Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Elvington Top Speed World Wheelie Event August 16/17th.  (Read 10814 times)

Offline Ken 12r

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Re: Elvington Top Speed World Wheelie Event August 16/17th.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Not a good signal on site but I am back home now.
As expected it was windy with a strong West/West North West tailwind that seemed to drop and veer suddenly pushing a lot of the top speed bikes off line but apart from a few drops of rain it stayed dry but cool at 60/65F.
Opening shots in the normally aspirated class saw Mika Syren (speeduck) from Finland run a class best in the mile of 226.3 mph followed by Barry Miller with a best of 208.2 mph both on big motor busas.They put the aspirated bikes away then to have runs on Turbo busas.
In the nitrous class Pete Williams long time competitor in drag racing finally got his 200mph ticket age 73 with a 202.4 mph on Saturday backed up on Sunday with a 203.1 mph.
In the turbo Class Becci (angelpaws) Ellis opened with a 246.8 mph followed by an amazing 260.4 mph that just blew everybody away it looked like a perfect run from her
Jack Frost was next up and ran a 254.9 mph to bump his mile speed followed by 251.9 mph.
Les Marsh (Gixxer Les) ran a best of 238.7 mph with a 236.1 mph as a back up. Mika Syren warmed his turbo up with a 235.1 mph run.
I managed a 229.7 mph but suffered another chain adjuster failure at about 130mph that flicked the chain off but did no other damage apart from a few scratches,Fixed that issue properly now so it should not happen again.
Dave Taylor (tinkerbelles husband ) ran a stout 219.9 mph on his own bike to bump his mile speed a little but also ran by special request 144.5 mph with his 89 year old mother on the back who only wanted to exceed 100mph for the first time as a birthday present,she made an excellent pillion Dave said later.
Paul Brookes ran a 207 mph on his new build busa turbo and Barry Beadle ran 207 on his turbo busa James Deegan entered the club with several runs over with a best of 205.1 mph mph.
Brock O'Lee from New York over for the Wheelies borrowed a Holeshot turbo busa to run 230.1 mph and Paddy O'Sullivan from Ireland ran 213.9 mph on a GSXR 1000 turbo as did Ted Brady also Irish and Egg Van Popta ran 201.3 mph on two wheels ans 198mph terminal after keeping the front up for a Kilometre blasting the Wheelie record apart.

Offline Ken 12r

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
After an overnight shower in between strong winds same direction averaging 20 to 22mph but gusting over 30 at times it was decided at the riders briefing to watch the weather and stop if it looked like getting worse but again from a few drops the rain kept away and temperature increased to 67F.
No rider other than &3 year old Pete Williams ran any faster than Saturday but in the Turbo class things moved on.
Becci ran a 257.9 mph followed by 261.6 mph and finished fith an incredible 264.1 mph to win the event.
Jack ran a best of 260.4 mph with 5 runs over 250 mph. and Mika 257.9 late in the day after a few issues like a cracked front disc and a failed on board air pump but he go there in the end.
I bumped my PB by 1 mph 234.6 mph but should of gone faster.
Dave Taylor took some advice off the wife and increased is mile speed to 223.5mph on a taxed and insured turbo street bike with a small Big CC kit.
(Racy) Tracy Farnell managed to get her partners ZX12r turbo up to 213.1 mph and later Dazz Rose managed 202 on the same bike
Zef Eisenberg ran an amazing 224.9 mph on a NAKED gas turbine bike in a streetfighter style which I think must be a record.
Paul Brookes bumped his mile speed again to 212.2 mphand James Deegan bumped his Saturday speed to 207 mph.
Egg Van Popta managed 199.4 for the new Guinness World record Wheelie,so close.

Becci is now the all comers standing start mile record holder for the UK.

Now before the naysayers start with the usual tailwind/gust of God etc.etc. the fact is that the wind made it very hard work at times with some bikes leaving the lane and it was a wide lane as we only ran one solely because of that wind which swirled from tail to 30 degree side according to my wind and weather station and even that got blown off the tripod once until it was ballasted.
The fact is it took a lot to run at speed in the conditions because it was unpredictable and if you were lucky enough to get a steady period it was your friend and if it veered it caused many runs to be aborted.
If you were there to take advantage of it great if you were not well theres always next year.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:40:24 PM by Ken 12r »

Offline Mike-Nightrider

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »
Thanks for the report Ken and congrats to all the fast riders :tu: :tu: :tu:
Dragraceteam NIGHTRIDER
1/8: 5.101s..........1/4: 7.801s
227.7mph Woodbridge/GB 2013

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Great writeup Ken. Thank you for taking the time and compiling all the speeds into a nice article.

Fantastic runs from many riders. Two above 260 during the same weekend and a third just shy of that number.  Outstanding.

Any wind comments are nonsense. This is how fast these riders went. That is the nature of this particular sport. 

I'm so happy to see our sisters and brothers across the Atlantic are doing so well. It appears we (USA) have regressed some in the last couple of years even though we have a couple of all out builds lurking in the shadows
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:13:07 AM by Wolf1397 »

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »
Congrats Becci on a new UK record and fastest female record!  :thumb:

Also congrats to everyone with a new personal best...  :beechug:
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 07:05:10 AM »
Ken,

Thanks for the fantastic write up!! Also congrats on your new personal best.

Also I would like to say congratulations to everyone that achieved a record and/or a new personal best.  :tu:
Looks like I've got some updates to make on "the list."

Thanks for keeping us all up to date.

Ryan
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:17:35 AM by osti33 »
2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline Ken 12r

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
I would have liked to update you all from the track but the signal on my phone was rubbish and the laptop battery was being flattened with the data logging so I need to get the generator fired up next time which at the moment is Woodbridge 27th 28th September but this sadly is in doubt due to lack of interest. We might get one more mid week at Elvington 21st October.