Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Are swingarm extensions safe for mile racing?  (Read 5041 times)

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
Are swingarm extensions safe for mile racing?
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
I'd like to lengthen the WB on my Gen II to get a harder launch at Mojave next April but don't want to get an extended swingarm. I'm talking going up maybe 4 inches or so.
Has anyone used the bolt-on extensions without any issues? If so is there a brand that you would recommend? Most appear to be for cosmetic purposes and I don't know how well they would take the abuse.
Thank you
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Are swingarm extensions safe for mile racing?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
From what I have seen over the years they seem to work fine, as long as its a good heavy duty design, and not just a decoration to hang the wheel on, if you have a 360 tire of course not, they have custom swingarms anyways, and if your running a 400+ horsepower dragbike with a real sticky slick, and a prepped track that's another thing, don't think I'd trust them that far, but for LSR and most street legal machines, that you may race every now and then they work great, and last but not least if extentions are all you have the money for, and your paranoid about them breaking have them welded on,
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
Used them on the Bonneville bike, More weight on the bike than a couple of fat chicks  :D, ran 5 miles near or above 200 40 or 50 times with no issues.  Most are made with more meat than your swingarm, work your way up in speed to be sure you have not introduced a handling issue.
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline KZScott

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
so far so good on these. had the bike on a tire warmer and got a little too much throttle/boost in first and pulled a big wheelie on 1 run...

01 ZX-12R 8.84 @ 156.3 on dot tires, pump gas, NO power adders.... turbo 8.47 @ 164
00 ZX-12R 8.62 @ 165.2 no bars, slicks, Pump Gas, 55 shot... turbo 8.32 @ 173
00 ZX-12R  1: 222.046 1.5: 226.390 Loring AFB Worlds Fastest NA Kawasaki
00 ZX-12R street turbo 1: 227.9 1.5: 234.1 Loring AFB
00 ZX-12R LSR turbo 1: 263.1  1.5: 266.5 Loring AFB Worlds fastest ZX-12R
Fabricator/Engine builder @ RCC Turbos

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
It looks like they will be okay for my set up, I don't have near that amount of power.
Who makes a good quality product?
Thanks for the input :tu:
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
Exotic. There was a set on psychobike.com last week.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:33:25 AM »
Make sure that you bring your stock set up with you.  I've seen too many guys with long arms struggle with traction on the unprepped pavement.  I know you aren't planning on going real long, but I'm just sayin'

Tom

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »
Thanks Tom, loading up on the ballast weight right now for traction. The barrel aged beers available at this time of year really pack it on me! :beechug:

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
You funny guy :hys:

Offline 05calibusa

• Rider
    • BusaBob's Racing
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:25 AM »
Ha...keep drinking those beers.  I think you need at least 30-40 more lbs of ballast  :hys:
Mojave Mile 2014 - 205.6 mph
Mojave Magnum 2015 - 207.1 mph
BusaBob's Racing
https://sites.google.com/site/busabobsracing/home

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »
It's all about the launch.  :thumb:

But, on a more serious note...

Good quality extensions (I have used Spencer Cycle with great results) are more than up to the task of 1-mile racing. In fact, there is much less strain on the extensions in the mile, as compared to their intended use, drag racing. That being said, there are some crappy extensions out there. I would suggest sticking with a trusted brand, as opposed to rolling the dice with some Ebay cheapos.

Extending the wheelbase does a couple of things that may or may not enhance your LSR experience. A big plus is that a little wheelbase can really enhance stability. A drawback, however, can be reduced traction. I have seen long bikes spin the tire at very high speed. There really is very little traction on the runways. Typical drag racing tires (such as Shinko) are not really appropriate for LSR.

Shane
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:22:37 AM by Warp12 »