Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2 mod question  (Read 9154 times)

Offline night_ryder

• Rider
2 mod question
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »
I'm wanting to do 2 motor mods this winter and would like your guys input on rather they would be worth the money. I'm wanting to port the head and swap out the exhaust cam for an intake cam. Is it worth doing both or should I just stick with one or the other?

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
Re: 2 mod question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
I would do just the cam swap, stock head flows well enough for stock cams. If you want to upgrade later for higher profiles then porting head can give something on the top.

Offline night_ryder

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
I would do just the cam swap, stock head flows well enough for stock cams. If you want to upgrade later for higher profiles then porting head can give something on the top.

now should I get a stock one or i they adjustable ones? I'm new to this.

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Two intakes and a fifty shot of nitrous ought to do it.
Just trying to do whats right.
Wanna go fast.

Offline #1busa

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
What do you hope to accomplish by doing this? Is there a specific amount of HP you wish 2 achieve or something else from it?

Offline night_ryder

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
What do you hope to accomplish by doing this? Is there a specific amount of HP you wish 2 achieve or something else from it?

just wants some hp gain without spending a bunch of money.

Offline #1busa

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »
Well without going Big bore (1397) or adding a shot of nitrous like previously mentioned the gains you stand 2 make will be minimal @ best and hardly noticeable.

What all other mods have you done to your busa? Other mods that are relatively cheap paired with what you want 2 do may yield better results.

Pair valve removal
Air box mod
BMC race air filter
ECU flash
Full Exhaust
Dyno tuned
Front/Rear sprocket gear change 16/42
R1 throttle tube
Weight reduction (aluminum subframe, lithium battery, etc.)

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:57:24 AM »
http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/build-200-hp-suzuki-hayabusa?image=8

If you are upgrading cams you should try bumping up the comp ratio, timing is essential

Offline night_ryder

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
Well without going Big bore (1397) or adding a shot of nitrous like previously mentioned the gains you stand 2 make will be minimal @ best and hardly noticeable.

What all other mods have you done to your busa? Other mods that are relatively cheap paired with what you want 2 do may yield better results.

Pair valve removal
Air box mod
BMC race air filter
ECU flash
Full Exhaust
Dyno tuned
Front/Rear sprocket gear change 16/42
R1 throttle tube
Weight reduction (aluminum subframe, lithium battery, etc.)

That's what I was wanting to hear. If it is worth it or not money wise. I have done most of the mods you have mention besid e s the air box mod.  I bought a R6 tube, have not installed it yet. I have heard i should have went with the R1 tube instead.

I was just trying to add a some more horse power for the time being, but looks like I will hold off. I plan on building the to either a 1397 or 1441.

Thank for the inout.

Offline #1busa

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »
No problem  :tu:

If you plan riding it primarily on the street I wouldn't go more than a 1397. That recipe has proven reliable with little issues from the rigors of stop & go traffic etc. If you still want more HP I would just fog a small shot of Nos.

Just remember if you go big bore I would get the proper cams and exhaust(ti-force sumo/HMF big bird) to compliment the increase of engine displacement.

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
Lot of guys bolt on NOS kits for easy hp, but you have to decide if you want usable power or just talk about it. I`ve found out that you have to fill NOS bottles all the time when they are so small, and it`s always empty when you want to use it.

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »
Two intake cams with adj gears so you can dial in cam timing is easy swap and will get you a bit more power so why  not do it. Can be done without pulling motor.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline #1busa

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
How much HP would you stand 2 gain from doing just that? 

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
When you put an intake on the exhaust, you have to use an adjustable sprocket. The oem sprocket is not indexed correctly for exhaust use.

Offline night_ryder

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
Has anyone  done this and have any data to as if it is worth doing just the swap?

Offline #1busa

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
That was my point, I don't think doing just an intake swap will make a noticeable difference @ all. Reason I say this is over the summer I had Steve Knecum build my engine  :tu: When it was all said and done I gained 25+HP. I used Yoshimura stage1 racing cams, they are not huge cams by no means but I have 2 believe that they would provide more HP than a intake cam swap. With that being said Steve gave me a break down of the HP I gained and where it came from. He said I probably gained 5HP give or take from just the Yosh cams and Steve knows these bikes inside & out!

So....if I only gained 5HP from the Yosh cams how much do you think would be gained from an intake swap?? My guess is less than 5 and who would be able 2 tell the difference from such a marginal gain. A mod like that has 2 be done in conjunction with other mods & improvements like I stated so these small gains add up and provide a substantial improvement in HP