Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Rodney Williford Offers A CNC Machined Head w/springs  (Read 32845 times)

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Rodney Williford Offers A CNC Machined Head w/springs
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »
Recognizing that this is primarily a Turbo site, has anyone used Rodney's headwork/springs on a N/A Gen II for the street?

If so, please provide input.  Thanks

Dave
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Rodney Williford Offers A CNC Machined Head w/springs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
If I had the $ that's the route I'd go bro,I've heard a good ported head and some cams really wake these Gen II motors up. :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »
I'd definitely have the ECU reflashed ASAP with the usual mods(pair valve,top speed restriction turned off,raise rev limit 500 rpms,etc.)and maybe pick up a quick turn throttle from Schnitz(I did and like it over stock).If I were you bro I'd ride it a bit with just the pipe,ECU reflashed,etc. and if you need more zip go with the cams and ported head.If you're gonna stay with swb that's a solid 200+ hp and a big enough handful in the first couple of gears for general street riding(nothing like your old turbo bike but that was more useable in the upper gears with a stretched wheelbase).
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:49:32 AM »
Recognizing that this is primarily a Turbo site, has anyone used Rodney's headwork/springs on a N/A Gen II for the street?

Dave
From what I know of his work Rodney is a great tuner and engine man, about any work he does is first rate, I would just to remind you before investing a ton of money in traditional Eng mods that you may want to consider a stage 1 turbo, I'm not talking anything like your other bikes, but a mild stage 1 would give much more than modifying the Eng with old school methods, not knowing exactly what your after in the way of power, but I have done this myself more that once so I do know what I'm talking about, when you port the head and upgrade the valve springs you give the motor a bit more upper mid range and higher rpm HP, however your off idle and low rpm power MAY suffer a little, now more compression would make this back up and then some, also a good set of cams would really enhance this setup and for sure there is very few that better than Rodney on a dyno, I do know if you go this route you may be disappointed with the power results from just the head work, as I got a feeling your  a bit like me after you cranked on a turbo about anything else is kind of a letdown, now if you went with a whole package, headwork, bump up compression, cams, springs, adjustable cam sprockets, and a dyno tune, you would like end up with maybe 225-230 HP or maybe a bit more??? and it would be a kick ass motor, but after paying for all this work to be done, I sure you would have a ton more invested than with a stage1 turbo kit, now please keep in mind I'm not going off anything I have read or heard about in this forum or anywhere else, this is shit I have done myself, doing my own work, including most of the machine work, with both cars and bikes. and lastly no matter what direction you go, don't get screwed up and go missing again  :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
How about a Gen I cylinder punched to 1440 with all that other stuff you mentioned?  Is 1397 more practical?

What about heat on the street with that set-up for pump gas. 

Will it be difficult to start hot?  (Will have a lithium battery with more cold cranking amps)

Will the valve adjustment intervals be significantly shortened?

Top end motor noise, particularly at idle running Alysyn less than zero weight oil?

Thanks in advance!  :bike:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »

Dave
From what I know of his work Rodney is a great tuner and engine man, about any work he does is first rate, I would just to remind you before investing a ton of money in traditional Eng mods that you may want to consider a stage 1 turbo, I'm not talking anything like your other bikes, but a mild stage 1 would give much more than modifying the Eng with old school methods, not knowing exactly what your after in the way of power, but I have done this myself more that once so I do know what I'm talking about, when you port the head and upgrade the valve springs you give the motor a bit more upper mid range and higher rpm HP, however your off idle and low rpm power MAY suffer a little, now more compression would make this back up and then some, also a good set of cams would really enhance this setup and for sure there is very few that better than Rodney on a dyno, I do know if you go this route you may be disappointed with the power results from just the head work, as I got a feeling your  a bit like me after you cranked on a turbo about anything else is kind of a letdown, now if you went with a whole package, headwork, bump up compression, cams, springs, adjustable cam sprockets, and a dyno tune, you would like end up with maybe 225-230 HP or maybe a bit more??? and it would be a kick ass motor, but after paying for all this work to be done, I sure you would have a ton more invested than with a stage1 turbo kit, now please keep in mind I'm not going off anything I have read or heard about in this forum or anywhere else, this is shit I have done myself, doing my own work, including most of the machine work, with both cars and bikes. and lastly no matter what direction you go, don't get screwed up and go missing again  :lol:

Well, now we are getting into the realm of reduction in valve adjustment intervals, increased top end noise at idle, and heat.
1397?  1440? 

Rocket, thanks for the input, BTW.  I ain't goin anwhere this time.  Back for good.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:58:58 AM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »
Lots of 1397 and 1441 motors running around with a Williford head. I would say most are street / strip applications.

