Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: turbo or supercharger?  (Read 5775 times)

Offline mcclay811

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
turbo or supercharger?
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:35:10 PM »
Debating on witch one to get

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: turbo or supercharger?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
There are certainly more turbo applications to draw from, many many rider's and tuner's experiences but personally if I were to soup up my Busa or CBX for that matter I'd look into supercharging them.  I've always preferred them in car applications.  Instantaneous oomph, not the slightest spool up time loss.  I realize these days that turbos have gone through a lot of upgrading in operation and longevity so the safe bet would be to go with a turbo with a moderate but adjustable boost.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline moparict

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »
Both :tu:

Offline #1busa

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »
^^^Agreed  :tu:

Put a turbo & a supercharger on your busa!!!   :hys:

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
Turbo is slick, and after redegreeing my cams, my boost comes on very low, and is so predictable. I've had superchargers on vehicles, and liked them for coming on low, but after having a turbo on my Busa, I'd say it's perfect! And don't have aftermarket cams, because you won't like how the boost comes on abruptly and at a high rpm due to cam overlap. It's useless and scary as hell! 
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
If the supercharger kits available for motorcycles have been developed to the point that turbos have I would say in a minuit go with the supercharger, while they may be ok I just cannot get behind a setup until it has been repeatedly proven, and to me the superchargers up to this point have not............that all being said if I had the money to take a chance, I would have tried the supercharger instead of the turbo, even though I have mine running like a clock right now...........the big difference in riding/driving like a drag car, for instance is with a blower, you hammer the gas from idle and it instantly trys to run out from under you, with a turbo you hit it from idle and in SOME cases you could have a sandwich waiting for boost and until boost comes in you may as well be on your lawnmower, nearly all the the stage1 kits for bikes have no real turbo lag issue also while I have not ridden a supercharged busa but I have a supercharged Harley, and I got to say that Harley would give a stock busa a real argument up to 130 or 140 or so, now that I've had my say........Get a RCC kit follow his instructions to the letter and enjoy
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
If the supercharger kits available for motorcycles have been developed to the point that turbos have I would say in a minuit go with the supercharger, while they may be ok I just cannot get behind a setup until it has been repeatedly proven, and to me the superchargers up to this point have not............that all being said if I had the money to take a chance, I would have tried the supercharger instead of the turbo, even though I have mine running like a clock right now...........the big difference in riding/driving like a drag car, for instance is with a blower, you hammer the gas from idle and it instantly trys to run out from under you, with a turbo you hit it from idle and in SOME cases you could have a sandwich waiting for boost and until boost comes in you may as well be on your lawnmower, nearly all the the stage1 kits for bikes have no real turbo lag issue also while I have not ridden a supercharged busa but I have a supercharged Harley, and I got to say that Harley would give a stock busa a real argument up to 130 or 140 or so, now that I've had my say........Get a RCC kit follow his instructions to the letter and enjoy
:thumb:
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
To add to what Rocketgeezer said I think you're also going to find the turbo kits less expensive if that's a concern.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »
My supercharged Busa was a one off and it worked very well.
I went down the reliability route rather than outright power, with $20k worth of titanium inside me any off could be lethal.
The biggest issue of taking the pulley drive off the end of the crank is the use of a rotary engine seal, I doesn't work that well and its a weakness.
Kawasaki have done the right thing by taking a gear drive from between the middle two cylinders to drive the blower which is positioned behind the barrels.

Although I've never ridden a turbo bike so can't comment on them, but the instant bang of high power on the throttle from a supercharger has to be experienced. Yet at the same time the bike had glitch free chocolatey thick power from 40mph to max speed in 6th gear.

Rides just like a road bike with lots more power all through the rev range.
Front wheel came up easy on the throttle at any speed even with a 5" stretch and my bulk on it.
It was insane fun. Can't tell you half of the fun.

There was an era when bikes were about being different.
Try a supercharger, be different, have fun.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:40:24 PM by HOS »
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline gsx-rboy750

• Authorized Shop
  • Post Master
  • Ok. So sometime I can be a little full of myself.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
DAS has it pretty well figured out.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:21 AM »

GBNF

Offline buzard

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 02:36:21 AM »
DAS went back to a turbo
Next up is a Great Lakes Race craft turbo setup with a NLR billet plenum for 2015

NLR GEN X POWERED/RCC INTERCOOLED PROSTREET BUSA
ONE BAD ASS 02 BLACK 565 HP RCC ULTRA BUSA
turbo 85 1150 scary ride
turbo 01 bandit 220 hp mr. turbo kit
turbo 01 busa 320 hp hahn stage 3
turbo 03 zx12r velocity stage 2
turbo 03 busa nlr gen 1 rac

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
Gorgeous looking bike HOS. My absolute favorite color combination of all Busas.

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
Debating on witch one to get

Another consideration if you decide to go the supercharged route is to pick if you you want to use a centrifugal style or roots type unit. I believe all kits are the former. But Kawasaki is using roots type blowers in their 310 hp jet skis. Could be a fun project. I can attest to absolutely no waiting when hitting the throttle in that application.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:28 AM »
Gorgeous looking bike HOS. My absolute favorite color combination of all Busas.

Thanks mate  :thumb:
Yes that blue and black is one of the most popular combos.