some novice research and it looks like the H-pipe configuration may produce a bit more torque, while the X-pipe may increase horsepower. There's no loss and everything to gain. I do appreciate your response and advice, sir.
Unlike uranium & plutonium, coffee & speed never reach their critical mass. You can never drink coffee that's too strong... or go too fast

Offline FILT166

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »
You can cut open the stock cat area and cut it out and it'll be a 4-2-2 or 4-2-1-2 setup.
The stock pipe isn't worth anything to sell, might as well open it up and gut it.
02 SE Busa gone & mis it
99 Busa a lil stretch
08 orange/black

Offline Amode

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »
I took the stock pipes cut out the cats, Welded it back up Powder coated it. Then I put on some car mufflers that are rated about 300 hp each. Each muffler cost one hundred dollars and stainless steel and carbon fiber. I do not worry about torque or Hp. I just tune around that. Most Mufflers are not HP its just sound.