Lots of race bikes with them as well, turbo, nitrous, and N/A.

Nothing is going to feel like a turbo bike of course.  That said, have you even ridden the new bike yet? Who knows, you might like it box stock :-)
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »

Lots of 1397 and 1441 motors running around with a Williford head. I would say most are street / strip applications.

Nothing is going to feel like a turbo bike of course. 

That said, have you even ridden the new bike yet?

Who knows, you might like it box stock . :-)

These Gen 2 bikes are a lot better than the original Gen 1 for ridability .  .  .

:shock:
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »

Nothing is going to feel like a turbo bike of course.  That said, have you even ridden the new bike yet? Who knows, you might like it box stock :-)

No, I have yet to ride it, (shop is still waiting for some parts - they are doin' my grunt work) but with my having had 3 iterations of turbos on my 2001 - which ended up at 523 RWHP (virtually unridable on Hi-boost) and Dennis' old bike at 440 RWHP I know in my gut that I want more than 190-195 out of my N/A bike.  My magic number, i.e. my wish list for this new bike is a firm 220 with 125 ft lbs.  I am seeking a very stout/flat torque curve above 7K and more than 200 at 7500-8000 all the way to 10,500. 

Is that achievable with stock cams with adjustable sprockets? (I am afraid of bigger cams on the street) and Rodney's CNC porthed head with 1397 CCs pumping underneath?

If I can get that from my N/A bike and retain 90% "stock" reliability"............I will be like a pig in good slop!

BTW, I spoke with Rodney's spouse this morning and he is at the track testing and tuning on this fine 67 degree day, but she said he will call me this evening.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »

Dave

Well, now we are getting into the realm of reduction in valve adjustment intervals, increased top end noise at idle, and heat.
1397?  1440? 

Rocket, thanks for the input, BTW.  I ain't goin anwhere this time.  Back for good.  :thumb:
OK if your really dead set on going NA instead of turbo, I would go with 1441 as you would have the crank already, also I believe bore size of 1397 and 1441 are the same, and as long as you just used a good street/strip valve spring and the head was set up by a pro, it don't seem as though your valve adjustment intervals should much different than stock, I'v seen Busa's with 50K or more and never had the cam cover off, of course as I said the main key to all this is quality parts and a pro builder, as my time as a dyno operator is rather limited compared to some, the motor your talking about, gen2 1441, cams, head work, put together and tuned by Rodney or someone comparable, (Steve Knecum) should get you into the 240-250HP range, (about where a stage1 turbo would be with 5 or 6 psi boost on a stock eng) but you may need two batterys to start it when hot, and it would probably need race gas, you would need to ask Rodney about this, ......one last thing is you could just put the pipe on and PC get it dyno mapped and take what  it gives you..........I know that would go against the gearhead DNA we all have  :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
Yes, Rocket, I am going N/A all the way.  I do not wanna run race gas.  I do like the idea of a 1441.  I love the idea of no additional heat.  The lithium battery we are using has around 80 more cold cranking amps than a stocker.  You are making me sweat little motorcycles and my brain is on fire.

Thank you for that.  :D

Also, even though the BST carbons will not reflect on the Dyno, I am hoping the reduction in unsprung weight and rolling mass, particularly at the rim, will make the bike think it has more power than the Dyno sheet says on the street, particcularly in 3rd and 4th gear roll-ons.  Whadaythink?

You are correct about the DNA thing..........I wanna build it to 1441, more HP/Torque....stock-like reliability and ridability.

Uncle Davey
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:28:39 PM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
Not sure if you can get what you want with stock cams..

How many miles do you ride a year?

Does Tommy Grimes still have the "old" turbo bike?
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
I ride about 4-5K a year.  I would be willing to go with larger cams as long as valve adjustment intevals were "reasonable" and this afternoon I received a couple of PMs that told me "not to worry" about that issue.  The member was speaking from personal experince on his own 1441 GEN II.

Yes, Tommy still has my old bike from what I know......have not seen him in a while.  Here is what he did to it.

He apparently did not lube the chain very much, if at all, he just would jump on it, ride it and park it.  :bah:

Dunno if he ever fixed it or just parted out the carcass.  He likely parted it out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:51:44 PM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
We have a Winner, folks!!!!

Rodney and I have come to an accord and here is the list:

Dyno pulls before and after kit installation including complete tuning of 1441 motor on Dyno for pump gas.
Gen I cylinder bored and plated
Brock's clutch mod
Raise rev limiter 500 RPM's but retain stock 186MPH cutout in sixth
Reuse Ti-valves with stronger springs for cams - cam profile to be as linear as is possible
Web cams with adjustable sprockets
1441 piston kit
My cylinder head CNC ported

Target is 220-225 RWHP on pump with 125 ft. lbs

That concludes the list.

