Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: VooDoo hoodoo??  (Read 19504 times)

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
VooDoo hoodoo??
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
Understandably everyone seems to have their preference as far as aftermarket 4-1 systems. I don't hear or read too much about VooDoo, and what I do see is a kind of laughable "I can't believe you'd buy that"!! If there's something I'm missing, then please humor me. Is VooDoo that bad, and if so then what IS wrong with it?
Unlike uranium & plutonium, coffee & speed never reach their critical mass. You can never drink coffee that's too strong... or go too fast

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
Re: VooDoo hoodoo??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
You'd be better off with 2 exhaust tips from Autozone instead of a Voodoo...or even better yet: stock
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »
So I've heard. What I'd like to know is "why"?
Unlike uranium & plutonium, coffee & speed never reach their critical mass. You can never drink coffee that's too strong... or go too fast

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »
If it makes less hp and torque than stock why ask
Official Site Tuner
Builder and tuner of some of the FASTEST motorcycle in the world
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
If it does make less hp and torque then that would be two good reasons why it's not worth buying. As I mentioned, everyone has their preferences of one brand or another and most everyone seems to say VooDoo is shit. Are these personal preferences showing or are there dyno results-poor manufacturing quality-poor customer service? Is the basic design or bend of the pipes what sucks? Stating that they make less hp and torque tells me that's what you believe, but it doesn't really make the point.

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
If it does make less hp and torque then that would be two good reasons why it's not worth buying. As I mentioned, everyone has their preferences of one brand or another and most everyone seems to say VooDoo is shit. Are these personal preferences showing or are there dyno results-poor manufacturing quality-poor customer service? Is the basic design or bend of the pipes what sucks? Stating that they make less hp and torque tells me that's what you believe, but it doesn't really make the point.
you do what you want to. But next time look at the signature
Official Site Tuner
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
I will do what I want. Unfortunately, I will make an uninformed decision because my question wasn't answered. There doesn't have to be a next time to see your signature since I saw it right away. Frankly, with your obvious knowledge base and expertise, I'm disappointed with your answer. You could just as easily explain as you could to blow me off. You ask me why I even ask. I ask because I want to know. If you find this insulting, sir, I certainly don't mean to insult. On this, and other similar forums, I seldom get my posted actually questions answered.

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
  • Where am I? Don't worry bout it
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
If you just want obnoxious sound without hp/tq increase save your money and buy some exhaust tips from autozone. If you want an increase in hp/tq don't buy Voodoo. Its common knowledge they don't make hp.

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »
I am sorry for pushing so hard to get an answer as to why they don't work. Apparently it has been everyone's collective experience from buying and using these pipes that they are in fact, junk. I jumped to the conclusion that someone here would know WHY. I was wrong.

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
I am sorry for pushing so hard to get an answer as to why they don't work. Apparently it has been everyone's collective experience from buying and using these pipes that they are in fact, junk. I jumped to the conclusion that someone here would know WHY. I was wrong.
JC already stated they make less hp/tq than a factory system.  As far long term as quality "junk" its unknown. Maybe you should try and get an answer from a site that is more to the big tire busa than one that is on the performance side. They are the ones who run the voodoo system. Spend your money as you see fit for your needs

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »
Who runs the various forums/sites and their affiliations-I don't know or really care. No doubt about it, I would certainly prefer more hp/tq than less. It's not that I'm asking for an advanced college aerodynamics course condensed into one paragraph, proprietary trade secrets, or grandpa's barbecue recipe. If the VooDoo pipe diameters are too small or the bends cause too much turbulent flow and back pressure, I'd just like to know. Believe me, if nobody knows the answers, it's okay! To condescend with some of what I've read today with "buy from Autozone" or "it's common knowledge that they don't make hp" is insulting to me.

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 06:49:56 PM »
As far as I know,the voodoo are just muffler tips;they don't make a full exhaust system.

You are not gaining horsepower with a bolt on muffler,you are gaining noise,let alone a piece of crap such as the voodoo. If you want horsepower,you purchase a quality full exhaust that has actual R&D behind it: Akrapovic,Yoshimura,Leo Vince,Arrow to name a few.

Have you ever seen an actual professional race team run a voodoo exhaust? The answer is no. Because they will spend their money on what works and makes horsepower and voodoo is not it.

Voodoo/Two Bros/Taylormade are popular with the Stabucks bike-night crowd....

*EDIT*- I stand corrected,Google showed me they do in fact make a full system. If you want HP,stick to the proven,reputable systems on the market. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:55:38 PM by turbo051k »
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
I don't follow professional race teams for insight such as that, I follow threads on this and other sites if I can find a thread topic that's close enough to my needs. Unfortunately, on the odd occasion that I post a question, I usually get responses that  say everything BUT answer my question. In this case, I've had a number of members tell me that it's a waste of money to buy VooDoo pipes and they may even decrease hp/torque. I'm no mechanic or engineer, but I thought I could get an answer from someone that was just a bit more technical than "everybody knows..." or "the pro racers don't use them so...".

