Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 2709 times)

Offline 2WARP1

• Rider
Reality Check
« on: December 29, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »
Was watching t.v. this morning, the Discovery Wings Channel...they were doing a segment on air rescue.  It was centered around the San Gabriel mountains (think that was the name), in California.  They said due to the nature of the road, lots of sportbike riders use it to test how quick they can go from point A to point B.  Most of their customers are the riders.  They often hit material in the road, lose control...or worse!  They focused on two accidents...one...a rider went off the road, over a bank into some rocks.  He ended-up with a broken back, 5 broken ribs, lacerations, bruises, and a punctured eye...but he survived.  The next rider went over a cliff...fell several hundred feet.  When they got to him and checked his vitals...the paramedics figured he was dead for about 20 minutes.  It was quite sobering to watch them put the rider in a body bag. The cameraman briefly showed the bike...it appeared to be a GSXR, and was in pretty good shape considering the fall...sad the same couldn't be said for the owner.  Point is...no matter how good we think we might be...we need to use that gray matter between the ears...think ahead...and be careful!  Ride safe guys...and gals...  
"Warp one Mr. Sulu"

Offline luap

• Post Master
    • http://www.gtorockz.com
Reality Check
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 09:11:00 PM »

It's true: we always think "that won't happen to me. I'm too careful/skilled/lucky/cool (pick one).

It took me 30 years of riding all kinds of bikes on all kinds of roads to finally bite it. Damn lucky to be here actually. But it can happen at any time. So, ride fast if you want to (I still do) but brake a little earlier, look through the corner - not directly in front of you, and above all leave yourself an "out". I don't wanna sound preachy, but goddamm it hurts like hell when you hit an immovable object.    
Not convinced? Try this: walk up to a tree, face the tree and lean your head back, then ram you face into the tree as hard as you can. Think that hurts?    Try it at 100mph.
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

Offline riddler

• Rider
Reality Check
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 02:47:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 2WARP1:
Was watching t.v. this morning, the Discovery Wings Channel...they were doing a segment on air rescue.  It was centered around the San Gabriel mountains (think that was the name), in California.  They said due to the nature of the road, lots of sportbike riders use it to test how quick they can go from point A to point B.  Most of their customers are the riders.  They often hit material in the road, lose control...or worse!  They focused on two accidents...one...a rider went off the road, over a bank into some rocks.  He ended-up with a broken back, 5 broken ribs, lacerations, bruises, and a punctured eye...but he survived.  The next rider went over a cliff...fell several hundred feet.  When they got to him and checked his vitals...the paramedics figured he was dead for about 20 minutes.  It was quite sobering to watch them put the rider in a body bag. The cameraman briefly showed the bike...it appeared to be a GSXR, and was in pretty good shape considering the fall...sad the same couldn't be said for the owner.  Point is...no matter how good we think we might be...we need to use that gray matter between the ears...think ahead...and be careful!  Ride safe guys...and gals...  

wise words.      

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
Reality Check
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 06:15:00 AM »
I agree 100%.  

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
Reality Check
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »
My .02 on this subject... get out on the track.  Doesn't matter what, drag racing, land speed, road course.  No cops, critters or cagers  

I'm going to put together a track bike in '04 so that I can do more road course days and leave my 'Busa for cruising and drag racing.  

Offline luap

• Post Master
    • http://www.gtorockz.com
Reality Check
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »
Getting to the track presents 3 problems:
1) Finding a track within a reasonable driving distance
2) Trying to get time on the track when it isn't booked up with cars
3) Coming up with the extra cash to spend a worthwhile amount of time there.

I'm sure that some of you are lucky enough that one or even both of these are not a problem, but the closest track for me is Watkins Glen (which I did 1 wet lap on once with my '00 Busa) and the cost of track time is insane. That's if they will even consider bikes. When I asked them about it they said they are constantly booked with cars.
I envy those of you who get to enjoy track time on a regular basis. If there are other upstate New Yorkers here who know of available track time please post  
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

Offline XTREEM1

• Post Master
Reality Check
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 11:03:00 PM »
I ride fast on the road, however after a few years of track days and such I have found that if I can get to the track once a month or so then I ride slower on the public roads, this is a road coarse not the strip. I am going to race next year so that maybe I will quit racing on the road, too many friends get hurt trying to hang with someone better than them.
God Hates Cowards

Online RansomT

• Post Master
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
Holly Crap Batman!  :eek:     This thread is over 11 years old!   Is the west coast behind that much?   :clown: :clown: :clown:
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350