Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: My 2001 4000 miles busa won't start after its warmed up.  (Read 5362 times)

Offline BusaBailey

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
My 2001 4000 miles busa won't start after its warmed up.
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:39:52 AM »
Hi everyone , I'm having a little trouble with the love of my life,  I bought it from a friend of mine who said the 2001, 4000 miles  hayabusa has sat in the garage unused ever since , its mine if i want it, so obviously i bought it , now , the same fuel has sat in the tank , air in the tyres, oil, blah blah blah.
Last year was my time to put life back into her, I did everything that was needed, without skimping on the cost, she drives beautifully,  however once the bike is warm , say i go to a friends house and have a cup of Tea, (I'm from the UK :D ) come out after 60 minutes or so , key goes in and over she turns and over and over and over again, it won't start , no coughing or spluttering , just engine spins over without anything happening.
its at this point i have to jump start the thing, a little run then jump and off she goes... good as gold again.. so obviously I've got to the stage that I have no confidence ion the bike now.
I have searched to find a solution and so far this is what i have come up with..
1) remove the AIT sensor as it appears to be factory placed in the wrong place in the Air box, simple fix. or
2) replace the battery, this one seems to me a bit bizzar but hey , simple cheap fix too.
Has anyone else had this problem ?  is there a fix ?  have I missed something on the restore..any help would be appreciated . thanks all.

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: My 2001 4000 miles busa won't start after its warmed up.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
its odd that it wont start normally but if u jump start it by popping it into gear it will????
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
I'd start by checking for spark when it's not starting.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »
Look to see if it is getting the necessary voltage at the ECU when cranking the starter.
I have seen this on electronic controls where the starter draws enough voltage away from the ECU so it doesn't start.
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline superdave

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
Battery

Offline BusaBailey

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
Update guys.......I noticed a lot of interest stating battery problems, i ran the bike in the garage for 20 mins, temperature really hot, turned it off then left it for 10 mins, re started and it seemed a little slow on the startup, i.e. not enough charge in the battery, so i ran it again for another 10 mins with the lights on and full beam , then switched off , left,  restarted , wouldn't really turn over , i.e. shot battery. so , a new battery is for purchase this winter... its not over as yet but thanks for all your help.

Offline Flash Jorden

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »
I've owned 2 Busa, an '05 and now an '02. Both are very hard to start once the engine/starter gets hot. On a hot summer day, or if I'm stuck in stop and go traffic, I have to be very careful not to stall the engine. Otherwise I'm stuck with a bike that turns over very slowly during cranking. Sometimes I'm lucky enough that by turning the key off, then on again, it will crank faster. Other times I have to wait 1-2 hours for her to cool off. Giant pain in the ass. New battery, with a full charge does not resolve the heat problem. I think I remember reading that the problem is the starter. Once it gets hot, it doesn't perform properly.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Update guys.......I noticed a lot of interest stating battery problems, i ran the bike in the garage for 20 mins, temperature really hot, turned it off then left it for 10 mins, re started and it seemed a little slow on the startup, i.e. not enough charge in the battery, so i ran it again for another 10 mins with the lights on and full beam , then switched off , left,  restarted , wouldn't really turn over , i.e. shot battery. so , a new battery is for purchase this winter... its not over as yet but thanks for all your help.
Please clarify, do I understand that this is a 2001 bike and has the original battery?...I'm asking cause 4 to 5 years is about it for a bike battery, if they go that long, also ck your charging system as it would be while riding, light on any accessory's on, at 2000 to 2500 rpm you should be around 14.0 volts at the battery, if it is not start checking why, and if you do get a battery ck around, a very good battery a lot better than the factory can be had for a lot less cost
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does