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »
Who runs the various forums/sites and their affiliations-I don't know or really care. No doubt about it, I would certainly prefer more hp/tq than less. It's not that I'm asking for an advanced college aerodynamics course condensed into one paragraph, proprietary trade secrets, or grandpa's barbecue recipe. If the VooDoo pipe diameters are too small or the bends cause too much turbulent flow and back pressure, I'd just like to know. Believe me, if nobody knows the answers, it's okay! To condescend with some of what I've read today with "buy from Autozone" or "it's common knowledge that they don't make hp" is insulting to me.
As far as I know,the voodoo are just muffler tips;they don't make a full exhaust system.

You are not gaining horsepower with a bolt on muffler,you are gaining noise,let alone a piece of crap such as the voodoo. If you want horsepower,you purchase a quality full exhaust that has actual R&D behind it: Akrapovic,Yoshimura,Leo Vince,Arrow to name a few.

Have you ever seen an actual professional race team run a voodoo exhaust? The answer is no. Because they will spend their money on what works and makes horsepower and voodoo is not it.

Voodoo/Two Bros/Taylormade are popular with the Stabucks bike-night crowd....

*EDIT*- I stand corrected,Google showed me they do in fact make a full system. If you want HP,stick to the proven,reputable systems on the market. Good luck.
If you want concrete answers call the makers of the system they'll tell you all you want to know. As to why they don't make hp its just known they don't. The info for all the other hp making pipes is readily available. The majority of individuals on this site just know what works and wont. Few know the whys. The exhaust doesn't make power no one is going to buy the system install dyno and dissect it if it doesn't fit their application.If you are insulted by a blunt answer to a question that's you.

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
I don't follow professional race teams for insight such as that, I follow threads on this and other sites if I can find a thread topic that's close enough to my needs. Unfortunately, on the odd occasion that I post a question, I usually get responses that  say everything BUT answer my question. In this case, I've had a number of members tell me that it's a waste of money to buy VooDoo pipes and they may even decrease hp/torque. I'm no mechanic or engineer, but I thought I could get an answer from someone that was just a bit more technical than "everybody knows..." or "the pro racers don't use them so...".
I think the voodoo is the perfect exhaust for your bike.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
I think the voodoo is the perfect exhaust for your bike.

:lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 11:04:44 PM »
I was never insulted by a blunt answer, only by all the redundant-NON-answers. And BTW, I'm not that into buying the VooDoo...never was. I just wanted to know ABOUT it.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
Dam dude, you don't back off, first if you have a dozen guys tell you something sucks, but don't know why that cause they have probably tried it, second any aftermarket pipe/muffler system by itself, had negligible horsepower increase, they make nice noise, but in most cases you would need a dyno and see numbers to see any difference, as to the answer you want, they make less HP and TQ because there pipe/mufflers/system is made to make good noise, there pipes and mainly mufflers do not have a good internal design for high flow, the configuration of the baffles and packing are such that good air flow through the muffler is impossible, they may have a good sound, but needing good air flow through the system at all RPM ranges, they do not, in case your wondering I know this from personal experience cause I was a dumbass and bought a cheap system cause it looked good, and in the end the dyno proved it made less HP than stock, stock Busa, with air filter and PC stock pipe and dyno tune 162HP install new 4 into 1 pipe ran a half dozen dyno pulls made several adjustments with the map, 158HP, I think WTF, the shop where I was running the dyno work had a used Vance&Hines system a bit to loud for me, but after assing around for another 2-3 hrs and  tank of gas 170HP, from the shit pipe to a good pipe you could tell a very slight diff riding the bike but dam little, if you ever had anything to do with hot cars from years ago, the famous (glass pack mufflers) sounded cool but honestly made little or no additional power vs the modern stuff like flowmaster you may realize what im talking about, and lastly in the future if you post on here and ask especialy a performance related question and a dozen guys including J Cheese tells you something sucks you can pretty much take that to the bank
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »
Son of a Bitch I just read back through that and I sound like a crotchety old school teacher in auto shop class............and I may add all that jackassing around was not cheap, the air cleaner mods pipes PC, gas, I traded work at the shop for use of the dyno, but if I was to put a dollar figure as if I paid for it all easly over 2k, thats 2 thousand dollars for 8 horsepower, 2 months later I sold all that crap and put on a stage1 turbo, $4500, for over 100HP..........thats going on 9 years now
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:16:11 AM by Rocketgeezer »
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
Most people will say, albeit begrudgingly, that it was the crotchety old school teachers who taught them the most. Now THAT sir, was an answer to my question! What the dozen or so guys before you, Cheese included, left out was some tiny morsel of knowledge-prior experience-reason why the pipes suck. Thankfully you have seen fit to offer a big mouthful of the stuff. Say I'm from the show-me state, doubting Thomas, what-ever. I'm not much for going by blind faith. I wonder how many of those dozen guys have had an actual experience with those pipes, as you have, and how many were just repeating what they've heard. You have most thoroughly answered my fairly simple question and I thank you for it. It seems a shame I had to piss off a dozen guys before I could get a REAL answer.

