TECHNICAL > F.A.Q

Ceramic Bearings..................

(1/6) > >>

Ghost-Geezer:
I had some in the last bike Dennis built for me.......it was, I recall, a GT35 with ceramics in the turbo itself. 

What about wheels?  Is there a noticable difference in friction loss with ceramic wheel bearings on a Busa?

2nd question: If ceramics are so "friction free", why can they not be used as rod-bearing surfaces, or can they only be used in spheres?

Ghost-Geezer:
Are there no techno guys around?

MJ Williams:
Call Big Dave at WW Bearing and he'll give you the straight poop.

Ghost-Geezer:
Thanks, pal. :)

Ghost-Geezer:
Well, I did find out some things about ceramic bearings:
                                                                                            1. They are 40% lighter than steel
                                                                                            2. They are 100 times rounder than steel - a perfect sphere
                                                                                            3. They last 5 times longer than a steel bearing - they are stronger
                                                                                            4. They provide a fraction of the resistance of a steel bearing.
                                                                                            5. They are great for turbo applications, can take the heat and do the job more efficiently. 
                                                                                            6. They cost a bit more, but the long term benefits are worth it.
                                                                                            7. Professional cyclists swear by them and carbon fibre rims for their bikes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version