Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 43051 times)

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Re: Oil
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
A wise man once told me that if you refuse to benefit from another man's lifetime of knowledge, you are a fool's fool.  That was a great post, thank you, Wolf.

Full synthetic, motorcycle specific...........Amsoil, Motul, etc.  No "less than zero weight."  If I read correctly between the lines, oil tech has surpassed engine

tech a long time ago for our purposes.     
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »
Dave, you wish has come true. The SL 65 AMG is equipped with a twin turbo V-12. 621 hp and 738 ft-lb of torque. But you might need to get a hammer out of your Craftsman toolbox and give your piggybank a whack since the car starts at $215k.
Dave&Wolfe,I was poking arounf on the MBusa website and could not believe the $215k sticker for the Big Daddy SL65!. When I had my last AMG back in 09 the mighty SL was $185k.
The sad part is,how absurdly fast the Benzo's(especially the AMG)depreciate. You can buy a fully loaded 09 SL65 with decently low mileage for $65-70k. That was a $200k car when it rolled off the lot 6yrs ago. :td:

Yes, they are great deals used. But I woukd personally not own either an MB or BMW out of warranty. An SL 65 has astronomical repair bills if something happens.
A lot of wanna be Baller's will buy a 5-6yr old AMG for half the price it was when new&then flaunt it and make sure everyone knows its an AMG.

And then they are in utter disbelief when their brake job just cost $4500. Or if the Airmatic needs to be replaced(SL55's are notorious for this) and the repair bill is $7000. What these wanna be Ballers dont understand is that just because you bought a $190,000 used SL65 for $60k,youre still paying for parts and labor on a $190,000 car!

Like Wolfe said,Id NEVER buy any used AMG or BMW M car without a factory warranty still in place.

Sorry Uncle Dave,this thread was hijacked :hys:

Hijacked is the best thing that could possibly happen to an oil thread. :lol:
Ain't that the truth :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2015, 10:38:56 PM »
Dave, you wish has come true. The SL 65 AMG is equipped with a twin turbo V-12. 621 hp and 738 ft-lb of torque. But you might need to get a hammer out of your Craftsman toolbox and give your piggybank a whack since the car starts at $215k.
Dave&Wolfe,I was poking arounf on the MBusa website and could not believe the $215k sticker for the Big Daddy SL65!. When I had my last AMG back in 09 the mighty SL was $185k.
The sad part is,how absurdly fast the Benzo's(especially the AMG)depreciate. You can buy a fully loaded 09 SL65 with decently low mileage for $65-70k. That was a $200k car when it rolled off the lot 6yrs ago. :td:

Yes, they are great deals used. But I woukd personally not own either an MB or BMW out of warranty. An SL 65 has astronomical repair bills if something happens.
A lot of wanna be Baller's will buy a 5-6yr old AMG for half the price it was when new&then flaunt it and make sure everyone knows its an AMG.

And then they are in utter disbelief when their brake job just cost $4500. Or if the Airmatic needs to be replaced(SL55's are notorious for this) and the repair bill is $7000. What these wanna be Ballers dont understand is that just because you bought a $190,000 used SL65 for $60k,youre still paying for parts and labor on a $190,000 car!

Like Wolfe said,Id NEVER buy any used AMG or BMW M car without a factory warranty still in place.

I actually enjoyed reading about the cars members used to own.  I agree 100% that a MB or BMW shouldn't be owned out of warranty.  I used to have the privilege of calling customers and letting them know little details like; to get the doors on their 600SEL to close would cost $1500 + labor for the vacuum pump that pulled them down the last 1/2 inch...  :eek: :hys:  Suddenly the "good deal" they think they got on the car didn't seem so good.  There is a reason these cars crash in value when out of warranty!
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »
Brad Penn 10w-40 Green for Mine. Changed at least once a season if not racing and usually every other weekend of drag racing.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

I actually enjoyed reading about the cars members used to own.  I agree 100% that a MB or BMW shouldn't be owned out of warranty.  I used to have the privilege of calling customers and letting them know little details like; to get the doors on their 600SEL to close would cost $1500 + labor for the vacuum pump that pulled them down the last 1/2 inch...  :eek: :hys:  Suddenly the "good deal" they think they got on the car didn't seem so good.  There is a reason these cars crash in value when out of warranty!