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 08:16:25 AM »
let us see what has been said///////////////////
I guess you want an engineer to give you the formula :hys:
do what I have for the past 38 years and you will also learn.
By the way nice fishing :td:
Official Site Tuner
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »
Merely the slightest hint that you've dealt with this brand would have been plenty for me.

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »
Merely the slightest hint that you've dealt with this brand would have been plenty for me.
since you work for them you provide the stuff :hys:
Official Site Tuner
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
Hmmm...cryptic

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »
I concur with cheese,good trolling sir....
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
Most people will say, albeit begrudgingly, that it was the crotchety old school teachers who taught them the most. Now THAT sir, was an answer to my question! What the dozen or so guys before you, Cheese included, left out was some tiny morsel of knowledge-prior experience-reason why the pipes suck. Thankfully you have seen fit to offer a big mouthful of the stuff. Say I'm from the show-me state, doubting Thomas, what-ever. I'm not much for going by blind faith. I wonder how many of those dozen guys have had an actual experience with those pipes, as you have, and how many were just repeating what they've heard. You have most thoroughly answered my fairly simple question and I thank you for it. It seems a shame I had to piss off a dozen guys before I could get a REAL answer.
I don't know weather your phishing or not don't really care, but anybody with even minimal understanding of how shit works would realize whats going on, when 20 guys tell you a certain exhaust sucks, but really don't know why, and just for argument say only 10 of them actually used the system, and they say it makes less HP and TQ than stock, since on a tuned bike a open pipe generally makes the best power then going the other direction a pipe for whatever reason don't flow enough air is going to make the least power......although I don't know than man personally,  J Cheeses reputation with tuning bikes is in maybe the top 3 in the country, and if he was closer he would have tuned my bike already, I would guess if he don't give someone a technical answer its probably cause he didn't feel like it, and for the record it was not in particular a (Voodoo) system I had it was a (M4) but I'm sure the result would have been the same, also for the record, no matter what pipe I would have used, I was pissed at myself for a long time cause the money and time I spent on all the (conventional) hop up stuff was money waisted, as I found out AT, (after turbo)

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
Jesus, only a school teacher would explain shit like that, I think I'l go kick my own ass

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
Jesus, only a school teacher would explain shit like that, I think I'l go kick my own ass
Don't get sucked into the vortex my friend.....
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
Rocketgeezer-You're the only one of those guys who bothered to give any kind of real answer-and again, thanks. And I'm not about to insult J Cheese's knowledge or reputation. If he didn't feel like giving a technical answer, then why bother to answer at all? Like I said, it wouldn't take any more effort to answer my question as to blow it off. I suppose I got the wrong idea about the group. I thought it was a chance to SHARE knowledge.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
Don't get sucked into the vortex my friend.....

:lol: :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
I do know they(the tips)sound like shit,a friend bought a Busa with the HooDoo tips and sounded so bad I didn't want to ride near him for fear someone might think that racket was coming from mine(seriously). :lol:

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
Yeah, and I like loud, but not deafening. I presently have Hot Bodies megaphone slip-ons to the stock exhaust that are pleasant to my ears. I know they don't boost the power any...sound cool though.

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 03:57:54 PM »
Yeah, and I like loud, but not deafening. I presently have Hot Bodies megaphone slip-ons to the stock exhaust that are pleasant to my ears. I know they don't boost the power any...sound cool though.
:hys: Of course you do :tu:
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
It mainly has to do with flow and pulse separation. You need a certain exhaust length and primary tube size to make power with the combination you have. EVERY combination is different. vodoo fits into NO combination.

Happy now?
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline Bearusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
Happy

Offline clearblue

• Rider
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
Glad your Happy !   If you are the Block Boggie around the hood kinda guy than that kinda pipe is for you  :D Exhaust tips of any kind make less HP and more noise due in part to loss of back pressure and a whole list of other things .

Offline Amode

• Rider
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »
First of all I do not believe a four into I system. Then what ever system you run you have to have a happy motor. What I mean by that is a good tune. So what you should do is talk to a guy like the Cheese and get a Happy Motor. Then if you really want a good running and happy motor you should think about a 18/40 combo like I run. All this BS about pipes is BS Its in The Tune, The Motor. Then the GR. Oh I have a brand new 43 sprocket if you want to stay in the back, From there the view always looks the same.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 07:51:55 AM »
First of all I do not believe a four into I system. Then what ever system you run you have to have a happy motor. What I mean by that is a good tune. So what you should do is talk to a guy like the Cheese and get a Happy Motor. Then if you really want a good running and happy motor you should think about a 18/40 combo like I run. All this BS about pipes is BS Its in The Tune, The Motor. Then the GR. Oh I have a brand new 43 sprocket if you want to stay in the back, From there the view always looks the same.
WTF are you talking about, I know some OK dudes from Cali, so I cant blame the state, but if you went to any sort college or trade school, you might want to go get your money back

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
 :hys:

Offline Amode

• Rider
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
 :hys:

Offline Amode

• Rider
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
WTF are you talking about, I know some OK dudes from Cali, so I cant blame the state, but if you went to any sort college or trade school, you might want to go get your money back

So I can buy a Harley.