Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Have a few Q's about purchase  (Read 2691 times)

Offline txz0603

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
Have a few Q's about purchase
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »
About to buy 1st busa. Ive been riding for over 20 years so its not my first bike or 1st sport bike. Last bike was a built 04 1000RR. I do have a few questions about some of the bikes im looking at that are more busa specific.

THe bikes in question are a 00 with 12k miles. Although the owner says he bought it in Toyoko in 07, seems like it dont ad up but what do i know. (blue title)

Second is an 06 with 40k miles. (blue title)
Third is an 07 with 8k miles. (rebuilt title)

All have varying mods from lowered, stretched, exhaust, air filters and such. no engine mods to speak of.

My question is this, what are the things to look out for when dealing with these specific bikes. Also is any one better than the other when regarding the year vs mileage or all the above. Thank you

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
Re: Have a few Q's about purchase
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:31:43 AM »
Although the motors and gearboxes on these are robust, service history is important. Regular oil changes etc.
Low mileage older bikes are not unusual or more recent high mileage bikes.
40k is not a lot on a Busa as long as its been regularly serviced and oil level maintained.

With modified air filters and race exhausts, they should have been remapped for fuelling to avoid fuelling issues which over time can cause engine damage.

Not many factory recall's except the cam chain tensioner on early models which should be logged with Suzuki US. I think it was pre 2001?

Check: chain, sprocket, tyre, pads and brake rotor wear, they do eat em.
The Busa is tyre sensitive and even slight wear on the front can make the bike feel unsettled on the road. They eat tyres anyway like you wouldn't imagine.
A rear tyre can easily go in 1000 miles and I found I used two rear tyres to one front.
It's not uncommon to go out for a days riding with tyre tread and come home with metal showing, so watch out on that score. The bikes are heavy (compared to pure sports bikes) and powerful, combined with hard throttle use and a chunky rider and you're into major tyre usage.

On early models they had a rough vibration patch at about 3500 revs and also a false neutral between 5th and 6th on some bikes. You just have to remember to make a positive 5th to 6th change.

The graphics aren't great and panel replacement is costly for OE parts.
The bodywork is a snug fit or should be. This is for the aerodynamics on a 200mph bike. Big panel gaps or badly aligned panels could mean its been on its side and got straightness issues or just poorly fitted panels.
I tend to get the bike upright on a paddock stand or get someone to hold it and then stand right behind the bike and check the lines of it for straightness. Tail unit, cans, bodywork, wheels etc.

A small but significant issue on older bikes is the pad retaining pins in the frontbrake calipers can weld themselves in place and require some major shifting. The old differential metal corrosion syndrome and they do literally weld themselves in! I almost broke a calliper hammering the pin out on a 38k miles unloved Busa I bought.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:08:16 PM by HOS »
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:40:51 AM »
More.
The early bike had the 220mph speedo which has kudos, later bikes had 180mph speedo.
Shouldn't be going that fast !  :lol: but you will try it. Once. Once more. Then maybe once more again. ....And again etc.....

Offline txz0603

• New User!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:41:39 AM »
Thanks for the replys. I will give those areas a lot of attention. As for tires, I guess I should take stock in them as I am a bigger rider @230lbs. Not as young anymore, my racetrack days are over. Just want to ride again. A head on collision a few years back ended my last bike. This on is more for touring with the wife. Anyhow, thanks again for responding.

Jerry

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
It's a pleasure.

I think the Busa is the finest all round motorcycle ever built. It is comfortable for larger riders and the pillion seat is a decent size with a two handed grab rail if needed.
It's a pussy cat to ride around town, a long distance GT and a drag strip monster all in one.

I can't ride a Busa anymore because of worsening spinal injuries from a few years ago.
But they are the best.
I've had 5 of them since they first came out, but I ride sit up bikes now.
Not cruisers, but proper street bikes.

Let us know when you decide which one to get?  :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:09:58 PM by HOS »

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:28:26 AM »
save a bit more and pick up a gen2