I agree that we all some cool cars, I never had a AMG or BMW, but I did have a 72 Chevelle in 73, 74, that ran mid 11s at the drags, and this was a real street car not a pro mod wannabe 3750lbs no nitrous all motor, and before getting on a soapbox screaming about warranty cause the car cost's $200.000.00 or whatever, think about the poor dealership mechanic's that have to work on that car for warranty labor time, the members on here that are techs with a major company and work in a dealership know exactly what I'm talking about, the rest of you do not,............but oil threads, come on, there has been no significant change with oil in 40 years, you must of course use the rec weight and a good quality oil, but that dead horse has already been made into dog food, now before everybody starts firing back about this or that oil, just ask yourself one thing, when you go to your favorite parts store and put your money down for your favorite oil recamended by everybody and there brother, how exactly do you know what is in that oil can, other than whats printed on the label ???,  I geuss what I'm saying is gasoline is pumped through the same pipeline that go's into 8 or 10 different companys tanks, so who says there not doing the same with oil ???
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 09:03:15 PM »

I agree that we all some cool cars, I never had a AMG or BMW, but I did have a 72 Chevelle in 73, 74, that ran mid 11s at the drags, and this was a real street car not a pro mod wannabe 3750lbs no nitrous all motor, and before getting on a soapbox screaming about warranty cause the car cost's $200.000.00 or whatever, think about the poor dealership mechanic's that have to work on that car for warranty labor time, the members on here that are techs with a major company and work in a dealership know exactly what I'm talking about, the rest of you do not,............but oil threads, come on, there has been no significant change with oil in 40 years, you must of course use the rec weight and a good quality oil, but that dead horse has already been made into dog food, now before everybody starts firing back about this or that oil, just ask yourself one thing, when you go to your favorite parts store and put your money down for your favorite oil recamended by everybody and there brother, how exactly do you know what is in that oil can, other than whats printed on the label ???,  I geuss what I'm saying is gasoline is pumped through the same pipeline that go's into 8 or 10 different companys tanks, so who says there not doing the same with oil ???
[/quote]

I know exactly what you are talking about. I wasn't at a dealer but one of the better independents around. I spent 10 years beating up my body to beat flat rate and make a decent living before I saw the light.  The worst is that warranty time is even less!  I was barely 30 and had carpel tunnel in one hand, and my back and shoulders contently hurt.  Not to mention all the money that was getting spent on the snapon truck. LOL
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »

I know exactly what you are talking about. I wasn't at a dealer but one of the better independents around. I spent 10 years beating up my body to beat flat rate and make a decent living before I saw the light.  The worst is that warranty time is even less!  I was barely 30 and had carpel tunnel in one hand, and my back and shoulders contently hurt.  Not to mention all the money that was getting spent on the snapon truck. LOL
[/quote]Its more like Snap on, Matco, Mac, Cornwell, and I wish 10 years is all I pissed away, I'l be 61 in June, been doing it since old enough to hold a wrench, whats funny is for a lot of years it was not bad, made some good money, pissed away most of it on race cars, had a ball, but now being older at times I think maybe I should has invested a little differently, ..........and LOL my local Pep Boys is running a killer deal on 15w-50 mobil one 5qts with filter for $26 or $27 so I guess the Busa and Harley get mobil 1 next oil change

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »
Stopped by Roger's (my old boss at Roger Marion Automotive) last week and they had a 2004 SL55 AMG like my old 2005.  5.5 litre Supercharged.
Had 36K on it and the guy needed a new idler pulley.  Just the pulley alone was 472 bucks.  On an American car Roger told me it would be about 35 bucks.  That tells the whole tale.  In a nutshell.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline DoD70

• Rider
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of an oil related engine failure when the oil wasn't dirty and the filter wasn't clogged?  Ever?

Heck yeah!  In my own experience with my turbo-Busa powered dragster. 

I always ran Mobil 1 in my dragster and kept blowing up motors even though the oil pressure gauge was happy.  Then I read an article in an Australian magazine that compared 17 different oils using the oil industry standard ball bearing test.  To make a long story short, Mobil 1 finished dead last in film strength.  I forget what was first but Royal Purple finished second and third with a film strength that was 82 times higher than Mobil 1 and since it was available locally I thought I would give it a try.

The year before I switched, the motor suffered from catastrophic spontaneous crankcase ventilation five times.  The last year I had the dragster it always had Royal Purple in the pan and I made more passes that year than the previous five combined.

Car and driver weighed 990 lbs and I was running at least 24 lbs of boost the year of five blow ups.  The Royal Purple year had no blowups at higher boost levels, many more passes and perfect rod/main bearings at the end of the year. 

Buck

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:27 PM »
My understanding of Mobil 1 is that it is not and has not been the same product that was produced upon its' introduction.  It is not even a true synthetic any more.  I have never heard a bad word about Royal Purple other than its' price.  I have used and abused Amsoil Motorcycle Specific 10W40 in my earlier Busas (two of which were turbos) with no apparent negative results.........Motul motorcycle specific 10w-40 is supposed to be excellent also. 

Alisyn may have some good oils, but I have not had personal experience with them yet. 

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:49 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of an oil related engine failure when the oil wasn't dirty and the filter wasn't clogged?  Ever?

I always ran Mobil 1 in my dragster and kept blowing up motors even though the oil pressure gauge was happy.  Then I read an article in an Australian magazine that compared 17 different oils using the oil industry standard ball bearing test.  To make a long story short, Mobil 1 finished dead last in film strength.  I forget what was first but Royal Purple finished second and third with a film strength that was 82 times higher than Mobil 1 and since it was available locally I thought I would give it a try.

