Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Oversized Buckets Question  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
Oversized Buckets Question
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »
I know this has been discussed but all of the threads I found were very old and didn't answer my questions exactly.

How much lift can I get away with with the stock buckets on an '06 ZX14?  I'm looking at around a .405" lift.

Should I go with the 28 or 28.5mm buckets?

Who is doing the machine work and how much?

Anybody got some buckets that they want to sell?

Thanks,

Tom

Offline krex

• Rider
Re: Oversized Buckets Question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
Contact Jim at competitioncnc.com.  I believe his limit with stock buckets was right at .400 and he mostly installs 29mm zx10  buckets. It's fairly costly and really only worth it if you use big cams.

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »
Thanks. 

Jim replied to a post on one of the ZX14 forums and filled me in on all of the skinny.

I just need to give him a shout and find out the particulars.

Thanks again for the info.

Tom

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:16:01 AM »
Tom,
Looks like RC's Performance may do it. They put Hayabusa buckets in GSXR1000s. Ain't cheap.
http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/RCs_CNC_Ported_Head_p/rcs%20gsxr%20cnc%20ported%20head.htm
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Ozonkiller

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
Problem solved.

I have the machinery, just wasn't sure if I had the skills.  Turns out I do 8)

Tom

Offline MJ Williams

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
Schwing!! :thumb: :thumb:
Have a Harley, spent lots of money on it, thought I had a fast motorcycle, bought a Busa, realized all I had was a fast Harley, not a fast motorcycle!

Offline Competition CNC

• Rider
    • CompetitionCNC.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:11 AM »
Ive found the lift limit is about .400" but it really is more about the duration and lift at about .185" lift.
This number can vary depending on the major and minor intensities of the profile of the lobe.

If you have low major and minor intensity numbers (aggressive ramp rates) then it can be under .400" lift cam.
Or if the cam is "soft" then you can get away with .405" lift cams but in general for a zx-14 with stock buckets we stay with .395"/.378"max.

Once we put 29mm buckets in the problem goes away. And the 29mm zx10 bucket is lighter than the 28mm Busa bucket.
Jim