The bike below - I built it in 1984 and in Sept of 1985 "Hot Bike" ran it on the cover - my 15 minutes of fame, I guess.
It was later featured in EasyRiders as well. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:25:13 AM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline speedduck

• Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
We built that kind of motor for my friends gen2, 1441cc, biggest cams that stock valve train accepts, and if i remember right, we left the stock springs in. Otherwise max for titanium valves would be 43lbs when don`t want excessive wear in street bike. He drove it quite a lot without any issues, 3tmls went in couple weeks touring. He wanted to hit the 200mph also, so limiters were off, result 208 on a mile.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »
Why are you retaining the stock 186mph cutoff in 6th?? ??
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »

My 200 MPH days are over.  When I shift into 6th, the dash will indicate 6th and not 5th.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »

My 200 MPH days are over.  When I shift into 6th, the dash will indicate 6th and not 5th.
Wont it still say 6th if you remove the 186 limiter with ECU Editor vs using a TRE???
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 08:28:18 AM »
In all honesty, you have me at a disadvantage.  I do not know.  But if that is the case, we will bypass the limiter.  I will let Rodney make the call.

The dang rims are 4 weeks out in production and shipping...............it will be a while.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
I made a "Command Decision" this morning in moment of epiphany.  When all is done and Rodney calls me to come get this bike, I am going to see if he would be willing to keep it a bit longer and take it to the track and make a couple of passes.
I would really like to have that slip and post it up for you gentlemen.  That would be more fun than a barrel of full of 10 dollar bills.

Whadayathink?????  :bike:

(Don't tell him, please.) :wink:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:53:00 AM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »

That is no longer and issue with an ECU flash/tune.  The bike will be unrestricted and the gear position sensor will work like normal.  It's all up to your hand and gearing if you run 200+.  I'd just make sure the bike is unrestricted if you want the most out of it regardless if you plan to run 6th to redline.. ;)
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »

That is no longer and issue with an ECU flash/tune.  The bike will be unrestricted and the gear position sensor will work like normal.  It's all up to your hand and gearing if you run 200+.  I'd just make sure the bike is unrestricted if you want the most out of it regardless if you plan to run 6th to redline.. ;)

I don't think I have the gonads to go that fast anymore.   I would let some pro do it, if the opportunity presents itself.   :moped:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
We have a Winner, folks!!!!

Rodney and I have come to an accord and here is the list:

Dyno pulls before and after kit installation including complete tuning of 1441 motor on Dyno for pump gas.
Gen I cylinder bored and plated
Brock's clutch mod
Raise rev limiter 500 RPM's but retain stock 186MPH cutout in sixth
Reuse Ti-valves with stronger springs for cams - cam profile to be as linear as is possible
Web cams with adjustable sprockets
1441 piston kit
My cylinder head CNC ported

Target is 220-225 RWHP on pump with 125 ft. lbs

That concludes the list.

The bike below - I built it in 1984 and in Sept of 1985 "Hot Bike" ran it on the cover - my 15 minutes of fame, I guess.
It was later featured in EasyRiders as well.
Sounds like a plan, only thing I question is using the stock Ti valves with heavy springs???? but Rodneys the pro

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
The Web adjustable cams he will be using will provide a linear/flat torque/HP curve.......giving a broad range of power/torque in exchange for a few peak HP.  Spring pressure will be moderately more but not astronomic.

That is why I asked for 220-225 instead of 235+.

Valves should be just fine.

Since I will not be racing this bike, what can I expect for engine life on a fresh 1441 build? 

Any thoughts?

Would 2" in the swingarm be woirthwhile?

Would it kill the handling in the mountains?

Or would the bike not care?

Thanks

(P.S. I worked for Danny for several years here back in the '90s - Go to "Danny Johnson Racing")
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:04:18 AM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »
The Web adjustable cams he will be using will provide a linear/flat torque/HP curve.......giving a broad range of power/torque in exchange for a few peak HP.  Spring pressure will be moderately more but not astronomic.

That is why I asked for 220-225 instead of 235+.

Valves should be just fine.

Since I will not be racing this bike, what can I expect for engine life on a fresh 1441 build? 

Any thoughts?

Would 2" in the swingarm be woirthwhile?

Would it kill the handling in the mountains?

Or would the bike not care?

Thanks

(P.S. I worked for Danny for several years here back in the '90s - Go to "Danny Johnson Racing")
OK I guess on the springs, its just I'v heard horror stories about the Ti valve with heavy springs.....and the 2in arm is a great idea, the bike will be easyer to keep the front end down, and at  our age we should not pushing curves hard enough to ever see the difference of a 2in arm