The year before I switched, the motor suffered from catastrophic spontaneous crankcase ventilation five times.  The last year I had the dragster it always had Royal Purple in the pan and I made more passes that year than the previous five combined.

Car and driver weighed 990 lbs and I was running at least 24 lbs of boost the year of five blow ups.  The Royal Purple year had no blowups at higher boost levels, many more passes and perfect rod/main bearings at the end of the year. 

Buck

OH MY GOD HE'S ALIVE!!!

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »

Buck

No offense but to me,it sounds like you may need a new engine builder.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline DoD70

• Rider
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 06:07:19 AM »
No offense taken.  But, the engine builder wasn't the problem.  The oil was. 

I believed the Mobil 1 hype and got bitten by its mediocrity.  The data doesn't lie about film strength of Mobil 1 vs Royal Purple.  Even my kids' Jr dragster showed similar benefits from changing over to RP.

Same engine builder, btw.

Buck

Offline DoD70

• Rider
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »

[....]

Buck

OH MY GOD HE'S ALIVE!!!

Yeah, once in a while I find the post button.  Heard you wanted to sell your E85 rocket.  Is that so?

Buck

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:04 PM »

Buck

Kinda opposite of the results I had with the over priced Royal Purple junk.  In the differentials on my Exploder any temp under 20°F would cause it to foam and come out the vents, in the Busa it turned black at 2000 miles (not dark brown from contamination black and smelled burnt) in the KLR it turned black and the clutch hated it.  Now I run Mobile 1 in the bikes and whatever synthetic is on sale in the cars.  Clutches work good on the bikes now and the diffs don't foam up on the Sploder anymore.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline DoD70

• Rider
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 05:29:09 AM »

Buck

Kinda opposite of the results I had with the over priced Royal Purple junk.  In the differentials on my Exploder any temp under 20°F would cause it to foam and come out the vents, in the Busa it turned black at 2000 miles (not dark brown from contamination black and smelled burnt) in the KLR it turned black and the clutch hated it.  Now I run Mobile 1 in the bikes and whatever synthetic is on sale in the cars.  Clutches work good on the bikes now and the diffs don't foam up on the Sploder anymore.

Thinking back I was having a little trouble with my clutch staying locked up down track with RP that I hadn't noticed with Mobil 1 but then most of my focus was on what to do to keep the bearings happy and the rods inside.  Finally used a pancake air cylinder mounted to the clutch cover and tied to the turbo to help lock the clutch.  Looked Frankensteinish but it worked.

Never had the black, burnt or foam problem.

Buck

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
Amsoil 10W40 Motorcycle Specific full synthetic or Motul 10W40 Motorcycle Specific full synthetic.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »
3 in 1, seriously...full synth of course! :bike:
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
3 in 1, seriously...full synth of course! :bike:

Sinclair - straight 40 wt or Wolfs Head straight 50 wt.

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »
I experimented with so many oils in the past I forgot about most of them, now the race car did need a heavyer weight oil mostly 50w racing oil, brand primarily Valvoline, but Pennzoil also worked fine and with all the motorcycles over the years, I normaly used whatever oil was on hand, except the OLD Harleys they needed 70 weight cause they leaked so much, :lol: but all the modern stuff I used reg  10-40 or 20-50, for me the extra money spent on the latest/greatest reg or synthetic was a giant waste of money, also I never ever had a oil related eng problem, ................................oh one other thing these oil threads are like the worst gum on your shoe ever :lol:

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »
Quote from: DoD70

Yeah, once in a while I find the post button.  Heard you wanted to sell your E85 rocket.  Is that so?

Buck

I'm a semi-proud owner of a 2012 CTS-V Coupe now...the bike isn't getting the attention i'd like to give it and i think my fastest days might be a bit behind me...

The thought has crossed my mind. Given the choice at this very moment...i'd keep the car over the bike...

460hp was fun for all of 2 pulls before the fear of god took hold. My next busa will be much lower speed & maintenance. Think Pipe/PC & Done.

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
Quote from: DoD70

Buck

I'm a semi-proud owner of a 2012 CTS-V Coupe now...the bike isn't getting the attention i'd like to give it and i think my fastest days might be a bit behind me...

The thought has crossed my mind. Given the choice at this very moment...i'd keep the car over the bike...

460hp was fun for all of 2 pulls before the fear of god took hold. My next busa will be much lower speed & maintenance. Think Pipe/PC & Done.

Not to veer off the subject of this important thread but.....it's an oil thread so what the hell.  I had (and still have) similar feelings after buying a C6 Corvette roadster a couple years back.  I like a nice day ride on the Busa or the CBX but when thinking of my next tour, I'm considering taking the Vette....again.  I took it last year on a 4,000 eight state run...just because.  Kind of a similar experience with the top down in every state, Grand Canyon, Pikes Peak, Glacier NP, Lolo Pass, OR and CA coast hiway...was spectacular!  And, very very much kinder to my body.  I've done the same many times on my bikes but now that I'm getting older I may curtail my long bike trips and take the car.
Ride em if ya got em