Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: how do you winter ready your bike  (Read 5110 times)

Offline butchersbulldogs

• Rider
how do you winter ready your bike
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
 I just moved from Bradenton Fl to north Fl I never lived anywhere where my dogs water bowl freezes i don't know what i need to do to my bike its in a shed whith no heat what precautions do I need to take?

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
Re: how do you winter ready your bike
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
Check the freezing point of the coolant, put about 1/2 can of seafoam in the fuel and take it out for a ride to get it all through the fuel system, then fill the fuel tank all the way full.  Also if you don't ride it every few weeks, put a trickle charger on the battery for a whole day about once a month.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline butchersbulldogs

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the help. Wear can you get seafoam from ? Would they have it in a auto parts store or is it a bike shop item? Thanks again
    Butchersbulldogs

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:48:24 AM »
Any parts house up here has it, tall white can, about ten bucks.  And get a battery 'tender' and leave it hooked up and it will maintain your electrics.  I recommend a Deltran Battery Jr. or Plus.  I've used Jrs for years on several bikes and never had one fail.  Under $25 most places.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline TRACK MASTER

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »
I put mine in my heated basement. :P :P
Battery tender good idea I use 1.
WILD BILL FROM EVANSVILLE
NEVER WORKED AND NEVER WILL.
5 time track champ 31 years dragracing exp.

INDY BORN INDY BRED WHEN I DIE I
WILL BE INDY DEAD!  GO COLTS!!!!

Offline jdcfrank

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • NJ
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »
I'm in New Jersey. All I do is add gas stabilizer and leave my battery tender hookup to it.  And put it on front and rear wheel stands. To keep the tires off the ground/cement garage floor.

I have never had an issues with either of my busa's
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:05:24 PM by jdcfrank »
1981 Camaro Z28
1994 Harley-Davidson Sportster
1985 Buick T-Type
2016 Yamaha R1
1988 Corvette
Replacment: 2011 Hayabusa
Stolen: 2004 Hayabusa LE Turbo

Offline prwent

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
Have owned my 01 Busa since new,  Kept in a garage all winter, no heat. Storage procedure is, Change oil, fill gas tank, keep batt. charged. NO additives to fuel.   In the spring put key in, start motor and ride all summer!!  80 K miles, 0 problems, best bike I have owned and Ive owned a ton of them!!

Offline butchersbulldogs

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »
thanks for all the replies i was not sure what to do. I allredy have a battery tender so good there I dont have any coolant in it now i am changing it at the moment wasant sure what kind to get . I dont know how cold it gets here i am still in Fl but not by much i am only 30 min to valdasta GA. thanks again for all the help         Butchersbulldogs

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:26:10 PM »
If you can, just go to the airport, fill up a gallon of aviation fuel, and run until you smell that sweet sweet smell :thumb: Either put a batter tender on it, or disconnect the battery and bring in the house, and make sure your coolant is 50/50 and you're good to go indefinitely! OH and clean oil is a good thing. Also, putting plastic down helps for the concrete condensation problem in the spring when the concrete is cold, and it's humid. Helps a lot!
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
i would'nt put sea foam in my kids tricycle
 MSDS for Seafoam  it contains :50% pale oil, 30% naphtha, 20% isopropyl alcohol.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-general-discussion/355486-seafoam-snake-oil.html
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
You're kid's trike will be fine w/o Seafoam.  I put some in the gas tank of a 91 Caddy that was idling very rough.  102,000 on the OEM injectors.  Within an hour of running it smoothed out so much that you had to really listen to hear if it was even running.  Cleans fuel systems, carbs and injectors pretty well.  For storage though I've always used Sta-Bil.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline butchersbulldogs

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
Fished getting my bike ready for winter today . I have talked to some people in town they said we get snow here but it melts realy fast .

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 05:35:36 AM »
Battery Tender, heated basement, Harley to keep it company, ride as often as I  can...........that's about it :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »
http://hcrweather.com/

80 degrees here again today,but we did get snow in our yard last week and had a low temp of 29 degrees(1st time in over 20 years).

Had to put in my worthless $.02  :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
Fished getting my bike ready for winter today . I have talked to some people in town they said we get snow here but it melts realy fast .

Looks pretty cozy to me bro. :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
You should have snow more often :lol:, 11 degrees right now going to be near 0 tonight, and if that's not bad enough Obama's coming to town Friday,  :x can it get more fucked up than that  :eek:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
Yep buddy,yer fucked. :lol:

Snow was cool for a change but gone(for the most part)the next day. :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:16:42 PM by piratediverjefff »

Offline Mattymatt

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
What I did:

1) Change the oil for sure, and the coolant if necessary.  You don't want your motor to sit in dirty oil all winter.  And, you won't want to take the time to change it first chance you get to ride in the spring!
2) Cleaned up the chain.  This would be the perfect time to replace chain/sprockets if necessary (which I did right before Christmas).
3) Thorough wash and a couple coats of wax.
4) Seafoam in the tank.  But, I don't have the guts to use half a can.  I use what is recommended on the can.
5) Invest in a pair of stands.  I personally got a couple of Pitbull stands.  They aren't the cheapest, but they're built very well.  And stable.  You will definitely want to keep your tires off of the cement in the winter because they will develop flat spots.
6) Smart battery tender hooked up.  You will want something that won't cook your battery (don't ask how I figured that out).
7) Bike cover
8) Hope for warm weather

Hope that adds to the discussion.