Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Burping Radiator system  (Read 7440 times)

Offline BUSABOYSA

• Rider
Burping Radiator system
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:35:05 AM »
Hi guys. I need your advice, what is the best way to burp my Gen 1 busa, any special trick or is there a device that can do it for me I fill her up, push pipes lean it to the left to the right,  fill up and keep doing this, run with cap on till fan comes on and then let it cool down, then check levels and repeat o joy.

I did a track day the other day, could only do  laps and then overflow bottle is boiling over p overflow pipe to ground, I leave it to cool down and sucks water back, so I don't believe it can be a blown head gasket. Please help as I am at wits end and about to burn the bike to the ground. Just hope there is a device that can help and remove all the air pockets. Could the head gasket be a problem? Could I take the bike to a radiator place and see if they can put the dye in or sample the water and check for hydrocarbons.

Thanks Dylan

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: Burping Radiator system
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:53:51 AM »
When changing the coolant I add to the bottom most hose into the motor until overfilling.  Button up that hose and then add to the radiator until almost to the top.  Fire up the motor and watch the coolant level drop in the radiator a bit and fill back up to the bottom of the filler neck.  Keep watching until the thermostat opens and draws radiator water into the motor and the water in the motor exchanges.  You'll see the radiator level drop again.  After it exchanges, fill to the bottom of the filler neck and replace the cap.  There should be no air bubbles.  Most tracks prefer (some require) that water wetter is to be used instead of coolant.  Less hazard for other riders when spilled onto the track.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline BUSABOYSA

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »
Will give that a try. Just about had it with this thing.

Offline Roger Hayes

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
 :DI have a tool I made to help with bleeding air from cooling systems. Take an old radiator cap and cut a 1" hole in the centre of it and lose the spring and seal etc. Then weld a piece of exhaust pipe on the top of the cap,  bigger diameter than the hole, about an inch in height. Take a piece of large diameter clear plastic hose about one foot long and fit it to the tube with a hose clamp. Fit the apparatus to the radiator using a suitable seal (large o ring?) and this creates so much more head height to the system and encourages air to rise to the top. When filling the system, fill it half way up the clear hose extension. As the air comes to the top keep topping it up. When the air stops coming, the system is ready to close up with a good cap. I work as a mechanic in the car repair game here in New Zealand, and most mechanics have this tool. Ya can't buy them over the counter so we have to make them for ourselves. It is also a 'window' into the cooling system, you are able to see streams of small bubbles if there is a h/gasket problem and as you raise and lower the engine revs you can see the coolant level raising and lowering, showing the waterpump working or not working as well as it should. Any questions, fire away!
" I am the third party representative for the Legal Fiction Corporation 'Roger Hayes', you can call me Roger."

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:34:13 AM »
Just rock the bike, and lean it over etc. There shouldn't be a problem.  If there is you have another problem.   Cap, pump, clogged rad etc.

Offline LVBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »
Takes a couple leans, but I fill to top of cap. Then replace cap and start motor. Lean hard left like 45 degrees, then right same angle then shut off motor and check level. Repeat. After second time, run for a few minutes and watch temp gauge. Throttle up and down gently to about 2500 then back to idle a few times.  Shut off motor and check fluid level at cap turning halfway to relieve pressure. Then look at level. Top off and repeat.  They're a little temperamental but you should stop getting the boil over thing and the temp should stabilize at idle.  Also helps to run on side stand, not rear stand as it raises the radiator cap. While running, if it starts to boil over shut off engine, fill reservoir, then repeat above. You'll get the bubbles out.
Amsoil Synthetics / Race Ready Painted Inner Panels / Bagster Tank Protector & Tank Bags / Hump Mod / ZG Double Bubble / Mirror Spacers / +1/2" dogbones / EK ZZZ 530 / Michelin Pilot Road 5's / TL 1000R Pegs / EBC HH Pads / Corbin Saddles /

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:36:53 AM »
i dont get it, i change the coolant on my 99 every winter, plus the times i had the engine torn down to do work, i have maybe change it 25 times or so and NEVER had any problems with air pockets, what r u guys doing?? when i refill the system i keep adding till it wont take no more, ill let it sit and if it goes down i add again, i then bring it up to temp let it cool and add as needed, no air pocket problem
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Online sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
i dont get it, i change the coolant on my 99 every winter, plus the times i had the engine torn down to do work, i have maybe change it 25 times or so and NEVER had any problems with air pockets, what r u guys doing?? when i refill the system i keep adding till it wont take no more, ill let it sit and if it goes down i add again, i then bring it up to temp let it cool and add as needed, no air pocket problem

:thumb:

I never understood the issues either. The hayabusa has a built in bleed on top of the water pump housing (hose going down to the water pump).

The only way I could see issues is if folks are just willing the overflow tank rather than the actual radiator. I've never seen anything with an issue.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline superdave

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »

I have experienced this issue on one of my roadrace bikes (237rwhp-GSXR1000) and it was not the cooling system- it was the fuel pump. 

Bike can start and run fine for a short period of time, then fuel pressure starts falling and engine temps rise very quickly !!!!! 

Never had an issue with any coolant systems not burping, also get that water out of the engine.... use Evans.

Offline BUSABOYSA

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 05:56:17 AM »
SBR, I did not have an issue before the track day ( not drags but laps around our circuit here, since then I have had this issue so just trying to get some thoughts on if I am doing it wrong or is there another issue causing this problem now. Thanks for everyones thoughts