Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Turbo Hayabusa build, 1.5L -- 2.0L, suggestions?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Mike Borders

• Rider
Turbo Hayabusa build, 1.5L -- 2.0L, suggestions?
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:06:36 PM »
Hey, Guys,

We recently acquired this nice little Hayabusa-powered Roadster:

Currently, it has a 1.3L turbo Hayabusa motor, but we also want to build a second motor in the above engine range to run it in a different class.  We have a bone stock 2009 motor in like new condition that will serve as the base for this new build.  We are looking for input from you all, whom we consider the experts in this field (having seen your bikes perform at the Mojave Mile!) on the best options for displacement, turbo size, etc. for the Roadster.  The car weighs in at just over 2000 pounds and with the current motor making around 380 HP it is a (barely) 200 mph car, having run 195 on it's last pass before breaking a header and ending the pass early.  For the new motor, reliability is a higher priority than horsepower, but we would like to run, at least initially, in the 500-600 HP range.

As you all know, Bonneville was a total loss this year, so we could not attempt a "red hat" run, but we are looking ahead for next year.  We welcome all input and suggestions, publicly or privately, on our inquiry.

This car will definitely run at the Magnum next April, in prep for the El Mirage and Bonneville season for 2015.  Our 400 HP Gixxer bike will also debut at the Magnum, with our favorite Chief of Tech, Blaine Spendlove, over the seat.  You guys are like family to us, and we hope to learn from you on this.

Mike B.

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
Re: Turbo Hayabusa build, 1.5L -- 2.0L, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
Give Scott Horner a call. :D
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Mike Borders

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »
Already did -- his will be one of many inputs I wish to collect.  Thanks!

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:48:16 AM »
Hey, Guys,  We recently acquired this nice little Hayabusa-powered Roadster:

... Bonneville was a total loss this year...
Mike B.

Mike,
SpeedWeek was a total loss, but TFA sure had a ball at World Of Speed. 
Our new Lakester with it's lil crate V8 did just fine. 
Like yr Roadster, it didn't go much past 200 but more hp may be in its future.

My partner & I are basically "bike guys", i.e. we still have 4 wheels between us.

Are you planning on any salt in 2015?
Karl

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:57:25 AM by entropy »
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »
Mike nice car
we run a 83mm bore with gen 2 crank to get us in 1650 class and hopefully not compromise on reliability too much from head gasket surface area loss 
big studs,cometic gasket on the bike at Jims and o ring and receiver groove copper gasket with 10mm studs on the one here  , both seem to hold up well
Cars put more strain on the cases than bikes, couple i have worked on both had fretting on the case halves when i first opened them up so switched to case studs , being very particular about the lower case half stud clearance

Official Site Donor

Offline Mike Borders

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »
Oz,

I'm confused....your specs equal a 1407cc configuration, and we need to be at least 1524 for our "G" engine class in the Roadster.  Did I miss something?

Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:57:59 PM by Mike Borders »

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
Ok i missed something , your class is different to what i am used to , but on a turbo motor i would make up the difference with stroke and not bore it further than 83mm unless you get a offset bore block

Knecum would be your best big motor go to guy
Official Site Donor